Carry question (non hunting) UPDATED.

robtattoo

WKR
I figured I'd ask here, since my local forum is such a small target sample....
The great state of Tennessee has finally declared that I, as a non- permit holder, can go armed, as of July 1st this year & I'm excited to be able to exercise that right!
Now, i'll be honest: other than the mountains of wyoming & whilst digging pigs out of scrub, plus about 20 minutes in the forces, I've never carried a pistol.

I've narrowed my choices down to either a Glock 43x or a Sig P365. I've handled & shot both & i'm an even split. Literally whichever crops up first in my price range is getting bought.

My questions, as multitudinous as they are, basically fall into 2 groups: which pistol carries best, with the least printing for a....husky....guy? What's the best carry location? 4/5 o'clock IWB & appendix IWB both feel completely alien to me. I assume they'll be an adjustment, slash, getting used to it, period. Is a 3 o'clock carry feasible? This, to me, feels natural, but my experiments with my little AMT 380 tucked in my shorts make it seem like this a really bad 'printing' location (looking in a mirror. Cargo shorts or pants, untucked tee)

I guess i have a million questions that I don't know how to ask! My main question, I think, is that as a 46 year old, I've never actually been in a situation where having a sidearm felt or was, necessary (the few times i felt like I needed a gun, I had one & it was being heavily used! ) Should I even bother? I mean, I rarely, if ever, put myself in sketchy situations; I actively avoid conflict & I drive the least 'jackable' vehicle known to man. To look at me, i'm basically a fat homeless dude with nothing worth taking.

I've taken several basic to intermediate handgun courses, both theory & practical, plus the state mandated HCP class (total waste of $35) so i'm basically familiar with the laws, rules, safeties & I shoot the handguns I own pretty regularly (at least a couple hundred rounds a month) but nothing I own, really, is an ideal CC option (5" blackhawk .44, .38 RIA m200 & the AMT .380)

I know the are a lot of questions & non questions here. Sorry!

Last edited:

Vandy321

WKR
IMHO

Both great pistols...go with whatever you find first for a price that suits you. Don't count out the full sized G19...also a very easy pistol to carry and the full 15+1 is comforting.

For carry....you mention "husky"...if husky includes a belly at all, some of my buddies that fit that category find appendix carry uncomfortable. I don't qualify as husky, nor have a belly, but I prefer about about 4 o'clock position...comfortable seated and standing and it seems to print the least there, it's accessible to me and still an easy spot to guard.

Like backpacks, holster preference and carry positions will almost vary per person. Maybe buy a dedicated appendix holster and a separate "normal" holster with a bit of a forward cant for carry on the hip, see what feels best, return the lower.

I have found my 365 to be most comfortable as pocket carry. I have trouble with all the different iwb carry options. I just use a little pocket holster that makes it print like a wallet.

Honestly I'm not that worried about needing a fast draw, like a situation of being ambushed. That factors into it. You never know of course, but I'm never really in situations of being in a parking deck or an alley, more just something could unfold and I'd feel stupid not having access to something.

Hiking in bear country I open carry on my hip or use a chest holster. That's where I want now access.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Both solid choices for handguns. I own/carry both brands and am an armorer for each. No reservations about either.

I agree that a big belly would make appendix uncomfortable. If that is the case I would go with a 3-4 o’clock IWB holster.

Tmac

WKR
Both great choices. The 43X has some high quality extra capacity options. Two round mag extenders and a 15 round metal mag (they recommend a metal mag release I believe). So mag capacity is evened out to a degree. For me, if it’s concealed carry, I want a manual safety, open carry in the woods matters not to me. I have a Glock 43X & 19, S&W Bodyguard and Shield, so clearly I am confused.

FLAK

WKR
If i cant just pick it up and put it in my right front pocket it aint happening.
SW442(38spcl) or Ruger LCP(380acp).
I even got a couple 7 round mags for the LCP. 7+1 in a very comfortable carry gun.

Vandy321

WKR
Not to sound silly, but would a body-type photo help at all?
Give a quick YouTube maybe of concealed carry for "husky" guys, I'm sure there are a TON of videos out there that folks explain what works best for them. It's really all going to boil down to trying it all and deciding what felt best for you.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
If i cant just pick it up and put it in my right front pocket it aint happening.
SW442(38spcl) or Ruger LCP(380acp).
I even got a couple 7 round mags for the LCP. 7+1 in a very comfortable carry gun.

If you don't mind me asking, is that a comfort, concealment or convenience choice?

R2J

FNG
Both of those are fine choices and either would be great choices. I am a bit husky myself, and have found that a smaller handgun at the 4 o'clock IWB is the most comfortable way for me. I like a holster with a wider footprint (currently a crossbreed supertuck) over the smaller harder ones. I also lowered it to just have the grip exposed and carry this with pants, shorts, t-shirt, sweatshirt... whatever with minimal printing.

As for the question about not needing to carry and avoiding bad situations, I do it because I have no control of any other person in these crazy times and if that 1 in a million chance comes that I do need to protect myself and my family, I'll be ready.

FLAK

WKR
If you don't mind me asking, is that a comfort, concealment or convenience choice?
Actually all 3.
I just dont have time for the whole holster thing, plus its completely concealed
in my pocket. Very easy to take it out when I get back home, or chunk it in my pocket
when i leave.
Living in a mostly hot humid climate means I'm in cargo shorts A LOT.

FLAK

WKR
Oh, I forgot. The LCP comes with a "pocket holster" that does a good job of preventing imprinting and keeps the trigger from being contacted with fingers.

Im not husky at all so i probably cant help ya with the positioning issue much, i appendix carry. I really like my p365xl so far, its awesome. Shot the smaller 365 and several glocks and the 365xl was hands down my favorite. Seems to be gaining steam with the aftermarket stuff too if you're in to that. Ive done a few things to mine already. I have always been a 1911 guy and have not been a fan of the striker fire pistols typically, but its really nice having double the capacity for a very small weight and size penalty compared to my p938. the xl had a way better feeling trigger to me than my old xdm and all the glocks ive tried with their stock trigger. That said ive already replaced my trigger and some springs and my friends gucci glock is really sweet for fun. The glocks seem very bulky to me for their carrying capacity compared the the 365's. Cool thing about the sigs is the 2 sizes of slides and grips are interchangeable. I have an aftermarket 365 slide on the way and a threaded barrel awaiting its arrival with a compensator. Im keeping my xl slide pretty much stock with a holosun red dot for EDC and I'll be able to slap the race slide on for fun once its all put together.

As for if its necessary thats up to you i guess. I live in a city, I've been carrying pretty much 24/7 open or concealed since my car got stolen in front of my house years ago and felt so violated. Im totally used to it now, feel weird without it. Ive pulled it out on one robber that jumped into my yard after being chased out my neighbor's house and several deranged, armed homeless people and luckily have never had to shoot. Would much rather have it and not need it than vice versa and overkill is definitely underrated. Voilence can be very random and id like to have a fighting chance and be able to use anything to my advantage legally possible.

Good luck with your purchase sir, it might take you a while to get the background check approved without a concealed carry permit. Both my recent checks were approved instantly but a few weeks ago when i got the p365xl the wait for people without it was 2 weeks minimum

Rob5589

WKR
I have a gut and appendix carry a Kahr CW9 or Ruger LCR. (I have even appendix carried my Glock 20 but, you ain't sitting down with that beast lol) The LCR also has a pocket holster I use and like. The size of the gun and body type may dictate where you carry it. You'll find many ccw'ers go through a few holsters and positions before finding what works for them.

Wvroach

WKR
I'd suggest out of the 2 you mentioned going with the 365/365XL.

My normal edc is a czp-10c, I'm a bigger guy (6'1 230) and I IWB carry it with a backup lcp2.

The quality and the depth at which it sits will really dictate comfort level and printing, a longer frame/grip will be harder to cover than the slide/Barrel. When I carry in less friendly states I do roll with the lcp with lots of training but I'd never suggest it as a normal edc unless that's all you could get, as it is very difficult to handle.

You are blessed In your state having so many good instructors, if you haven't been yet I'd really suggest going to Valor Ridge. Reid is about as good as instructors get, tactical response is also great they are both 6-10 hours from me but I still enjoy going enough to make the drive.

You really should try to shoot the 365xl side by side with the 365 if possible, especially if you want to leave it stock. The xl has a better trigger, it comes with the cut out for a red dot, and the longer barrel/slide doesn't really make it imprint any more than the small one and is obviously a bit more accurate. Plus you can order a regular 365 grip module and have the smaller grip/dovetail for a reasonable price if you want. They are releasing a new 365 that already has the red dot cut out too tho so thats a good option if you wanna wait or can find one, i haven't seen any yet around here tho

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
I figured I'd ask here, since my local forum is such a small target sample....
The great state of Tennessee has finally declared that I, as a non- permit holder, can go armed, as of July 1st this year & I'm excited to be able to exercise that right!
Now, i'll be honest: other than the mountains of wyoming & whilst digging pigs out of scrub, plus about 20 minutes in the forces, I've never carried a pistol.

I've narrowed my choices down to either a Glock 43x or a Sig P365. I've handled & shot both & i'm an even split. Literally whichever crops up first in my price range is getting bought.

My questions, as multitudinous as they are, basically fall into 2 groups: which pistol carries best, with the least printing for a....husky....guy? What's the best carry location? 4/5 o'clock IWB & appendix IWB both feel completely alien to me. I assume they'll be an adjustment, slash, getting used to it, period. Is a 3 o'clock carry feasible? This, to me, feels natural, but my experiments with my little AMT 380 tucked in my shorts make it seem like this a really bad 'printing' location (looking in a mirror. Cargo shorts or pants, untucked tee)

I guess i have a million questions that I don't know how to ask! My main question, I think, is that as a 46 year old, I've never actually been in a situation where having a sidearm felt or was, necessary (the few times i felt like I needed a gun, I had one & it was being heavily used! ) Should I even bother? I mean, I rarely, if ever, put myself in sketchy situations; I actively avoid conflict & I drive the least 'jackable' vehicle known to man. To look at me, i'm basically a fat homeless dude with nothing worth taking.

I've taken several basic to intermediate handgun courses, both theory & practical, plus the state mandated HCP class (total waste of $35) so i'm basically familiar with the laws, rules, safeties & I shoot the handguns I own pretty regularly (at least a couple hundred rounds a month) but nothing I own, really, is an ideal CC option (5" blackhawk .44, .38 RIA m200 & the AMT .380)

I know the are a lot of questions & non questions here. Sorry!
I have the P365 and love it. It’s a remarkable design. I did have some reliability issues and had to send it back to the factory. They replaced some parts and it’s run well since. I put several hundred trouble free rounds through it before I made it my regular carry option. It’s also hard to go wrong with a Glock and while I don’t own the 43, my friends that do, love it. Since you are waiting to see one of these pop up in your price range, another pistol you might want to consider is the Sig P938. It’s a really nice pocket 9 and is smaller than either of the other two pistols. Similar price range and it’s just a little more refined than these other two, in my amateur opinion. I own one of these as well and keep it in my extra car as a concealed carry option. I am a husky guy with a belly and I find that pocket carrying is the way to go for any of these pistols . It’s comfortable and they all fit pretty well. Just buy a good pocket holster like the Desantis Nemesis.

hodgeman

WKR
Both of those are good choices. Don't limit yourself though.

After going through a bunch of carry guns, I've gravitated to the S&W 642. Dead easy to carry in a pants or jacket pocket- lightweight and no holster required. It'll probably print in tight jeans or speedos, but in typical business casual khakis or cargo shorts...easy to drop it in the deep pockets and roll on.

No hammer to snag, and I can shoot it right through the jacket pocket if need be.

I've just found that for people to really carry frequently, it's got to be comfortable and convenient. A 5 shot .38 in your pocket is far better than a 1911 in your glovebox or stuck in the nightstand at home.