Caribou Meat

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Caribou is fantastic. Late September/early October bulls with no funk, January cow too. I soak my steaks in cold water to pull more blood out. Trim the fat and connective tissue, cook slow and low, served over parmesan risotto...mmm. Ground is great for tacos, spaghetti and exceptional for burgers. Caribou Eggs Benedict is absolutely killer as well!

Caribou is my least favorite of the Alaska big game. That said, we eat it every year. There is an August cow in the freezer right now. I just have other stuff I like better.

The issue is generally that it makes very dry roasts and tough steaks without special treatment. Burger is fine for general cooking. Cubed up, it's fair for stews. I usually take the backstrap, tenderloin, and a few roasts of the rump. Burger the rest.

Our go-to is moose, and I consider it a grade below that. I once did a caribou and a mt goat roast in the same pot. The goat roast was so much better, it wasn't funny.

ptarmigan

FNG
It's obvious that everyone has their own tastes. Everyone in my house prefers caribou over moose, whitetail deer, or blacktail deer. If they didn't I'd spend time hunting something else I guess. Might as well bring home what everyone likes.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425