Carnivore Diet

fwafwow

WKR
You don't necessarily have to buy into the idea that eating plants is bad- but at least be open to the fact that they're not necessary, or beneficial. I'm saving so much time and money now that I'm not preparing a huge salad every day like I used to. Eating only meat is so much simpler, when it comes to both preparing meals, and shopping at the grocery store.

I don't have time to look up, and post studies here to prove my point. All I can suggest for those interested is to look up Dr. Ken Berry on Youtube and watch as many of his videos as you can. He's the reason I decided to switch from a keto diet to a carnivore diet a little over a year ago. He's also partly responsible for me originally starting the keto diet.
I hear you. I personally found carnivore to be much more expensive, especially following the Saladino arguments for grass fed and organ meats. Now I just eat more meat than normal people, take a supplement and eat vegetables and fruits when it’s easy (like the wife cooking or making them available).

bdan68

WKR
I don't buy grass fed beef, too expensive for me. I get the same benefit from eating wild game meat, at least three or four times a week. I buy eggs locally for $4/dozen from a lady who has chickens in her back yard. I eat canned fish- sardines, herring, mackerel, and salmon, regularly. It's very affordable. I do buy beef, just not grass fed, and I buy it whenever I can get steaks on sale for $5.99 per pound or less. Quite often we get it for $4.99 a pound. Pork and chicken can be extremely cheap, but we very rarely buy either one. I do feel fortunate to have a couple of freezers completely full of deer, elk, and antelope meat. My family of four could probably eat the meat only from our freezers for at least 6 months without having to buy any meat from the store. I don't take any vitamins/supplements at all.

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I skipped the arguing in the last few pages.

What is everyone using to season their meat? Just salt and pepper or what?

winnow

FNG
I skipped the arguing in the last few pages.

What is everyone using to season their meat? Just salt and pepper or what?

Salt, Pepper, and a raw egg yolk make great seasoning and sauce. In the passed I was eating a cut of cow almost everyday. Felt better than average. Help yourself to garlic and onion powders as the flavors are quite amazing.

I think a big part of what makes carnivore so appealing is the fact that the diet is so easy. So easy in fact that it beats out fast food on many convenience factors. And a little less fast food in life can make anyone feel better.

Supplementing sodium, potassium citrate and magnesium citrate in my water. Bought it in bulk to mix my own but I really like LMNT also. Sleeping very well. Down 11lbs. I like Greek freak and adobo seasoning. Meat, eggs and minor amounts of cheese. Feel great, getting lean.

River_Rat

FNG
Not trying to hijack the thread but I'm starting the carnivore diet today. It seems several of yall know a lot about this diet and I would love for yall to help me through this. I'm going to get blood work and test done this week and I want to keep up with those as I progress through this. I would love to log everything down and report back to here with all results good or bad. Tips and suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

I tried it for 6 weeks with a buddy of mine who was trying to get healthy and drop some weight. I am a pretty fit guy to begin with and I felt better on that diet than I can ever remember in my life. Wasn't a very hard diet to stick to and I rather enjoyed it. I have another friend who started it after he saw what it done for me and has lost 60 pounds in 3 months with zero adverse side effects.

Any blood level tests before and after being on the diet since it is so extreme from anything a doctor or nutritionist would recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoodie

WKR
Any blood level tests before and after being on the diet since it is so extreme from anything a doctor or nutritionist would recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most people who do carnivore don't seem to believe that LDL cholesterol is a causal factor for cardiovascular disease. The "experts" pushing the diet don't buy into the lipid hypothesis. So many probably don't get tested or don't care if their LDL goes up.

Saturated fat intake is the biggest predictor of LDL cholesterol. The only way I could see it not going up for someone doing carnivore is if it was already pretty shitty, or if they stuck to very lean meats.

Last edited:
Most people who do carnivore don't seem to believe that LDL cholesterol is a causal factor for cardiovascular disease. The "experts" pushing the diet don't buy into the lipid hypothesis. So many probably don't get tested or don't care if their LDL goes up.

Saturated fat intake is the biggest predictor of LDL cholesterol. The only way I could see it not going up for someone doing carnivore is if it was already pretty shitty, or if they stuck to very lean meats.
I had a widowmaker heart attack at 43 just 7 months after winning the over 40 division of the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Pan ams. I had a 100% blockage of the LAD artery and my cholesterol wasn't real high either at 214. The doctor who put the stent in me said I probably had at least a 95% blockage when I won the Pan Ams. Fortunately I was in such good shape I didn't damage my heart and when he gave me an echocardiogram a few weeks later for a check up he told me that "if I didn't know your recent history I would call your heart normal. There is one small irregularity from the heart attack but falls within normal parameters and I expect that to heal in a month or two."

I haven't had any issues since and was able to drive from NJ for an elk hunt with my son and hike with a 20+ pound pack 8 miles on average and one ridge was a 1000 ft vertical change in 1/3 a mile going down and up the otherside. That climb had my heart rate the highest since the heart attack at 196 bpm!

Unfortunately I have gained a lot of weight since with aggravated injuries from college football and I am finding it much harder to lose and keep off the weight at almost 56 than I did pre heart attack.

fwafwow

WKR

I did measure my blood tests before and after the carnivore diet. My cholesterol was high before (not horrible - I can check my spreadsheet if it matters) and while it was still elevated after carnivore, it decreased. I was eating highly saturated fats on the diet - but that drop in values may be coincidental.

Although I am no longer on carnivore, I still do not subscribe to the lipid hypothesis - and not because of the carnivore diet “experts”. I found the book below very interesting for an alternate hypothesis.

7AEAE3E3-CF35-4599-98B9-74DE89272576.jpeg

Hoodie

WKR
Losing bodyfat will lower LDL cholesterol too. But I know several people (myself included) who had LDL increase on a ketogenic diet even with weight loss.

Like anything, it's multifactorial.

bdan68

WKR
Just had my cholesterol tested Monday:

Total: 511
LDL: 410
Triglycerides: 76
HDL: 93

Prior to a ketogenic/carnivore diet:

Total: 226
LDL: 145
Triglycerides: 160
HDL: 49

bdan68

WKR
Also since switching to keto/carnivore:

Dropped weight from 215 to 155.
A1C from 5.8 to 5.3
Eliminated fatty liver
Liver enzymes went from elevated to normal

I'm 54 years old and never in my life have I tried to lose weight or gone on any kind of special diet in order to improve my health. Until now. Started in January 2021 and feel so much better. Doing weight lifting at home most days now too and I've got muscle again like I had 20 years ago. I'd recommend the carnivore diet to everyone who wants to improve their health.

Last edited:

Hoodie

WKR
I did measure my blood tests before and after the carnivore diet. My cholesterol was high before (not horrible - I can check my spreadsheet if it matters) and while it was still elevated after carnivore, it decreased. I was eating highly saturated fats on the diet - but that drop in values may be coincidental.

Although I am no longer on carnivore, I still do not subscribe to the lipid hypothesis - and not because of the carnivore diet “experts”. I found the book below very interesting for an alternate hypothesis.

View attachment 418000

It's definitely a complex thing. I personally think the evidence for LDL is very strong, but systemic inflammation, genetics, blood pressure, etc. all play a role for a sure.

Tough to tease out in one individual what the primary factor is. Certainly plenty of people with relatively normal LDL have heart attacks. Some people say that just means the recommended values are too high though.

Hoodie

WKR
Also since switching to keto/carnivore:

Dropped weight from 215 to 155.
A1C from 5.8 to 5.3
Eliminated fatty liver
Liver enzymes went from elevated to normal

I think this is pretty common (having many parameters improve with the exception of cholesterol). Question is what would have happened if you'd been equally disciplined diet-wise but ate leaner meats, more unsaturated fats, and got lots of fiber?

I would guess your A1C, weight, blood pressure, etc. would be similarly good, but cholesterol would've gone down. You never know though.

Either way that other stuff improving is good. Congrats on the weight loss.

bdan68

WKR
The experts I listen to say that cholesterol levels are completely irrelevant, other than the triglyceride to HDL ratio. Which mine has gone from 3.3 a couple years ago, to 0.8 currently. If you look at the Blood Code website it has the optimal range being 0.5 to 1.9. Anything over 3.0 indicates "significant insulin resistance and heart disease risk."