Caribou Total Cost- 2017-2018

Hi Folks!

Amazingly savvy crew here!

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2018 Hunt--some of our crew are a little more sensitive of extra costs so I wanted to make sure I have everything included when I present them the total costs of the trip.

Please let me know if I am missing any costs.

Commercial Flight- $500-$1200

Gear Shipping- $100

Car rental from Fairbanks-$500

Tags/licenses- ??$700ish??

Night before and after hunt in town of transporter- $50 per person per night

Bush flight $2500-$3500 (with meat flown out of bush)

Meat and Trophy transportation home- $200

Total roll-up-- ??Around $6K??

AKBorn

WKR
I don't know who you are flying out with or where in AK you are hunting, so I won't comment on those costs. I fly out of Tok with 1 hunt partner, and these are the ballpark costs that I tell them we might incur:

$200 Excess baggage charges (depending on # of checked bags)
$400 4 nights lodging (2 nights in Anchorage, 2 nights [split cost] in Tok)
$450 Half of the cost for renting a U-Haul van or truck (cheaper than rental car)
$200 Meals in Anchorage and Tok
$160 Non-resident hunting license
$650 Caribou tag
$150 Groceries/supplies in Anchorage
$75 Gas (325 mile drive from Anchorage to Tok)
$75 Half of Satellite Phone Rental cost + cost for minutes used
$250 Cash for incidentals, snacks, miscellaneous
$100 Pilot tips (optional)

FYI - it can be done a little cheaper than I do it, but these are typical costs that my hunt partner and I incur.

Good luck! Who are you flying out with, and when are you going in 2019?

ndbuck09

WKR
a crew of 3 of us flew out of Tok this year. These are the items I think you're a bit low on.

The rental truck was around $900 through enterprise (unlimited miles...with the uhaul i believe you pay for mileage so it was basically equal in the end for me and enterprise is at the airport for conveniance. I booked the truck in Feb/March before the august hunt so i got a good price)

You gear transport is probably going to be higher than $100, especially if you check everything at the airport. I paid $210 on the way there because I had a gun case w/rifle and handgun in, a bow case and my backpack. If you used alaska air cargo to ship your backpack up you'd only have $60 in fees eachway for your gun and bow. I personally don't trust people to ship my gun and bow via the air cargo route. I shipped my backpack on air cargo home alongside my meat so my gear transport came in at $270.

If you have velvet antlers and want them preserved, that is $250, then it was $180 for shipping to Boise

Meat shipping of 120# of meat and my backpack on alaska air cargo was $140

The hotels for us were $120 average a night for the trip. We stayed in a real barebones place in Tok the one night on the front end.

If you're shipping your meat unprocessed home, you have to figure out a freezer after your hunt. That'll cost you around $50 probably

If you want your bull mounted there's that cost then as well.

you have the gas, tips, groceries, incidentals, food when not in the bush, my brother locked the keys in the truck the morning we were flying out so that was $90 for 20 minutes of a locksmith's time in Tok, Sat phone, and you'll probably end up driving around fairbanks a fair amount on the back end getting antlers to the velvet guy, paperwork at the fish and game headquarters, lined boxes for your meat shipping, taking meat to the air cargo office, etc.

Bambistew

WKR
So grateful I can hunt caribou for the price of a couple tanks of gas...

One thing to consider to save on the front end... get a Alaska Airlines credit card. You get 30k miles and a $100 companion ticket with purchase of a full price fair. You could potentially fly up for free on miles, or you can split the cost of one ticket (plus $100) with your partner.

Check out Turo for car rentals, could be considerably cheaper, not sure I've only used it once in the L48. Got a sweet no frills 4x4 pickup with a topper for $60/day. Pickup rentals are near $100/day here.

I sleep in my pickup or tent vs a hotel room. You can save a lot by not getting hotel rooms. Its not that cold in hunting season. Also check cabin rentals through Air B&B

Logistics of handling meat is probably the hardest thing on a remote hunt. I travel to the L48 and used to hunt and bring meat back on planes a lot, not much different up here, maybe even easier. Alaska Air has freezers at the airport as do some of the hotels. Bone out the meat, put in in coolers (or insulated fish boxes, cheap coolers and boxes are about $20, flip a coin) and have them store it for you at the airport or hotel. I think many will store it for up to 24 hours for free? Hotels may charge for freezer space. line the cooler with a trash bag in case it thaws and leaks. Bring old garden hose, a couple rolls of packing tape wrap tips on antlers, tape them on and being your rack back as luggage. Talk to the airline and see what they accept. I would split a caribou rack and nest the antlers unless its a B&C bull or something. Easy to fix... talk to your taxidermist about what measurements he wants to put them back together. I wouldn't ship anything if you can get it on the plane with you. Shipping is $$$$$ expensive ($1.50lb or more) to/from here, plus the logistics of getting boxed up, finding a drop spot that's open etc while catching a flight. Airlines are about $1/lb.

Good luck on your hunt!

OP
Lv2hntnfsh
We ended up booking with Brooks Range Aviation--excited for the trip this August! As far as costs I think we are ball park, some of the unknowns scared off one of our guys but it is what it is. Life takes everyone different directions and it is tough to find a few buddies who can be comfortable committing to adventures like this.

Good luck to you guys, I’ll be watching to keep track of expenses. Planning to go up to see a buddy and do some salmon fishing this year. I’d love to go back next year and hunt.

I’m with you on people lvn2hnt. My main hunting partner is about to start a 5 year apprenticeship that I’m 11 months from finishing. The schedule only leaves 4 days between classes so looks like I’ll be doing more solo or staying local for the next couple years...

SpannerAK

Lil-Rokslider
Remember we have pay showers in some of our laundry mats, so if you want to save money by camping, its easy to take a shower to clean up after getting out of the field or before going in.

BillB

FNG
[QUOTE="Bambistew

One thing to consider to save on the front end... get a Alaska Airlines credit card. You get 30k miles and a $100 companion ticket with purchase of a full price fair. You could potentially fly up for free on miles, or you can split the cost of one ticket (plus $100) with your partner.

+1 on this advise

I got one about ten years ago and have saved a lot with it over the years. I recently booked this years trip and was able to get a round trip tix for my hunting partner and I for less than $600 each from the east coast all the way to Kotzebue
The one downside (small ) is that the companion fares are not available at any of the regional airports near where I live- I have to drive about 3.5 hrs
Also keep in mind that the companion coupons issue on the anniversary of your account opening, so you would need to get the card soon to take advantage of the coupon for a 2020 hunt

Good luck with your hunt

Last edited:

Labdad

FNG
I remember my first couple DIY bou hunts round trip CT to AK all in $2500/3500 door to door.....

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Folks!

Amazingly savvy crew here!

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2018 Hunt--some of our crew are a little more sensitive of extra costs so I wanted to make sure I have everything included when I present them the total costs of the trip.

Please let me know if I am missing any costs.

Commercial Flight- $500-$1200

Gear Shipping- $100

Car rental from Fairbanks-$500

Tags/licenses- ??$700ish??

Night before and after hunt in town of transporter- $50 per person per night

Bush flight $2500-$3500 (with meat flown out of bush)

Meat and Trophy transportation home- $200

Total roll-up-- ??Around $6K??

We ended up booking with Brooks Range Aviation--excited for the trip this August! As far as costs I think we are ball park, some of the unknowns scared off one of our guys but it is what it is. Life takes everyone different directions and it is tough to find a few buddies who can be comfortable committing to adventures like this.

We did this hunt last year, and flew out of Detroit. Here are ball park numbers for the exact trip

Tags- Caribou, Wolf, base license, 2 week fish: $960
Round Trip air( Delta)- $875
Wright Air to Bettles from Fairbanks- $310
Hotels in Fairbanks both ends- $300
Uber in fairbanks(we ran around a bit)- roughly $140...$20 per
BRA fee- $2750 per person
Food in Fairbanks and Bettles- $200 ( bar tab will depend on how thirsty, beer is $7 in Bettles)
We mailed alot of gear to Bettles- $200
Freight charge with WRight- $120
I had luggage fees on Delta on the way back with meat and antlers in the neighborhood of $350, way in it was normal luggage charges.

You will have a few unkowns and depending on how much you want to shop, or eat and drink, it will be higher. With price increases...I would be willing to bet you will be closer to $7000 this year after its all said and done.

bettles crew.jpg

OP
Lv2hntnfsh
We did this hunt last year, and flew out of Detroit. Here are ball park numbers for the exact trip

Tags- Caribou, Wolf, base license, 2 week fish: $960
Round Trip air( Delta)- $875
Wright Air to Bettles from Fairbanks- $310
Hotels in Fairbanks both ends- $300
Uber in fairbanks(we ran around a bit)- roughly $140...$20 per
BRA fee- $2750 per person
Food in Fairbanks and Bettles- $200 ( bar tab will depend on how thirsty, beer is $7 in Bettles)
We mailed alot of gear to Bettles- $200
Freight charge with WRight- $120
I had luggage fees on Delta on the way back with meat and antlers in the neighborhood of $350, way in it was normal luggage charges.

You will have a few unkowns and depending on how much you want to shop, or eat and drink, it will be higher. With price increases...I would be willing to bet you will be closer to $7000 this year after its all said and done.

View attachment 95849

Come on! We need some hero shots too! I appreciate the feedback, we are getting excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk