carrying oil in backpack

Buy a 5 hour energy and use the bottle. Perfect size and hasn't leaked yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get those little sample size 50 ML plastic whiskey bottles and they have the added benefit of needing emptied.

Packets, or vials. Like science supply type.

73aeceb4901f728ca58c0173ab2efa13.jpg

76016ad3bc08d45e72eb01d7a777f953.jpg

d4e130e942f9434fbea0fb24a5940527.jpg

082136f759a48fa0eb2d2634834494b8.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Haha! You know, those are actually Soda bottle blanks! That is what a soda/plastic bottle looks like before they are inflated/molded. Pretty good idea!

I also really like Rockhammer's idea about ghee in a squeeze tube. Really convenient!

pwsINC

WKR
I look at them now and totally see that! Though never in a million years would have guessed that.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I make my own small packets with a vacuum sealer. I usually run coconut oil in them because it stays solid most of the time making it even harder to leak.

Baby Huey

FNG
I use straws. The larger diameter straws for the Asian slushy/milk tea drinks are the best. Take a needle nose pliers, crimp one end with say 1/16" excess, and then melt that end with a lighter. Then fill with oil leaving a little bit of room, crimp the top and then melt that end. Now it is filled with oil and water tight. You can do this with seasonings and other liquids. Photo below is with Montreal Steak Seasoning on some deer tenderloins after I added olive oil from another straw.

pwsINC

WKR
Man that's a great suggestion. I love rokslide so much sometimes.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Haha! You know, those are actually Soda bottle blanks! That is what a soda/plastic bottle looks like before they are inflated/molded. Pretty good idea!

Correct. FYI, white labs packages their yeast in those as well. Thus if you know anyone that brews you might ask around if they use white labs and have any of those (if you wanted some).

I make my own small packets with a vacuum sealer. I usually run coconut oil in them because it stays solid most of the time making it even harder to leak.

I do the same thing. I tried the straws before and they came open.

I actually wrote a buyer's guide about picking out a vacuum sealer. I'll post it :)

I bake my own sourdough and other breads, so next time I am on the lookout to buy yeast again I will check out white labs!

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whipped butter travels well. Subway packets are not 100% olive oil if that matters to you. I just intended on bringing one of the small bertolli bottles (250ml?) And my hunting partner and I would both use it liberally and every meal to bump calories.

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
for low-med temp cooking, use olive oil (but be aware that the mafia has infiltrated Italian oils, and you may get adulterated oil-I use Greek oil). higher temps use something like peanut oil. It helps if you're going to altitude if you squeeze all the air out of your flex-bottle, then bag it in two ziplocks. Bacon grease really can't be beat, especially for that breakfast trout!

Tsnider

WKR
another vote for the Nalgene products. i use them to take Wilderness Athlete H&R and E&F.

the soda bottle blanks are really cool. looks like you can get 30 on amazon for 23 bucks.

Muttley

FNG
I use the MiO water flavoring squeeze bottles. They are small, light and pretty tough. I think they hold just under 2oz., a quick squeeze and your good to go. Also, as much as I love EVOO, if I'm only bringing 1 oil, I like peanut- I've made pancakes (just add water) camping, and the EVOO gives them a strange (not bad) taste. Plus, the high smoke point of Peanut oil puts a great sear on meat if U use the pan.

Gr8bawana

WKR
I have good luck with the small Nalgene bottles from REI. They come in 2, 4, and I think 8 oz sizes. Get the real nalgene brand ones... dont want a spill. I usually put oil in one, camp soap in another. Access Denied

I hope you never get them mixed up in the dark.:rolleyes:

16Bore

WKR
You fellas need to try coconut oil. Higher smoke point comes in handy with tough to manage camp stoves. Mucho non stick.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord