carrying oil in backpack

LiquidGib

FNG
How do you guys carry oil in your pack? What type of containers are best? Also, what type of oils do you take? EVOO seems like a good choice..

Graindrain

Lil-Rokslider
Subway and Panera bread have free "ketchup style" oil packets. Just throw in your Ziploc bag of that day's food.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My backcountry cooking is boiling water. I save the oil and other cooking for base camp. I'm not taking oil in my pack. Although I did take some 1/2 and 1/2 containers one time and they exploded at 12k feet. Luckily they were inside a ziplock and it didn't leak.

Tod osier

WKR
I've carried oil in small Nalgenes, but I really prefer butter, especially if cooking fish. I seal a frozen stick of butter in a vacuum bag that I cut down so it just fits. Cut the corner off the bag and extrude the butter as needed. Maybe best for cooler weather, but works really well and I have not had any messes, just keep it in a ziplock folded over.

duchntr

WKR
I have good luck with the small Nalgene bottles from REI. They come in 2, 4, and I think 8 oz sizes. Get the real nalgene brand ones... dont want a spill. I usually put oil in one, camp soap in another. https://www.rei.com/product/402056/nalgene-polyethylene-bottle-2-fl-oz

This, exactly. I usually just take some olive oil. Never know when you'll come across some camp meat, nothing better then frying up a ptarmigan or grouse after day 5 of mountain house meals.

jwatts

WKR
I use a very small glass jar. I have a few from one of those gift baskets with the sample size mustards, jellies, and cheeses with summer sausage and crackers. I have also use a similar, slightly larger plastic jar that came with horseradish in it. I am not carrying oil, but bacon grease. You haven't lived til you cook a boned and cubed rabbit in a cook pot of bacon grease at 12k ft after a long days hunt.

Edit: Here's a picture of the glass jar next to a Keurig cup for size reference

20160426_095455_zpslz49rdy2.jpg

Last edited:
I don't necessarily cook with evoo but spike my dinner for extra calories. usually 4 oz in the screw top nalgene bottles works fine.

Poser

WKR
I take a stick of butter, cut it in half, put both halves in 2 ziplock bags and store it in my coffee cup. It has melted some during the day but the wrapping keeps it the shape well formed. I bring the butter primary to add generously to my coffee and tea. The extra fat goes a long, long ways. I can devotedly tell a difference when consuming it before bed.

Ray

WKR
Artisana makes three types of coconut oils in small packets. I get them from Amazon or locally in the health food store. The cacao butter in coffee can be alright at times. kind of bitter too early in the morning.

I also use EVOO in small packs bought in bulk off Amazon.

I use to use small bottles but they all eventually leaked in hot weather.

I bring a small REI Nalgene bottle of peanut oil when I am camping during morel season. The rest of the time I pack ghee in an REI squeeze tube for cooking oil. It doesn't need to be refrigerated and is much less likely to leak all over everything inside my pack.

topher89

WKR
Small Nalgene brand container for olive oil for fish or grouse. I usually put it inside a ziplock bag and put that inside another ziplock bag. Probably overkill but it keeps things safe.

Bughalli

WKR
Subway packets, as others mentioned....or the white fatty part of cooked bacon in a ziplock. Tastes better too!

Dameon

WKR
Cook bacon, save grease, jar grease, add bacon grease as needed. Everything tastes better with bacon. And the grease stores as a solid at room temp so it is not quite as messy and it tastes better in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrnorton4

FNG
I use a very small glass jar. I have a few from one of those gift baskets with the sample size mustards, jellies, and cheeses with summer sausage and crackers. I have also use a similar, slightly larger plastic jar that came with horseradish in it. I am not carrying oil, but bacon grease. You haven't lived til you cook a boned and cubed rabbit in a cook pot of bacon grease at 12k ft after a long days hunt.

Edit: Here's a picture of the glass jar next to a Keurig cup for size reference

20160426_095455_zpslz49rdy2.jpg

I love that little jar, it has made for some fine rabbit and grouse tortillas.

pwsINC

WKR
Packets, or vials. Like science supply type.

73aeceb4901f728ca58c0173ab2efa13.jpg

76016ad3bc08d45e72eb01d7a777f953.jpg

d4e130e942f9434fbea0fb24a5940527.jpg

082136f759a48fa0eb2d2634834494b8.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk