Carrying heavy loads in my Kifaru and hip pain.

Scrappy

WKR
I have had this same issue with one hip or the other and sometimes both. From reading this thread I'm convinced I just need to play with the adjustment on my frame. Thanks for all the info guys.

*zap*

WKR
I am pretty sure that Snyder said he has the shoulder straps @ different lengths to get a frame to fit him the way he wants it. I know for a fact that on my x-curve I have them set @ different lengths to have the tops of the stays centered behind my head. Set the same the top is not aligned correctly, but I am 6' and have a short torso. I am still working on using my Kifaru frame enough to get it fit correctly so I have limited personal experience with that.

OP
Trevor73402
After getting home this morning and playing with the pack I’m almost positive that I have it adjusted to where the belt is riding too low on my hips. I believe this is the problem. I also noticed the lumbar pad should be up a bit higher as well. I’ll confirm this later when I go to the gym. I’m going to shorten the shoulder straps some.

Read1t48

WKR
All good advice to get the OP on track. The ruck video and related podcast episode is worth the watch/listen.

Sounds like you figured it out. I'm picturing the belt riding too low. You may not notice it as much on a flat trek. On an incline, when you are really contracting your hip flexors, to step up (as in inclined), you are getting resistance from the belt, which is pushing or digging into the anterior proximal hip muscles. Just my humble opinion.

Make sure the middle of the belt is snugged tight over iliac crest. Sometimes when I'm hiking uphill with a load, I will occasionally get the same discomfort, which serves as my reminder, to reposition and retighten the belt, over my iliac crest.

OP
Trevor73402
I appreciate all the help. I’ll report back later this evening with some pics and see if the problem has been fixed. I’ve adjusted the shoulder straps down some. I have the “long” straps and currently the bottom of the strap is sitting just below/inside the top edge of the lumbar pad. The bottom edge of the strap is centered up with the 5th/final tab loop on the frame. This seems too low to me, but I’ll see how it goes later today. I can tell that with my upper body being so big, I’d most likely benefit a lot from some aluminum stays so I could bend them to my back profile.

OP
Trevor73402
Just a quick update to this for those that wanted to know. I definitely had the hip belt too low. I spoke with Aaron over the phone today and sent a few pics and determined I needed to try one size smaller belt and different shoulder straps. The hip belt was putting pressure on a nerve and causing the burning/pain. I shortened the shoulder straps some and dropped the load lifters to the lowest setting per Aaron’s advice. Today in the gym I loaded it with 65 pounds and did 20 minutes of inclined treadmill and it was much better.

To all those that replied, I greatly appreciate it.

alrick18

Lil-Rokslider
I had pain in my hip with my Kifaru with heavy loads, I went to see my doctor who then sent me to see a physical therapist. The problem was arthritis and weak muscles, the therapist put me a training routine and the problem went away, so I am back to heavy loads with no pain at 63.

gldenhwk

FNG
Because its only on the one hip, and you've stated the belt if fitting and sitting properly, it may be related bone structure and/or hip joint movement. Try talking with a chiro and physio and see what they recommend. I know for me, I had a similar problem. Mine started from a tumble with a 60# pack where I jammed my leg up into the hip socket and the ligaments/tendants to tightened to much in compensating causing my right leg to be 1/2 shorter then my left .. saw my chiro and did some stretches .. one month later my leg was good as new after 2 years and no issues with the pack or weight. Might be worth the try.

Also, for what its worth, going to max each time may not be helping the problem. Try going to 80-90% of your max, back off, then approach 80-90% again. Going to failure can hinder strength growth and cause muscles and joints to fatigue to much each time resulting in lower gains. I changed to this training method after talking to quite a few ppl with masters and doctorate degrees and trained NHL hockey players. I may have read your original post wrong so if this doesn't apply then throw it out

OP
Trevor73402
I made a few more tweaks to the pack today. I still think the smaller belt will help. I was able to get 70 pounds of sand bags in it and do 20 minutes of incline cardio pretty much pain free. 70 pounds isn’t too bad at 900 feet asl, but I know it would be pretty rough at 10,000+. Now I know why a lot of y’all count ounces.

Last edited:
If you exhaust all adjustment options and no results see if you can borrow a pack of a different brand, adjust it to yourself and try it out...... if still no results see the Doc!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LMT66

FNG
When I had my old frame, I was sure bend the stays to my back profile first and after that I let out the lifter straps so they were not functional. Then I worked on the independently adjustable shoulder strap settings. Right shoulder higher than left by about an 1.75”. I’d shoot for a 80/20’ish setting between the belt and shoulder straps. (80% weight on belt, 20% on shoulders with a stuffed heavy pack. When everything felt right, engage the lifters and set the proper angle.
The most important part is wearing the right size belt in the right way.

Last edited: