Carnivore Diet

I've done stints of carnivore and really enjoy it. My schedule would normally include fasting or eggs for breakfast, pound of ground beef for lunch, and another pound of beef (steak, ground, roast, or brisket for variety) for dinner with some kerrygold butter somewhere in there. After being strict for a few weeks I've allowed myself to eat a couple meals typically on the weekend that aren't strict. I wouldn't encourage anyone to do that unless they've reached their desired goals from the diet. My goal is to be as fat adapted as practical and follow a simple diet that I can keep with. I happen to be young and in good health but notice great improvement in avoiding grains and starches.

I had planned on being completely carnivore for this year's elk hunt, but I've settled on a keto/paleo approach instead. I tried being completely keto for last year and didn't really enjoy it that much. The thought of pemmican for the majority of my food this year just didn't appeal to me. So I've got Next Mile meals in for dinners, Keto Bricks for lunch, sausage sticks, some slimfast keto snacks, and of course some kerrygold butter for the majority of my calories

I lost 15 pounds in 30 days, felt pretty good and had more energy and saved some money on TP, only thing I can say negative is the arthritis in my hands seemed to be more irritated for the duration of it.
That's odd. What did you primarily eat? I think most people experience the opposite and its attributed from a better omega 6 to 3 balance.

If you went purely carnivore, be prepared to drink more water and supplement with electrolytes. My cocktail of choice was Propel with 2 packs of Gatorade Gatorlytes.
I really like LMNT recharge for electrolytes. I've noticed a big difference in recovery time when doing an intense training hike. They're a bit pricey, but they have the recipe to make the unflavored version yourself. 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/16 tsp of less salt, 1/4 tsp magnesium malate, and whatever flavoring packet you want

Venison, fish, squirrel, rabbit, and rib eyes. But it's hard to attribute the additional discomfort to the diet because it was cold weather and I'm an iron worker.
My dad works at a wire plant and has developed some arthritis in his hands as well. He doesn't do carnivore but I convinced him to take some beef liver capsules (since liver is so highly praised on the carnivore diet) and he says he can tell a difference.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
I've been thinking of gi
My dad works at a wire plant and has developed some arthritis in his hands as well. He doesn't do carnivore but I convinced him to take some beef liver capsules (since liver is so highly praised on the carnivore diet) and he says he can tell a difference.
I just eat the livers.

st59

FNG
I know a guy that did it a while back. He ended up losing almost 40 lbs while doing it. Looks like a fun way to eat haha

Keedman

FNG
I cycle on an off it.
First attempt poor planning for meals so broke quick.
2nd stint 3 months lost 45lbs had the most energy of my life.
Eggs and chorizo with cheese for breakfast. Skipped lunch and if I ever need a snack or something to munch some chicharons
Dinner usually a pound or pound and half of meat. Steak an eggs. Steak and bacon. Pork loins. Whole chicken.
Hardest part for me is I get tired of the same meals. So as long as I have options on stand by i was good.

Biggest mistake was telling myself I can add some carbs back. Lost control ballooned up. Getting ready to start again

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
98%-ish carnivore since Sep 2018.

Pros - pretty much everything
Cons - wife, and almost everyone else, thinks I'm crazy

More specifics:
Pros
I struggled with weight almost all my life. I used to have to work really really hard to try and get semi lean. Now (at 45), I"m way leaner than ever, and can't seem to get fat.
No worries about portion control, or ever being hungry.
Strength, and especially strength to weight is better than ever (30+ hanging pull ups, 2.5x bodyweight deadlifts, etc)

Food cravings are almost entirely gone. Chocolate still tastes good, but only a little bit will do, and I don't have to have it. Or have to have anything really. Red meat satisfies.

Very stable energy levels throughout the day.
I fall asleep quickly.
No more aches/pains. Seem to heal like a much much younger man.
Can go 24 hrs between meals. Most days do 14-16 hours fasted.
Skin is better than ever.
I rarely get sick anymore.
Digestion is almost perfect, also no gas or bloating...ever.
My teeth don't make plaque....brushing teeth is optional

Over time, eating becomes intuitive. Just fill up on fatty meat (to taste), salt to taste, and drink water to thirst. Almost like a wild animal in its natural environment.

Its a great tool to figure out how your body reacts to different foods (after giving a sufficient of being relatively strict)
You can gain great metabolic flexibility in the end, ability to burn whatever for fuel (including some carbs)
I don't bonk after hours and hours of exercise. May get tired eventually, but there's no more crash.

It's stupid simple to eat and shop. You don't need all that variety and 47 different items at the grocery store.

Cons
There is an adaptation period. Initially expect some fatigue until you get decently fat adapted. If you're already fat adapted (keto), it's not so bad
May take awhile to get salts/electrolites/water and fat/lean figured out. In the end, taste should be a good guide.
You're probably going to get the runs for awhile. Might get constipation too, but some of that may be just understanding that there won't be nearly as much waste to poop out....food gets absorbed and used.

It's socially awkward, at least if you're being strict.
You will likely find yourself especially sensitive to non-animal foods after being strict carnivore for a time. This isn't all bad though....some of it may be that you get used to feeling really good (finally!), then it's a shock when you eat something plant based. However, if you start reintroducing foods after some months, you may find you're less sensitive (like less digestive distress), almost like you've given your gut time to heal.

2 years into this, I still eat 98-100% carnivore most of the time. And if I need to eat some carbs (like that's what available on a hunting/camping trip or traveling), then no biggie. Once you get over the hump (like there's no more cravings), then life gets easy. I now eat just enough carbs, just often enough, to know that I still can. So I've got all the benefits of carnivore, but I'm also gained tremendous metabolic flexibility. I could eat 200 grams of carbs on a big exertion day and its not a big deal (and its kinda like rocket fuel). Or I could eat 0 carbs, and its like burning mostly diesel.

Zach Bitter and Shawn Baker on the human performance outliers podcast are great resources for this stuff. Zach is an ultramarathoner, and mostly carnivore, but he strategically uses a little bit of carbs....probably a smart way to go. Baker is more strength/high intensity and has been strict carnivore for like 4-5 years now.

Hope that helps

James

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
Other stuff:

Your need for salt will probably go up, at least initially if you aren't already fat adapted. Ditto water. It went away over time.

You may experience heart palpitations or higher blood pressure/racing heart beat for a while during the adaptation. I did a little bit, it went away. Seems to be an electrolyte and adaptation issue. You could always just ease into it with some carbs and then taper down if that concerns you.

May still do better with some carbs even after a long adaptation, or you may not have the patience for the adaptation. 2 years later and I'm still feeling improvements, becoming more fat adapted still

Women especially may have a more difficult time going strict into this. Hormones, electrolytes I guess. They typically react really well to getting more red meat into their diet, but seem to be more likely to have difficulty going strict long term. Something I'm hearing is that initial results are excellent (return of menstrual cycle, strength, energy, etc), then may some women may lose menstrual cycle. So maybe "meat based" diet is best, but not strict for them. Or maybe it just takes extra long to fully adapt, as there are some women out there (autoimmune cases) that have been been strict carnivore for over a decade.

To me, the reasons to go strict on this is to find out what's going to work, heal your gut, get over cravings, lose bodyfat quickly

The main reason to stay strict is if you have significant persistent autoimmune problems.

I've evolved to "heavily meat based" rather than strict carnivore. But the experience was invaluable.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
If I had complete control of my diet I would do it. Because I travel for a living and often the choices of meat are limited where I work I am unable to maintain it. I've gone for periods of close to a month carnivore and it was wonderful. I actually enjoy vegetables but I don't feel they are necessary at all and felt better without them. I was living mainly on beef.....steaks and short ribs mostly. Some pork and as much venison as I could get. Every aspect of my being improved from cognitive, energy to sleep. Otherwise I just try to stay in ketosis, eating as much meat as I can along with vegetables, lots of fish, and nuts. I could tell that about this time last year I had become fairly insulin resistant. After about half a year I did full blood work and lipid panel and all my numbers were very good and my blood pressure was never high, but it's been on the healthy side of low lately.

kyleds8

FNG
I know not real carnivore, but this spring I ate exclusively meat (no cheese or milk) and veggies (no potatoes), and one piece of fruit a day, and I dropped about 30lbs in 2-3 months. I went on the diet because of other existing health issues, but it massively helped my energy, clarity of thought, muscle fatigue, and mood. One important aspect of the diet was I completely cut out caffeine, from constantly tired coffee drinker to much improved energy throughout the day, and ability to get to sleep better at night. If you can do it, just unprocessed meat and veggies w/ salt, pepper, and herbs, and drinking only water and herbal tea. Did wonders for me just not rigorous enough to stick to it 100 percent long term. worst thing that happens you add stuff in after a few months and still have a better diet.

Block

WKR
I did Keto for about 8 months, but it leaned heavily towards full on carnivore. A lot of days it was strictly meat, or eggs, dairy and meat.

To answer the question about maintaining the diet in the backcountry, I stayed Keto throughout my 2 week hunt and it was fantastic. I packed 19oz of food per day, which was over 3,000 calories. I never got hungry, and never bonked; unlike my hunting partners who were always trying to cram food in to try to avoid running out of fuel. If you went purely carnivore, be prepared to drink more water and supplement with electrolytes. My cocktail of choice was Propel with 2 packs of Gatorade Gatorlytes.

^^ yes you have to watch out on big hikes (especially in heat) on the Carnivore diet,, your body will hold LESS water without carbs... I liked the diet (did 1 month) but Iv never felt more dehydrated and woopT on the mountain.. Athletes,, Bodybuilders,, and pretty much everyone can expect better PERFORMANCE with carbs in their diet...

renagde

WKR
^^ yes you have to watch out on big hikes (especially in heat) on the Carnivore diet,, your body will hold LESS water without carbs... I liked the diet (did 1 month) but Iv never felt more dehydrated and woopT on the mountain.. Athletes,, Bodybuilders,, and pretty much everyone can expect better PERFORMANCE with carbs in their diet...
I disagree that you can expect better performance. There's people doing ultra marathons and body builders that function just fine without carbs. In fact, I felt much better and felt like i could train harder while on the keto diet. I think everyones body is different and everyone responds differently to it.

*zap*

WKR
A lot depends on what carbs you are eating and your macro %'s. Everyone says how great they feel after starting some in fashion diet but they never say what they were eating before. If they went with the diet because they needed to loose 50# odds are they were not on a good normal carb/protein/fats nutrition plan with all those things being non processed foods in somewhat correct maco %'s. I am pretty sure that traditionally high performance athletes have and do depended on carb rich diets for performance but the human body is very adaptable. I know some pretty lean people who have great muscle mass and eat a traditional high carb diet. Then there is also the fact that not all weight loss is equal and someone may loose 40# but a lot of that may be muscle mass not body fat. To know what really works for you it may be necessary to track body fat%, muscle mass and performance while sticking to a set diet. Obviously your own goals play a big part in this since not everyone want good lean muscle mass/strength and a lower body fat %. Some folks just want to be thin.....and some folks just want to be strong and some want to sit on the couch and eat cheetos.

Anyway, it is an interesting thread.

Last edited:

Block

WKR
I disagree that you can expect better performance. There's people doing ultra marathons and body builders that function just fine without carbs. In fact, I felt much better and felt like i could train harder while on the keto diet. I think everyones body is different and everyone responds differently to it.

Yeah that’s fair to say everyone’s body is different.. but Carbs = better energy and performance for 90% of people

Block

WKR
A lot depends on what carbs you are eating and your macro %'s. Everyone says how great they feel after starting some in fashion diet but they never say what they were eating before. If they went with the diet because they needed to loose 50# odds are they were not on a good normal carb/protein/fats nutrition plan with all those things being non processed foods in somewhat correct maco %'s. I am pretty sure that traditionally high performance athletes have and do depended on carb rich diets for performance but the human body is very adaptable. I know some pretty lean people who have great muscle mass and eat a traditional high carb diet. Then there is also the fact that not all weight loss is equal and someone may loose 40# but a lot of that may be muscle mass not body fat. To know what really works for you it may be necessary to track body fat%, muscle mass and performance while sticking to a set diet. Obviously your own goals play a big part in this since not everyone want good lean muscle mass/strength and a lower body fat %. Some folks just want to be thin.....and some folks just want to be strong and some want to sit on the couch and eat cheetos.

Anyway, it is an interesting thread.

Agreed ^ People talking about losing 30-50+ lbs ,,, they were a SLOB and don’t know what performance is lol... ur diet was Dog$hit so ANY type of strict eating ur guna feel 10x better.. there are levels of performance and the TOP tier need carbs

FLAK

WKR
Cut carbs waaay back once, while lifting weights and jogging. Lost 23 lbs.
Felt like Total Sh&T!!, hurt all over, no energy.
Couldnt sustain it.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah that’s fair to say everyone’s body is different.. but Carbs = better energy and performance for 90% of people

There's a lot of truth to that, but a whole lot of nuance as well.

Yes, most people will have a higher peak performance with some carbs. BUT, only a tiny fraction of our population is remotely fat adapted, meaning that most people don't run well without carbs because they aren't used to it. Going 1 month keto or carnivore isn't nearly enough to reap the energy benefits. It takes time....the more the better. And there's a price to be paid by relying on "rocket fuel" (carbs).

Zach Bitter claimed it was like 6-9 months for him to feel like he was really well adapted to burning fat.
I just heard a podcast with him and Mike McKight on the Human Performance Outliers podcast.
McKight just ran 100 miles on zero CALORIES (not just zero carbs). He trains extensively with low and no carb diets, and has set records in 200 mile races. Without eating ANYTHING for 100 miles, he still ran a pretty fast time. Without eating for 100 miles, he felt he had less energy than when he eats (he walked the uphills), and that with some extra glycogen he could have gone faster.

The kicker was though...his recovery was really really fast, just minimal soreness, and was setting PRs again within 2 weeks of the run. So there's some trade offs there. Might not run as fast on day 1, but he's not hurting as much and can run day 2 and 3.

McKnight is currently training for some 500 mile event. Crazy.

The longer I go low to no carb, the better I get at it. At 2 years, I'm still improving at going without carbs, and going longer between meals.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
BTW this isn't meant to be a knock on anybody who experienced low energy after going low carb/zero carb. People do vary, and I don't doubt their experience.

It probably helped me that I slowly weaned myself off carbs over a long period of time...that may explain why there was never any big shock when I finally cut them totally out.