Caribou Rifle and Defense Option

xsn10s

WKR
Many people don't see the need for even having a firearm. That's fine they don't have to have one. I do see a need. And as far as I'm concerned one is none and two is one. When my rifle sling broke it could of easily just fallen off a cliff. Leaving me with no firearm.

Yeah, I had my rifle take a tumble off a 300 foot cliff during a mountain goat hunt. That was a little concerning for a moment. Wasn't sure what I was going to discover when I descended back to it. Also had my rifle come off my pack when I tumbled off a series of little cliffs during a bear hunt [note: I got whacked in the head when my rifle caught up to me] and that was a little unnerving (lol).

xsn10s

WKR
Yeah, I had my rifle take a tumble off a 300 foot cliff during a mountain goat hunt. That was a little concerning for a moment. Wasn't sure what I was going to discover when I descended back to it. Also had my rifle come off my pack when I tumbled off a series of little cliffs during a bear hunt [note: I got whacked in the head when my rifle caught up to me] and that was a little unnerving (lol).
Was there electrical tape on the muzzle when it the rifle wacked you on the head? ;) Glad you made it out okay.

I had just killed a bear and had the hide and skull on my pack, with all my other daily hunting junk inside, and when I left the kill site a few minutes before I hadn't bothered to dig out the roll of electric tape and reapply another batch. So no, no tape over the muzzle when I went cartwheeling down those ledges.

xsn10s

WKR
I see a pattern here. no electrical tape on the muzzle cause rifles to go tumbling down.

Reactions: WCB

ORfish

Lil-Rokslider
Depends when and where you want to schedule your bear attack. If you plan on not being surprised, and only be attacked by bears from a distance, the rifle is ideal. Plenty of time to manually disengage safety, chamber a round, check that the scope is set to lowest power and the scope covers are off. Probably best to have a checklist taped to side of the stock. If you plan on being attacked by surprise (short range in alders/ coming over a hill, etc) then a double action pistol or a glock (something without a safety that needs to be turned off) is preferable. Caliber is not important. (https://sportingclassicsdaily.com/d...tols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/) Sights on pistol are also unimportant, as you will be using the spray and pray approach. Bears can charge at 35 mph, so there will be no worrying about obtaining a sight picture or discharging more than a few rounds.

WCB

WKR
Depends when and where you want to schedule your bear attack. If you plan on not being surprised, and only be attacked by bears from a distance, the rifle is ideal. Plenty of time to manually disengage safety, chamber a round, check that the scope is set to lowest power and the scope covers are off. Probably best to have a checklist taped to side of the stock. If you plan on being attacked by surprise (short range in alders/ coming over a hill, etc) then a double action pistol or a glock (something without a safety that needs to be turned off) is preferable. Caliber is not important. (https://sportingclassicsdaily.com/d...tols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/) Sights on pistol are also unimportant, as you will be using the spray and pray approach. Bears can charge at 35 mph, so there will be no worrying about obtaining a sight picture or discharging more than a few rounds.
Never knew guys walk around with guns unloaded all of the time. Sing rifle of pack, throw safety off and let her buck. If you carry a sidearm chambered no reason long gun can't be chambered.

ORfish

Lil-Rokslider
The gun in your hand is the best one. I'm not putting down a weapon to pick up another one during attack. Bear pepper spray doesn't count, it's only seasoning.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
I never carry a loaded chamber in a rifle and won't hunt with anyone who does. The odds of inadvertently being shot far outweigh the remote chance of being mauled when you're walking around in rough country, in and out of vehicles, boats, canoes, planes, etc.