Carpal Tunnel or elbow joint pain from Archery?

Inquiring if others suffer pretty severe bicep/forearm tie in pain which may be similar to carpal tunnel? I've shot pretty heavy for the last 4-5 years. Never had an issue. But after purchasing a short brace height Elite Option 6 this spring....my elbows and forearms ACHE. I was shooting quite a bit. Then a month long unforeseen deployment put me on a lay off of sorts. Elbows and pain improved. I left the bow on the rack when I returned. Fore arm pain continued to improve. I shot a few arrows at the beginning of this month to prep for Late Archery. Shot maybe 25 a day, every other day. Can feel it creeping back.

I work out with free weights several times per week for the last 25+ years. Don't concentrate on forearms ever, but would have to think I am getting a fair amount of use from all the other work I have been doing.

This a common thing with high volume shooters? Attributed to a short brace height, high let off bow? All other Hoyt and Elite bows I've owned....never an issue until this Option 6 showed up.

Marble

WKR
Here's what has worked for me for joint pains in my forearm. You do it with aleve or ibuprofen. I would take prescription level amounts for around a month, in conjunction with some rest. The big push of reducing inflammation and rest has made it go away. If you have a good ortho in your area you should ask them.

I shoot the Defiant pro and CS 34. Neither give me forearm pain.

You may also consider getting a release with a wrist strap. Both of my tru ball hinges have the option. I use it when I hunt.

Gumbo

WKR
I feel your pain...well not exactly, but similar. I've got a ridiculous ache in my front shoulder right now that has me not shooting. It is freaking hard to not shoot, but I guess if there ever was a time of year to lay off it is now. Get well soon!!!

Gumbo

WKR
BTW, it sounds like it could be tennis elbow...I got a severe case ice fishing a few years ago. Fortunately it is relatively easy to work yourself out of. A little googling or a trip to a PT will get you fixed up in relative short order.

Terrapin

WKR
After thirty something years of shooting 10k plus arrows a year (including the bad old IBO days of high poundage, low brace height bows), every joint involved in drawing a bow is torn up.... to the point that I rarely shoot recreationally anymore.

Handheld releases put more strain on your elbow, hand and forearm.

Back tension releases cause forearm muscle pain (from the pre-loading of rotation, especially the Sweet Spot since it has a lot of travel). The can also cause back pain and
from activation and the surprise release (also gets the shoulders).

Low brace height bows and aggressive force draw curves can cause arm and shoulder issues because they force you to draw heavier poundage at a position where your muscles lack leverage.

Don’t even get me started on rotator cuff issues... those are career enders.

I would get a bow with a generous brace height, and a moderate force draw curve. I would also recommend the most modest draw weight you can get away with. Speed is great, but I think the drive for more speed can create injuries and bad habits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ice fishing? lol Drinking beer sitting in a hut can give you Tennis Elbow?

Go see a ortho. I think it is tennis elbow too. I get it in my left (brace) arm too. I do CrossFit and that seems to cause it but it hurts me on the practice range. Unfortunately they are going to tell you to give it rest. There are somethings you can do - antiinflamatories, ice, stretching and warm up - to help but not much until the offseason. Try warming up your elbows before shooting with some movement - circles a few push ups.

FWIW I didn’t notice it at all while hunting. I think the adrenaline just takes over at the moment of truth.

Working on changing your form would help with the bicep pain. I find that creeping in every once in a while shooting my handheld releases, and every time it does I'll use my Rip Shot for a day or two to retrain myself to get those muscles out of the process. I don't know how it would effect the elbow pain, but I can't help but think it'd help there as well.

Gumbo

WKR
Ice fishing? lol Drinking beer sitting in a hut can give you Tennis Elbow?
😂 Well, I don't drink much at all any more, if ever, especially ice fishing. And I don't use a hut if my kids aren't with me. And jigging for ling for hours is the absolute epitome of repetitive...

ro fish 1.jpg

Beendare

WKR
Elbow problems here...for many years.

i just had the Epicondrial release surgery a year ago after dealing with elbow pain for many years. A couple of things i learned;

Improper alignment can create problems

If you have pain in these joints; layoff and don't neglect it or keep shooting...once it gets chronic its much more difficult to recover from.

Ice and anti inflamatories are key to curing these pain issues on your own....you literally cannot ice it enough [off and on to decrease inflamation and increase circulation.

Talk to a good ortho guy...AND a Great PT...a great PT can do amazing things without surgery.

Elbows have very little circulation...so when they get sore...it takes a long time to recover.

I let my one elbow get really bad and had to have the surgery ....about a 4-6 month recovery

OP
J
A rare time...when I actually got quality information returned from a post.....many many thanks. At least I know I am not alone and it's most likely attributed to the bow.....not the bench. I'll skip indoor shooting this winter. And practice some of the above.

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
I started getting tendonitis in my bow arm elbow when I went from 60# to 70#'s. When I turned it back down to 68#, so that I could still use my current arrows, the pain went away I guess for me threshold is 68#'s. YMMV

Beendare

WKR
At least I know I am not alone and it's most likely attributed to the bow.....not the bench. ....

Hopefully I emphasized the part where a guy takes this pain seriously right away. I was thinking, "Its an elbow, no big deal...and it came back to bite me.

Maybe someone can learn from my screwup.

Take an active approach with the Ice, anti inflammatories and rest. If you get on it quick, you should be able to knock it back in 2-3 weeks. ...then start off slow. If its chronic....then you got problems.

There could be a flaw in the way you are holding your bow arm...putting tension on the elbow. Mine came from hours of shooting a stickbow on the heavy side that had a lot of hand shock...that radiated into my elbow [sold it!]...it was just too much.

Now my max is 52#...and now I do the rubber band stretches and warm up religiously. This helps your shoulders too.....that Rotator cuff can have the same issues.

There’s some really good exercises my PT guy gave me with bands, when I feel it creeping back I make a point to do them driving to and from work and before bed that with holding off shooting ice and Advil I bounce back fairly quick

Marble

WKR
I think there can be a lot said for having your DL set correctly and having your hand positioned properly.

The slightest twist in your hand twists your arm etc...

I noticed last night just holding the bow incorrectly sent a chain reaction of strain through my arm.

OP
J
Possible....I am the OP and NEVER had this type of issue. And I have shot much more in prior years than this past one. The only variable change is this Bow that I can see. And I know the DL is too long. Just dealt with it, as Elite is a module swap and the bow shop F'd me over on ordering it as the kid behind the counter still hasn't called me back since....June? lol

Marble

WKR
Possible....I am the OP and NEVER had this type of issue. And I have shot much more in prior years than this past one. The only variable change is this Bow that I can see. And I know the DL is too long. Just dealt with it, as Elite is a module swap and the bow shop F'd me over on ordering it as the kid behind the counter still hasn't called me back since....June? lol
Thst would stink. Im lucky. My spider isn't adjustable like my defiant, but after removing the grip, perfection. The defiant I can move back and forth with just an allen wrench. I feel like it's just a little too short. Im gonna either take the grip off or lengthen 1/2. See what happens.

Marble

WKR
Got my MRI report. As usual the place that did it screwed up the report. Left words out of the report so it doesn't make sense. Called the place and they say, have you doctor call us and ask to change it. Its simple grammar. They also said they sent the report. They never did.

I call my DR and he says he'll just look at the actual images and ignore the report. Then he'll just call me to discuss. Which is really nice since it's 2.5 hours away.

This is why when you need quality medical help for serious stuff, run the hell away from the small town hospital systems. Go to a learning university/ medical facility that attracts the best of the best.