Carrying a sidearm while bowhunting?

Do you carry a sidearm while bowhunting?

• yes

Votes: 94 61.4%
  • no

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • depends

Votes: 37 24.2%

• Total voters

jmez

WKR
Not unless bowhunting in grizzly country. Then I usually leave it in the tent after the first couple of days.

Absolutely when I can, I think another good question is if you do where do you carry? i.e. chest, IWB, hip, or in your pack?

thrash907

FNG
Absolutely when I can, I think another good question is if you do where do you carry? i.e. chest, IWB, hip, or in your pack?

Thats good feedback... another question to ask yourself is how proficient you are with said firearm and how quickly can you get a shot or multiple shots off.

I chest carry a Glock 29 with Buffalo Bore 220gr hardcast because it's lighter than a 20 but has the ability to carry the same capacity.

Folks tend to argue that a .44 or larger round is needed for adequate black/brown bear protection, but I honestly think I couldn't get more than 1 GOOD shot off from a revolver before being overtaken by a charging bear. For years I've trained on the Glock platform and am comfortable with it, so that's what I carry.

Hoytaholic

Lil-Rokslider
My only question would be what is the issue? I look at it like this... what’s the worst thing that can happen if I do/do not carry one with me when I hike out to hunt..... that should answer any questions if you had any IMO

acesand8s

Lil-Rokslider
I carry every every time I bow hunt. My thoughts are that I want to make it home, no matter what I encounter in while hunting.

Trigger06

FNG
I hunt southern AZ. In addition to mountain lions, we have a great deal of illegal activity (drugs, human trafficking, etc). You can bet your backside that I'm armed with more than a bow when I'm out there.

Lots of states back east don’t permit carrying firearms of any kind while bow hunting. Granted, Big cats and big bears are less of an problem but I guess enough ass clowns shot stuff with their side arms and then tagged it with archery tags that it became an issue.

Just another reason the east sucks...

Mt Al

WKR
Glock 10mm in grizzly country in a holster on my pack's waist belt. Mostly for peace of mind as the chances of even seeing one is very low, but it's nice to have it just in case.

Raidertx

FNG
As long as it's legal to do so I, I have a side arm. Whether it's archery out West or during rifle in Texas. Never know what you'll run into out there. I've had four legged "friends" move in on a downed animal while I was field dressing it. It's just another option should I ever need it.

I didn't for years, but as life experience piles up with age, I have become a "why not?" person. there is really no reason.... it's not in the way, don't even notice it, so why not?

I carry a G20, but even a little sig p365 is better than nothing, and probably get you through most scenarios you may need a sidearm in.... even a big bear.... sure, some you may have to hit the CNS to stop, which a small cartridge may fail to do, but I think a couple 9mm rounds will change the attitude of most critters big and small.... don't need a S&W 500 to effectively protect yourself imo

Beendare

WKR
In your pack isn't going to do you much good.
Yeah, I think we've seen enough examples of that. Then there was the guide that had the Glock without one in the chamber and his dingbat client couldn't figure out how to rack the slide.

I practice from a belt holster so I carry on my belt as its most intuitive.

We can learn a lot from the many examples in the past; If you are going to carry it has to be ready...and you have to be fluid with it.

Numero uno with your self defense choice is practice with it [draw and shoot] numero dos...practice some more! No such thing as being too fast or too accurate.

______

Yes in grizz country. I was carrying a Ruger 44mag Super Redhawk Alaskan guide series w/ 2.5” barrel. It’s shoots great cuz its 56oz, its a pain to pack cuz 56oz. I changed this year to a S&W 44mag model 329PD. It has a 4.125” barrel, scandium frame, titanium cylinder, and weighs 25oz. The S&W is a great packer, and bit more accurate at distance for me b/c of barrel length, but oh boy does she buck!!!

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
Anytime I'm not in bear country I put my LCP 2 in a pocket holster in the rear compartment on my AGC Hybrid. That pocket will also fit a S&W Shield/G43 as well. One of the downsides to this is that the gun gets exposed to a lot of sweat this way. After nine days of mule deer hunting in August/September my gun had some surface rust that wiped off with oil. We did have one run in with our dog and badger this fall and I had no issue drawing the pistol out of the rear pocket. I carry the LCP 2 this way 80-90% of the time I hunt, I don't notice the extra weight. I will say I felt undergunned when I was solo and was finding what appeared to be lion tracks on the trail I was using to access my glassing point.

Once I get to grizz country I will carry a 10mm XDM on a paddle holster. When I'm hiking it will stay on the waist band of my pack and I can slide it off onto my belt if I need to drop my pack for a stalk.

I haven't picked a holster yet for the XDM yet as I want one that will fit with my light, but I have had success with this method previously with my Shield/Remora IWB holster and a full size M&P 9 with a paddle holster.

Attachments

• LCP 2.jpg
    LCP 2.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Badger.jpg
    Badger.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Tracks.jpg
    Tracks.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 45
Backcountry bowhunting I always carry my XDM 10 MM loaded with Underwood 200 grs. hardcast bullets. On a backpack hip belt weight is not an issue. Too many ornery moose (had a scary run in with one 2 years ago) and growing mountain lion population where I hunt. Always maintain situational awareness.

Last edited:

nphunter

WKR
Depends for me, if backpack hunting or just backpacking, I typically pack my 40 in my pack for camp at night. When carrying my bow I feel pretty safe, I’m much more accurate with my bow than a pistol, once I fill my tag and am calling for buddies I carry just Incase I call in an unwanted guest.

We have cats, bear and wolves, I’ve never had an issue with any of them, I do run into a pile of bears but up to this point they have all tucked tail and ran. If I were hunting in Grizzly country I would carry 100% of the time for sure.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I carry pretty much everywhere I go. Even to church! In the woods it's usually a 9mm unless I'm out west and then it's a G20. I'm carrying as much for protection from 2 legged critters as the 4 legged ones.

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
Carrying while archery hunting pretty much saved my life as well as my little brothers. Opening early elk season my little brother and I decided to hike in about 5 miles into a big bowl where I’ve called in bulls before. We started hiking in at 2:45am. About 3/4 of the way up we had a bend to go around still pitch black I hear claws climbing up tree and lots of huffing and teeth grinding. I knew it was a sow with cubs. Since the cubs climbed the trees the sow decided to stand her ground. I carry a g20 in a chest holster with a tac light. She stood just a mere 30 yards (ranged it on the way back home) from us as I really didn’t want to shoot unless she charged. Plus she has cubs which more than likely wouldn’t have survived. After a standoff which only lasted around 10-15 seconds but seemed that time stood still I was able to scare her off by yelling at her. One of her cubs climbed down and took off with her while another stayed in the tree. I knew she was going to try and circle back so I told my brother to take my bow and stand behind me. And I was right, I hustled to the next little draw over and could here her coming back up. I yelled and she eventually spooked down the draw. Crashing through the timber. I will never go Bowhunting without some form of protection. Take it from me if could save your life one day! It also brings you peace of mind knowing you can defend yourself!