Carrying a pistol while scouting

gibby97

FNG
So I’m going to Colorado to do a little scouting before season. Wondering how many people actually pack a pistol when scouting/bowhunting just in case you run into a bears or lions? If so what is your preference on how to carry the pistol? I would think that the holster would get in the way of the backpack, etc.

much appreciated.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Ive been hunting and recreating in the Colorado mountains for 17 years now and I have never felt the need to carry a pistol for bear protection here. I do carry in the griz areas that I hunt in Montana, but I wouldn't worry about it in CO. If it makes you feel better, do you, but for me, the added weight just isn't a necessity here.

trekinit

FNG
In grizzly country, yes. In black bear country, no.
Easy to carry in a HPG kit bag and I can throw a couple snacks in also.

So I’m going to Colorado to do a little scouting before season. Wondering how many people actually pack a pistol when scouting/bowhunting just in case you run into a bears or lions? If so what is your preference on how to carry the pistol? I would think that the holster would get in the way of the backpack, etc.

much appreciated.

There's not a whole hell of a lot of Chicago gang-bangers or M13 cartel members in the backcountry. So who the hell needs to pack a pistol. Odd.

I carry daily and not for gangsters. I did happen upon a dude chasing a young girl through the woods and my pistol kept him there until the Sheriff arrived. But I carry simply to exercise 2A.

There are some great holsters that attach to packs. Pistol can be useless if it takes longer to access than whatever threat is presented.

I carry…always. Not out of fear or because something happened to me one time. But because it just may happen (I’ve seen it). Or it may be happening to someone else and you are there so could be of help. I equate carrying to wearing a seatbelt, life jackets on a boat, spare tire on a car, carrying an Inreach hunting and so on. Just a way to be prepared. Who cares if others carry or what they think? If you think it’s a good idea then do it. Chest rig, packs waist belt, drop thigh are all options.

Don't get me wrong, I have loaded pistols and revolvers and shotguns and rifles stashed everywhere in various towns I hang out at. But as far as in the backcountry, I either carry one of my rifles or nothing. I just don't see the practicality of carrying a glock or an AR-15 or a sawed off shotgun in the backcountry, as personal defense against other humans, or even wildlife, for that matter. Of course, everyone dreams of being the next Steven Seagal, Jason Bourne, or Chris Kyle (lol).

MattB

WKR
I don't carry in the backcountry where there are only black bear/mountain lions (esp not if carrying a bow - some people seem to forget those are in fact weapons), but might if there are browns/grizzlies or a parking lot close by.

def90

WKR

much appreciated.

I carry all the time while scouting/bowhunting. I’m not concerned at all about any of the four legged creatures in Colorado, I’ve seen plenty of them and have never had an issue. I’m more concerned about the two legged creatures. I’ve come across homeless encampments in the middle of nowhere along the Front Range that wake up your spidey senses as well as there have been a number of attacks on hikers over the last few years around here.