Caribou Shoulder Mount Loose Antler

AnchorF22

WKR
I have a caribou shoulder mount that fell off the wall during an earthquake, and as a result one of the antlers is loose. There is a bit of play back and forth, with some space around the base of the antler now. Any thoughts on how to repair that? My only thought right now is to pour some type of compound into the space that would set up and secure the antler again. What do you guys think?

Ohh ouch.
If it was me I would consult a taxidermist and probably pay them to fix it.
But possibly pegging the antler and making it removable would work.

JMDavies

WKR
I've had a similar accident happen and my taxidermist came out to my house and fixed it there. He was concerned that transporting it would do more damage.

OP
AnchorF22

AnchorF22

WKR
Ok, thanks guys. I think you're right-- this will probably require professional work. I was hoping there was a "go to" compound for this kind of application.

Ok, thanks guys. I think you're right-- this will probably require professional work. I was hoping there was a "go to" compound for this kind of application.
I just doubt they would charge all that much, esp if it's the original taxidermist.
The critters I have mounted mean enough to me I just wouldn't want to chance it is all.

OP
AnchorF22

AnchorF22

WKR
I agree BR-- this one was my first caribou with a rifle, and I picked him out of a lineup of hundreds. I want him on the wall the rest of my life, so it's worth getting fixed up properly by a pro. Great perspective, thanks!

WCB

WKR
I have the same thing going on with an impala...shot it when I was 12 yrs old...less then 2 months back from the Taxi it fell off the wall and one horn loose around the base. We just hung it back up stayed there for years. Now after a couple moves and a couple of wall relocations in my current house its about ready to fall out.

Right away I probably would have got away with some epoxy shot underneath but now I am bringing it to the Taxidermist. He will do it no charge but he is the original and I am also bringing him 2 deer from last year at the same time.

OP
AnchorF22

AnchorF22

WKR
WCB, sorry to hear about your impala! I hope it works out for you to get it back its original glory. I dropped mine off with my taxidermist this morning... not that same one who did this mount, but he's done work for me before. He said it's a cracked skull plate and he sees these all the time, especially after our big earthquake in Nov '18. Should be ready this week!

OP
AnchorF22

AnchorF22

WKR
Gents, just to close out this conversation now that my taxidermist has finished the work...
Yes the skull plate was cracked, so the taxi filled in the form with a bunch of bondo and extra screws to hold everything secure. It was a couple hours of work and a pretty reasonable cost to get this fixed up. Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations here!