Carry some first aid

OK_hunter

FNG
Yes in the calf, on the inside about 4 inches below the knee. Surprisingly there wasn't much pain, just lots of blood running out. It was/is a little tender to the touch, but I hardly noticed it after the first couple hundred yards on the hike out. I did stop every hundred yards or so to make sure the tape didn't come loose and start bleeding out again.

I have never been taped and glued. Why would you go with stitches next time over the glue?

OP
M
Yes in the calf, on the inside about 4 inches below the knee. Surprisingly there wasn't much pain, just lots of blood running out. It was/is a little tender to the touch, but I hardly noticed it after the first couple hundred yards on the hike out. I did stop every hundred yards or so to make sure the tape didn't come loose and start bleeding out again.

I have never been taped and glued. Why would you go with stitches next time over the glue?

That's funny, mine never hurt either. I didn't even think it was a bad cut until I looked at it. Told the doc that I have had paper cuts that caused more pain.

Stitches honestly seem to be less hassle. I would have cut them out and been on my way by now. At the moment, I still have about an 1/2 inch of tape/glue over the wound, the rest of the exposed wound is scabbed over but not completely shut. That, and once the strips start to peel up on the corners they catch on everything until you trim them back.

Mike7

WKR
You would have had a good repair with some appropriate cleansing and 1-2 "vertical mattress" sutures to pull the skin edges together better and keep the edges from inverting the way they did in your photo.

The rest of the laceration could then be easily approximated with steri-strips & benzoin/glue after placing a couple of appropriately spaced vertical mattress sutures which would offer improved pulling strength, remove tension from the wound edge, and evert the wound edges. My guess is that the medical people got going on the quick glue/steri-strip repair and then didn't change course because of time, even when it clearly was going to be a less than stellar job.

Suture stuff weighs more in your pack than a few steri-strips and some benzoin or glue. Why not have some suture and cleaning supplies back at your truck or at home for situations like this? Also, how were you going to suture yourself one handed. Even by learning and trying to use an "instrument tie" one-handed, you may have had difficulty getting the needle placed through the skin in the right orientation for a good repair. Gluing your own arm is no easy feat either for that matter, but at least you can give someone instructions to someone easier for helping you than you could with suturing.

mcseal2

WKR
I haven't been packing a tourniquet but have one in the truck. I do carry superglue, tape, gauze pads, antibiotic cream, and an Israeli bandage in my emergency kit.

*zap*

WKR
Superglue is good and it also tends to run before it sets. If you sprinkle some baking soda on the super glue if causes a reaction that makes it set immediately.

OP
M
You would have had a good repair with some appropriate cleansing and 1-2 "vertical mattress" sutures to pull the skin edges together better and keep the edges from inverting the way they did in your photo.

The rest of the laceration could then be easily approximated with steri-strips & benzoin/glue after placing a couple of appropriately spaced vertical mattress sutures which would offer improved pulling strength, remove tension from the wound edge, and evert the wound edges. My guess is that the medical people got going on the quick glue/steri-strip repair and then didn't change course because of time, even when it clearly was going to be a less than stellar job.

Suture stuff weighs more in your pack than a few steri-strips and some benzoin or glue. Why not have some suture and cleaning supplies back at your truck or at home for situations like this? Also, how were you going to suture yourself one handed. Even by learning and trying to use an "instrument tie" one-handed, you may have had difficulty getting the needle placed through the skin in the right orientation for a good repair. Gluing your own arm is no easy feat either for that matter, but at least you can give someone instructions to someone easier for helping you than you could with suturing.

I wouldn't have sutured myself at all. Sorry if I gave that impression.

Knowing what I know now, I would have requested them from the doctor though over the steri-strip/glue.

I have stayed at a holiday inn, but I'm not ready to stitch up my own flesh. Maybe one day, but I think I'll practice on someone else first.