Caribou Rifle and Defense Option

AKBorn

WKR
Thanks for the nice reply (others as well).

I read a lot on forums but do not post to much as I don’t usually have much to say that adds any value. I am good with differing opinions.

I am going to go with the 375. I am comfortable with it and shoot it well.

It’s a Ruger M77 and with the safety on the bolt is locked closed.

I have had other guns that the bolt opened up on me while attached to a pack and the round came out.

Really looking forward to the trip.

Thanks again.
A lot of good thoughts in this thread, both pro and con handgun. Sounds like you're well on your way to deciding how you want to roll.

I also run a Ruger M77, in .338 WinMag. I opted NOT to run with the safety on (which locks the bolt closed), because when hiking I don't typically have a round in the chamber in AK, and when I was practicing quick chamber/shoulder/shoot drills, I was a LOT slower in getting a round chambered after trying to flip the safety off. I found after I started using a Kifaru Gunbearer, the number of times my bolt came open while hiking dropped to almost zero. I also got into the habit of checking to ensure the bolt was closed while hiking.

One other thought, which may or may have not been mentioned already -

If you have a variable power scope, consider turning it to the lowest power when hiking, in camp, butchering meat, etc. It's a lot easier to do a quick load/point/shoot when the scope is set to 2x instead of 9x, and you almost always have time to turn the scope to high power if the animal you want to shoot is far enough away to need the higher power.

I also run a Ruger M77, in .338 WinMag. I opted NOT to run with the safety on (which locks the bolt closed), because when hiking I don't typically have a round in the chamber in AK, and when I was practicing quick chamber/shoulder/shoot drills, I was a LOT slower in getting a round chambered after trying to flip the safety off. I found after I started using a Kifaru Gunbearer, the number of times my bolt came open while hiking dropped to almost zero. I also got into the habit of checking to ensure the bolt was closed while hiking.

I've brought this up before, but the alternative solution for the bolt opening thing on most bolt rifles is to LOWER THE FIRING PIN ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER. The additional spring pressure of a cock on opening bolt action will keep brush from flipping the bolt open 95% of the time. Especially true on a M77, which has a fairly stiff cocking action.

It's simple.

1. double check chamber is empty
2. point muzzle is safe direction (it already was right?)
3. hold back trigger while slowly lowering the bolt handle. With the trigger sear disengaged, the firing pin will lower on to the empty chamber.

It will cure the bolt opening issue, the gun is in a safe condition, and if you need it in a hurry there is no messing with the safety.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
I've brought this up before, but the alternative solution for the bolt opening thing on most bolt rifles is to LOWER THE FIRING PIN ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER. The additional spring pressure of a cock on opening bolt action will keep brush from flipping the bolt open 95% of the time. Especially true on a M77, which has a fairly stiff cocking action.

It's simple.

3. hold back trigger while slowly lowering the bolt handle. With the trigger sear disengaged, the firing pin will lower on to the empty chamber.

It will cure the bolt opening issue, the gun is in a safe condition, and if you need it in a hurry there is no messing with the safety.
This what I've done for years and I've never had and issue. Like Yellowknife said no fumbling with a saftey when time is of an essence.

OneSkinnyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t understand the problem carrying a rifle with one in the chamber, safety on. People carry handguns everyday this way with no issues or complaint but for some reason this is a stigma among rifle hunters. Not trying to call anyone out, but I always thought this was odd

I don’t understand the problem carrying a rifle with one in the chamber, safety on. People carry handguns everyday this way with no issues or complaint but for some reason this is a stigma among rifle hunters. Not trying to call anyone out, but I always thought this was odd

My policy is, whether alone or when accompanied by anyone else, is magazine full and chamber empty at all times.

Personally, my rifles are on an empty chamber with bolt closed, safety off, and firing pin released.

Others whom I've hunted with and some that I've continued to hunt with, either engage their rifles safeties or they don't engage those safeties. Either way, all chambers are empty at ALL times, until the time comes to actually pull a trigger.

However, with all that said, I've been with more than just a few idiots the past fifty-some years that didn't follow protocol and some of their rifles went off unexpectedly at the most asinine times.

So, my policy always has been and always will be, magazines full, chambers empty, bolt closed, and safeties on or off (whatever the rifle handler prefers).

xsn10s

WKR
I've only hunted caribou twice in my life back in the late 1990's. I carried a 45-70 Marlin the first year and then a 30-06 the next. Four inch Model 29 44 mag stoked with the now discontinued Federal 300 gr CastCores. Unless you keep a rifle with you all the time a pistol is handy to have. I had while fishing, sleeping, hunting, and bathroom breaks. I can't say that for the rifle. When I'm in areas where things can fight back I like having two firearms. YMMV.

It's simple.

You can do this with a round in the chamber as well. My bro in laws entire family have been carrying rifles with a shell in the chamber and and a disengaged firing pin for decades.

xsn10s

WKR
You can do this with a round in the chamber as well. My bro in laws entire family have been carrying rifles with a shell in the chamber and and a disengaged firing pin for decades.
I might be wrong but I think you'd have the primer resting on the firing pin protruding through the bolthead. If that's the case then a drop on the buttstock could cause the rifle to fire that cartridge.

I might be wrong but I think you'd have the primer resting on the firing pin protruding through the bolthead. If that's the case then a drop on the buttstock could cause the rifle to fire that cartridge.
When he told me about this, I did some pretty significant testing to see if I could get a round to fire because I had the same concerns and I couldnt. I still don’t carry my rifle this way, but I know several who do.

dont even trust your self against your self eh.
I trust myself to do the right thing and always be careful. Death comes when people take things for granted and don't use proper caution. You'd be surprised at how quickly it comes, without warning. Always better to be on the safe side, instead of taking short cuts.

xsn10s

WKR
When he told me about this, I did some pretty significant testing to see if I could get a round to fire because I had the same concerns and I couldnt. I still don’t carry my rifle this way, but I know several who do.
I still wouldn't advocate it. I seem to remember when I shot competitions a round going off when dropped during a practise. The instructor matched up the primer strike and concluded that the cartridge fired when the primer landed on the rim of another dropped 38 special cartridge. One in a million chance. I did some drop tested on primed brass, but I didn't do like a 4 ft drop test. And the rifles all had Sims buttpads. I wouldn't be surprised if a round went off from a good fall. I could see carrying a rifle on an empty chamber firing pin down or chamber hot. With a the rifle hot and firing pin down I'd consider it the same as a hot chamber.

oenanthe

WKR
My thoughts are the same. Guns are always loaded ptarmigan grouse and duck hunting. What would the difference be if your hiking around for caribou moose or deer.
On a few occasions, I've had the safety get flipped when pushing through brush. If I'd had one in the chamber in those situations that would be a very dangerous situation - one in the chamber, safety off, and I might not realize the safety is off.

I never have one in the chamber unless the rifle is in my hands and use is imminent. Basic safety rules. Everybody I hunt with does the same; otherwise I would not hunt with them.

to each his own, but in the light of this thread it is about using a rifle as bear defense and typically i feel like a bear attack in the brush is going to be a surprise and the use is imminent.

to each his own, but in the light of this thread it is about using a rifle as bear defense and typically i feel like a bear attack in the brush is going to be a surprise and the use is imminent.

In the confrontational bear encounters I've had over the past 6 decades, it always comes as a HUGE surprise, so to speak. Definitely not fun. Fortunately, I've never had to shoot a bear (yet) during an unprovoked charge. Came close, though. In all encounters where a bear came at me, I heard the bear before I saw it coming,. And in all instances, even when it was within 30 or 40 yards when a bear started its rush, I had time to unlimber my rifle and work the bolt. Practice makes perfect in that sort of situation, though. Definitely want to know your rifle and abilities well, when traipsing around in the woods. Nevertheless, and since ominous bear encounters are so rare indeed, I don't see the need of packing a rifle/shotgun AND a pistol.

xsn10s

WKR
I was tracking a pair of cougars one year in fresh snow. I had a Interarms MarkX in 243 win so I felt pretty well protected. That was until I followed the tracks full circle and realized they were back tracking me. So I headed towards higher ground to spot them behind me. Murphy decided that was a good time for my sling swivel to break sending my rifle muzzle first into the snow. I've carried either two rifles or a pistol and rifle ever since while hunting. While fishing I'll carry my revolver stoked with snake shot a jhp during the spring and just jhp in the winter.

xsn10s

WKR
Nothing wrong with carrying one reliable rifle. Nothing wrong with carrying a backup too.