Carry some first aid

Let’s get some back story started.. my wife and I had our first child this October. Hunting opportunities took a big hit, which was to be expected. Here in the south east we are lucky to have a very long deer season (September-January 1st). Now that things have settled around the house a little, I started to get back in the woods. Feeling the time crunch and the dooms of a bare freezer, any deer was game. Plus, I had a brand new exo pack that I was just itching to haul something in.

Set up this morning and got lucky to have this young buck come through.

434475d66df3c64736e4549507f99bd1.jpg

Angle of the shot put a solid shoulder hit through vitals and into the gut so I opted for my first attempt at the gutless method. First side went as well as could be expected. Feel like I could use a few more YouTube videos to really hone it in. Gathering up the last bit of useable burger cuts from the first side my knife slipped. Yep..

783269619726aa59146967ec7c74ff95.jpg

The cut wasn’t life threatening, obviously, but I realized I didn’t have a single bit of first aid in my bag. Didn’t even think to bring any on a local hunt with the truck a 1/4 mile away. I wrapped it up in a game bag and started my walk out. Had I had one simple piece of tape to keep it closed up I could have finished cleaning the deer and gotten it out. Instead, I had to call a family member to finish the job while I went to the hospital.

First time I ever got to be glued up. Usually I always end up with stitches.

8a3ba8ffacf79fd7652bf786a40a62f3.jpg

Lesson learned for me. Wife wasn’t impressed.

Carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
You will get less hair in the meat if you will cut with the grain rather than across it.:p

Glad it wasnt any worse than that. Not sure if this would have worked but if you had some cordage, a clove hitch over the bag might have help keep it closed and something you could prolly get in place one handed.

Ouch! I carry a few bandaids, Woundseal, and some kind of fancy first aid tape, but I'm not sure it would have helped that.

rayporter

WKR
I always have duct tape n baling wire - well duct tape anyhow. it has come in handy for both people and horses.

also I have vet wrap back in camp. almost never carry it in my pack but it would be a great light option to have.

*zap*

WKR
An Israeli bandage is probably the best thing for a wound like that if you do not need a tourniquet. Both are a must for an aid kit, imo.

An Israeli bandage is probably the best thing for a wound like that if you do not need a tourniquet. Both are a must for an aid kit, imo.

Yep, keep both in my pack at all times. Used to not even think about any first aid, especially on easy deer hunts with vehicle access readily available. Then, my buddy slipped while skinning a deer and knife sliced his radial artery. No first aid of any kind, no cell service and nearest hospital 25 min away. Make shift pressure bandage with a shirt and belt tourniquet is best I could do. He lost over a pint before we made it to hospital. I carry a nice kit now.

*zap*

WKR
Both an Israeli bandage and a 'cat' tourniquet can be applied with one hand if necessary. Just takes a bit of practice.

My first aid lives in my backpack. If we get an animal down, I get the kit out and set it close by in case that happens.

I keep a kit in just about everything. I carry, hunting pack, truck, competitive shooting pack..... that looks nasty!

bnoble318

FNG
You likely arent the first, nor will you be the last. I wish more youtube/TV hunters talked about bringing first aid, water, and a little food on each hunt. It seems to be overlooked by far too many of us. We walk out, anticipating on being in the woods for 4-5 hours. What could go wrong? The answer, of course, is everything.

NateO 77

Lil-Rokslider
I learned a few years back the importance of first aid kit even a small one when a hunting partner had a mistake with a Havalon. Now we both always have first aid kits in our packs. No matter how short the planned hunt is.

OK_hunter

FNG
Similar experience this past weekend for me. First real accident for me and it will certainly change what I keep in my pack for quick trips. I got a nice deer down on Saturday morning, and instead of dragging it to a good flat spot to work on it thought I would just do it right there on a steep slope. I just started skinning in an awkward positions, slipped with the havalon and it went right into my calf. Like you I was careless and left my kit at home. Luckily I had a few sheets of clean paper towels and some tape in my pack. It took a while to stop the bleeding and if I had hit an artery I don't know what I would have done. I put the first aid kit back in my pack when I got home. Sad thing is I cleaned out my pack to lighten it up the night before and actually thought about the first aid kit. Just decided I wouldn't need it, but I was wrong. I won't make that mistake again.

OP
M
Similar experience this past weekend for me. First real accident for me and it will certainly change what I keep in my pack for quick trips. I got a nice deer down on Saturday morning, and instead of dragging it to a good flat spot to work on it thought I would just do it right there on a steep slope. I just started skinning in an awkward positions, slipped with the havalon and it went right into my calf. Like you I was careless and left my kit at home. Luckily I had a few sheets of clean paper towels and some tape in my pack. It took a while to stop the bleeding and if I had hit an artery I don't know what I would have done. I put the first aid kit back in my pack when I got home. Sad thing is I cleaned out my pack to lighten it up the night before and actually thought about the first aid kit. Just decided I wouldn't need it, but I was wrong. I won't make that mistake again.

In the calf? Ouch, I bet that was tender on the walk out too. Glad you had some tape.

My surgical glue/steri-strip concoction is just about gone now. I've decided that stitches will be my preferred method from now on.