Caribou Success in Alaska

spedwards

FNG
The following weekend I headed out to hunt the Porcupine herd because I figured it would be about time they'd be within boot range of the road. This particular hunt was nothing short of incredible. The caribou were in the area thicker than anything I had seen up to this point and I was excited to find my way into the middle. I found that the majority of the bulls were up high in the snow, so I climbed to the top of the mountain and began ridge running caribou trails into the last area I saw them. After a few hours I popped up over a ridge to find 60 caribou rutting and chasing, the bulls so fixated on the cows that they were nearly oblivious to my presence. I ranged the closest bull, Ol Uno, and the reading came back at 43. There were some other really nice bulls in the group, but they weren't as close AND they didn't give me the slip the day prior like Ol Uno did (I stalked him the day prior but couldn't get a shot). After the shot, the herd exploded and I was able to track my bull a few hundred yards down the mountain where I had to shoot him again and put my hands on him. I worked harder for this one than all the other combined, and it sure was fun.

For anyone wondering... The meat on this bull was fantastic, absolutely zero smell to it and the back strap I cooked when I got home was amazing... Second week of October.
View attachment 226755
nice picture. I was planning on doing a Caribou hunt in the future I had looked into a haul road hunt. Put the hunt on hold but plan to pick up the research again soon.

Thats awesome, got my first Bull with a rifle. Want to try to get back out with a bow and give it another go. That is pretty awesome. Max range when I left for my sheep hunt is 70 and I have taken a few weeks off. need to start shooting again to keep up form and distance!
Also my range finder failed on me Saturday when I was out so need to figure that out as well!

Wapiti1

WKR
Great year. Thanks for putting it together for us to enjoy.

The haul road is on my list. That looks like a lot of fun.

Jeremy

The following weekend I headed out to hunt the Porcupine herd because I figured it would be about time they'd be within boot range of the road. This particular hunt was nothing short of incredible. The caribou were in the area thicker than anything I had seen up to this point and I was excited to find my way into the middle. I found that the majority of the bulls were up high in the snow, so I climbed to the top of the mountain and began ridge running caribou trails into the last area I saw them. After a few hours I popped up over a ridge to find 60 caribou rutting and chasing, the bulls so fixated on the cows that they were nearly oblivious to my presence. I ranged the closest bull, Ol Uno, and the reading came back at 43. There were some other really nice bulls in the group, but they weren't as close AND they didn't give me the slip the day prior like Ol Uno did (I stalked him the day prior but couldn't get a shot). After the shot, the herd exploded and I was able to track my bull a few hundred yards down the mountain where I had to shoot him again and put my hands on him. I worked harder for this one than all the other combined, and it sure was fun.

For anyone wondering... The meat on this bull was fantastic, absolutely zero smell to it and the back strap I cooked when I got home was amazing... Second week of October.
View attachment 226755
Caribou is the best meat ive ever had from all of the big game animal ive killed and my buddies.

Jboogg

FNG
Wow what an amazing year of caribou hunting. It truly goes to show that you get out what you put it. Thanks for sharing the stories and the pictures. Iā€™m hoping to do my first Caribou Hunt in 2022.

JColony

FNG
Thanks for sharing your amazing hunts!! Honestly, as much as anything, its nice to hear that it is possible to do without burning weeks of PT. Caribou is high on my list and the haul road bow hunt sure is appealing!