Caribou Success in Alaska

I've had a fantastic time hunting Caribou this year in Alaska. We started in mid July and I think I just finished my last hunt of the season this past weekend. In all, I was able to hunt three distinct caribou herds and experienced hunting resident herds with few sightings, full on migration and lastly two rut hunts that were the most incredible days bow hunting I've had in awhile.

Our first hunt was in July. A quick weekend trip with my friend that took us around 1400 miles round trip. On this hunt, we spotted a lone bull far off and decided to make a play since sightings were sparse. On our hike to him we came to a little ridge next to a creek and as I looked down towards my boot I noticed I had stepped right on a hornets nest.... not wanting to get bit, I moved forward quickly and when I looked up I was greeted by 3 bulls staring right at me, 30 yards below. We had not seen these when we started but I calmly knelt down and they kind of walked off, not spooked. So we made a big loop to get ahead of them and about 2 hours later I was nestled behind a root ball in the middle of the dry river bed, 180 yards from the three bulls. After 2 more hours of sitting there, waiting for them to make a move, the finally got up. Once on their feet, they sprinted the other direction, making them about 500 yards away. About the time I lost hope, they turned right around and ran back to exactly where I was set up, and this bull gave me a 25 yard shot.

Here he is as he lay. Not a big bull, but a mid July caribou that was easily the best tasting caribou I've ever eaten.

July caribou.jpg

2020 July Caribou.jpg

OP
Nick Muche
The next Caribou hunt was a few weeks later and at the beginning of August. Usually around this time is when you can expect to see pulse's of caribou coming through the area. We certainly did, too! This was another quick weekend hunt where we put on around 1500 miles round trip, slept in the truck and ate simple shit like sandwich's.

Since I had already taken a caribou, my buddy was up first and as my luck dictated, there was a few really nice bulls in the group! He was able to put an incredible stalk on the bulls and arrowed the best one in the group! He died in a damn pond about 8ft below the tundra, so getting this horse up for photos was a chore!

Aug 2020.jpg

A few hours later found me stalking a lone bull on the side of a nice tundra ridge. I walked about a mile to get around and above him. After a brisk hike, I was 90 yards away and he was in zombie mode, facing me but totally unaware. I decided to wait and let him make a move instead of bumping him. After 30 minutes or so, the damn thing decided the bugs were enough and he began sprinting in the opposite direction. Not what I wanted to see, but just as caribou do, he completely changed course and began running right back to me. I had to move about 300 yards through some rocks and terrain to intercept him, but I did and he came by me at 15 yards and I made my shot. He was down in 30 yards. Aug (2) 2020.jpg

This is where the story takes a shit, for me anyhow. There were caribou everywhere, it was unreal. I am talking several thousand and we had tags left to burn so the excitement was high. We took off after a large group and after the stalk didn't work out we headed back. On my walk back, I heard "ting-ting" and looked down at my feet to see my sight housing had broken off and fallen. Yay.. Caribou all over, no way to shoot them. I was pretty disappointed.00small24704556.jpg

Later that day, I missed a real dandy at 25 yards bedded, tried just bare bowing it... arrow sailed 4 feet over his back and I decided to head home, buy a new sight and return soon.

Last edited:
OP
Nick Muche
With a new sight on the bow and a free weekend to hunt, I went out again to try my luck. This trip was mostly boring and the drive was terrible. I drove my 4Runner 850 miles round trip, with no shocks. They completely went out on me somewhere 30-40 miles from home and I decided to just take it easy and go anyhow.

I was able to find this bull bedded and snuck into 16 yards. I waited hours for him to stand up cause his body was completely covered by brush. When he did, I shot him. The bugs were horrendous, my truck was basically broken and I was solo. Not a bad weekend, but that drive home was horrible, what normally takes me about 6 hours, took well beyond 12. Bou3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Nick Muche
After doing silly stuff like sheep hunting for a few weeks with my friend where we were able to get him a fantastic 12 year old ram, it was time for Moose/caribou camp. This years camp had me very excited. I was bringing my wife, my uncle and my childhood hunting mentor along. All three of them were anxious to hunt moose and caribou remotely for some time and F&G allowed them to have both moose and caribou tags in their pockets.

When we arrived to camp, I could tell that there had been A Lot of caribou coming through prior to us getting there. I was hopeful it would continue, but that was not to be the case. However, we made good on what we did see.

The third day, a group of bulls came off the timbered ridge across from camp, and after a nice stalk with my uncle he was able to anchor a quality bull with a 100 yard shot. His first caribou, the smile on his face as we walked up to him was out of this world and it warmed my soul. To give back to him for all he's done for me was an awesome feeling. Caribou1.png

Later on in the week, while caribou sightings were slim we were able to get in front of three bulls about a mile from camp. It was a race to beat them to the X, but we did and with a little hard work my wife and mentor were able to both take nice bulls! The four of us packed them back to camp under the northern lights and our trip was a success! I killed a bull moose on this trip, but this is about caribou! Caribou2.png

caribou3.png

OP
Nick Muche
Shortly after returning, taking care of meat and sending my family back to Wisconsin, my friend and I decided to head out in search of some more caribou. The weather had turned and I figured we'd have some good action. We only had the weekend to hunt and after the better part of two days we hadn't seen much. On our way home, we got lucky and found two bulls all by their lonesome in a very bad spot...for them. We headed out on the stalk and I was able to watch my buddy arrow his first caribou! We were headed home heavy once again!
Jake Bou.jpg

OP
Nick Muche
The following weekend I headed out to hunt the Porcupine herd because I figured it would be about time they'd be within boot range of the road. This particular hunt was nothing short of incredible. The caribou were in the area thicker than anything I had seen up to this point and I was excited to find my way into the middle. I found that the majority of the bulls were up high in the snow, so I climbed to the top of the mountain and began ridge running caribou trails into the last area I saw them. After a few hours I popped up over a ridge to find 60 caribou rutting and chasing, the bulls so fixated on the cows that they were nearly oblivious to my presence. I ranged the closest bull, Ol Uno, and the reading came back at 43. There were some other really nice bulls in the group, but they weren't as close AND they didn't give me the slip the day prior like Ol Uno did (I stalked him the day prior but couldn't get a shot). After the shot, the herd exploded and I was able to track my bull a few hundred yards down the mountain where I had to shoot him again and put my hands on him. I worked harder for this one than all the other combined, and it sure was fun.

For anyone wondering... The meat on this bull was fantastic, absolutely zero smell to it and the back strap I cooked when I got home was amazing... Second week of October.
Bou4.jpg

Man Nick, you really got into some caribou this year. Nice effort! Those drives up the haul road are no joke so good on your for your persistence. I'm glad it paid off. I'm not sure I've heard of anyone doing that many separate trips for caribou before. I'm impressed!

OP
Nick Muche
Save the best for last I guess... The following weekend, I had nothing planned and staying at home was not an option. Off we went again to try and catch the same herd rutting and boy did we... There were over 5,000 caribou in a 3 square mile area and they were acting insane. Bulls all over, caribou fighting, chasing, etc. Complete rut. Now, I get excited over whitetails when they are rutting, imagine an animal with over 350" of horn running around rut crazy, with thousands of others nearby... (yeah, I get it, Elk do the same :) ) it was amazing.

My friend and I split up and after awhile of picking my way through the river bottom, I was able to slowly crawl from bush to bush and put myself in the middle of 150 or so caribou. While I sat there, I was watching a decent bull chase cows and chase off smaller bulls when off the side of the mountain across from us, a much bigger bull made his way into the frenzy. He came right down and walked right to the bull I was stalking. The smaller bull began pawing the ground like he was about to go up against the matador! A giant fight ensued and after it was all over, the smaller bull ran off and this bigger one took all of his cows. I was just huddled behind a 3 foot tall willow when he chased a cow in my direction offering me a close shot.

The meat on this caribou had a small hint of something not quite right. It was not horrible or anywhere near what I had been told or read in the past. I am fully aware that some bulls may smell horrible, and this one's hide certainly did, but the meat was just fine aside from the small hint of rut. That being said, once I butchered him, I decided that would be my last one of the year and not chance shooting one that is inedible.

I couldn't have been happier with how our caribou hunting went this past season. My freezer is absolutely full and I got a few racks as well. I personally didn't take a single day of vacation to hunt caribou, yet I had some hunts most would have to take a week off or more to accomplish. I certainly feel blessed.
Bou5..jpg

I hope that everyone gets to experience a caribou hunt someday, they are a fantastic introduction to hunting in Alaska. Best of luck!

OP
Nick Muche
Man Nick, you really got into some caribou this year. Nice effort! Those drives up the haul road are no joke so good on your for your persistence. I'm glad it paid off. I'm not sure I've heard of anyone doing that many separate trips for caribou before. I'm impressed!
Thanks for the compliment. If I told you how many trips I made up that road this year, you wouldn't believe me anyhow :) For me, it's paradise. Everyone is on the same playing field in that you must bowhunt and you can only use your boots. There is a learning curve I feel with caribou, and once you nail it down the process becomes much easier. I hope you had a good year!

Killing stuff like the effing plague! I need to stop making the excuses and just commit to the time and drive next year. This post helps my mindset to do so - thank you for it and congrats on a great season man!

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for sharing Nick. So cool to see you always after it taking advantage of all Alaska has to offer. Keep building those memories.