Carrying both fixed and mechanical broadheads

rhinorv

WKR
Curious how many people carry both fixed and mechanical broadheads? Is there a reason? Windy days, longer shots, etc? Just curious...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravisIN

WKR
Curious how many people carry both fixed and mechanical broadheads? Is there a reason? Windy days, longer shots, etc? Just curious...

I have 3 different heads. 2 fixed and 1 mechanical. Mechanicals are for follow up shots. So this may sound bad, but on a follow up shot on an animal I know I’ve hit, my range is about 130 and I’m not looking for a perfect angle(trying to put it delicately). I’m just wanting to get a second arrow in it. I would like that 2nd shot to leave as much blood as possible too. So you put a potentially long shot and the idea of getting more blood on the ground and doing as much damage as I can together, and a mechanical makes sense to me.

big44a4

WKR
1+ for carrying both here. I’d like to think on a longer maybe more windy shot I’d shoot the mechanical (1.5”) but who knows. But if don’t feel I can make the shot I won’t take it. I carry both for every hunt doesn’t matter the game. Nice to have options.

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
I dont personally use mechanicals but i think most that do carry both use the mechanicals at longer distances for better accuracy. I know the fixed blades im using will do their job out to 60-70 yards and that is beyond my comfort distance anyway so ive never felt the need to carry both.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

For me it would be the opposite lol. At longer distances I would think the mechanicals are gonna penetrate less than fixed blade heads. Myself with a short draw length needs the penetration

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've always carried multiple different heads in my quiver, whether they were all fixed, all mechanical, or a mixture of both. I just filled my quiver last night, and it has one fixed blade and three different mechanicals. At 75lbs and 32 1/2" draw, penetration is not something I generally worry about........at any shooting distance.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
I carry both and I've written about this before but, will relate this again. Fixed blades are great, cut on contact and in general, are my go-to broadheads. However, if the wind or thermals are blowing enough and the range is 30+ yards, I will pull out an arrow with a mechanical head. Reason being is a fixed-blade head will plane with the wind. It just will. Wind can take a dead-on shot and push it into a questionable area even if you're dead-on perfect. There is just not a lot you can do about it. Except, switch to a mechanical head to limit the wind's impact on your shot. I suggest trying your practice shots on a windy day and see for yourself what happens with the broadheads you intend to hunt with. I've done this repeatedly and can tell you, it doesn't matter how perfect your bow is setup or your shooting is. All fixed heads I've tried are impacted by wind. Similar to 5MilesBack, penetration is really not an issue for me - DL is 31.5", 71lbs, 470+gr arrow.
Oh, and I also carry a small game broadhead for those tasty grouse. One arrow in my quiver is always rigged with one. Just a suggestion.

OP
rhinorv

rhinorv

WKR
Thanks for all the comments, I’ll be carrying both this year

BradNSW

FNG
Idaho is fixed only so that's all I carry for elk there. Imagine it would be tough to explain to a warden. In CA for deer, carry both.