Carrying Pistol in Backcountry

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I'm in the odd group out, but I've usually got something on my hip. I usually carry my Sig 365 IWB when I'm not hunting, but for trail carry w/o a long gun, I've usually got my Judge with 2 .410 6s and 3 45LCs. When I do have a long gun, I like a .22 revolver on my hip for snakes and small game for the pot. If I've got a long gun, I don't have much need for a "big bore" pistol

i count eye guards

Lil-Rokslider
.45acp with a light and night sights

Always on me at camp, gets buried in the pack when I'm hunting. I've had a few incidents over the years, one in particular I only survived because I got the drop on them.

Jbake108

FNG
It is totally a creature comfort in my eyes. I’m rather uncomfortable without it so I always try to take mine. Forgotten it in the truck more than once and I think about it when I don’t have it so easier to just bring it.

rbljack

WKR
Weight adds up quickly, especially if you need to carry 4 or more liters of water when water sources are scarce. For rifle hunt, Id leave the handgun at the truck. I had my glock 29 with me for my rifle hunts, but it stayed at the truck to keep pack weight down. If I tagged out (which I didn't unfortunately), on my first trip back to the truck I would switch my rifle for my glock and carry it the rest of the trip. With that said...I did carry my glock during my wifes hunt. She had the rifle, and I had the handgun. Additionally, I did carry my glock when I turkey hunted the mtns last year. There are bear and cougar up there, so when Im sounding like a cougars meal, I think having the handgun is a plus. If I get back into archery, Id have it with me also, but I haven't crossed that bridge ….YET. Contemplating getting back into bowhunting after being away from it for many years. Final comment....all of the info above is referring to areas that don't have grizzly bears. I think I would probably carry the extra weight of the glock (even during a rifle hunt) if I ever hunted an area with them.

I primarily carry my backcountry pistol in a chest rig, specifically Hill People kit bag. I grew up in grizzly country and used to carry a ruger 44 mag or glock 10mm, now I worry some about blackbear, mountain lions but mostly poor quality people. I usually have a glock 21 .45acp, glock 17 9mm, Smith and wesson shield 9mm. Still in the chest rig in the backcountry, on my body concealed around town

AKDoc

WKR
I have never backcountry hunted before. I intend to get my feet wet by going for antelope in Fall 2020 and planning on starting to build elk and mule deer points in CO, WY, and possibly MT for future years. (Based on drive time from eastern US, I feel I can now and likely for several more years drive those in 2 days myself, even better if I had a partner, whereas farther west I would probably fly to save a lot of hunting time).

A lot, or even most, folks truck hunt for antelope but I like what Steven Rinella said on his pronghorn episode, "I like to park the truck and leave it there for my entire hunt. I sleep better and feel better and hunt better when I walk." I like Randy Newberg but his style of drive-and-glass hunting is just not what I envision wanting to do out there. My plan in fact is to leave entire days reserved just for glassing from high knobs and another day for glassing and practicing stalking, rather than tagging out in 30 minutes. It would be fun to stalk several antelope and good practice as someone who's only hunted from tree stands, and never spent more than 2 minutes behind a set of binos on a hunt.

With all that in mind, I know pronghorn in the units I am looking at are not grizzly country. I currently have a Glock 19 and would likely plan to bring that. I have been looking at the Safariland ALS and would try to find a holster that could clip onto my Metcalf Mystery Ranch pack webbing on the waist belt but also be able to go on my pants belt when I am on a stalk if I dropped my pack. Again, a lot of this is for practice of all future hunts, not because I think a grizzly is going to jump me while I am antelope hunting. Same reason I will be bringing water filtration and refueling at streams or other water sources and not just have a bunch of water in the truck (though I will for backup!)

What is the upside of having a pistol rather than just counting on my rifle, a 7mm-08 Tikka T3? Including 4 days worth of food to camp, and a SeekOutside tent and 4L of water for my initial 4-5 mile pack around private lands to a camping location near water and glassing opportunities on BLM land, my initial pack in weight is 56.7 lbs (includes clothes down to 15F in pack, does not include clothes and boots that are physically worn). My daily hunting weight is 35.6 lbs again carrying 1.5 lbs of food and 4L water.

(This 35.6 lbs includes 7.2 lbs rifle, 6.2 lbs water, 6.1 lbs Metcalf pack, 4 lbs clothes in pack including puffy/hoodie/raingear, 2.7 lbs G19/Holster, 2 lbs Maven C1 + Harness, 1.5 lbs food, 0.5 lbs rangefinder, and the remainder 5.5 lbs is stuff like flashlight/leatherman/kill kit/first aid)

I could drop approximately 2.7 lbs off both of these weights by losing the Glock 19 and holster. I guess the upside is semi-auto, 15+1, vs a bolt action 3+1. What do you choose for sidearm options when it comes to being in the backcountry (where presumably 4 and 2 legged predators are possible)

I think it is great that you are wanting to get into backcountry camping and hunting! From the content of your post it sounds like you're brand new at it and really looking forward to getting out and practicing....excellent!

I live in a different part of the world, and I have always camped and hunted in extremely remote areas for a week to several weeks at a time. I always have a pistol with me...for many years a RSRH 454 Casull and more recently a 10mm Glock-20.

I have absolutely zero experience in a setting that you describe, so I sure can't say if you need a pistol for your proposed hunt. That said, if you are using this hunt as a practice for future backcountry hunts that may put you into predator country, then I suggest that you take your pistol as part of your practice on this hunt. If you take it, then be sure to practice having it with you wisely. For example, in the setting you describe, I'd always have it with me...always and for reasons other than self-defense in that setting. For example, I wouldn't want to be sitting on a high point a mile or two from my tent with my rifle with me practicing my glassing and my pistol left behind in my tent. In my settings I might do exactly that, but I suspect that in the setting that you describe, it wouldn't be smart at all to do that...might find it missing when you get back to camp.

Take your pistol with you for practice...but keep learning from others about what does it mean to have it with you wisely in your settings. If you were coming to Alaska, I could help with that, but....

Good luck on your backcountry quests!

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
What is the upside of having a pistol rather than just counting on my rifle, a 7mm-08 Tikka T3?

none^

My Take;
Backountry hunting is about utilizing gear that is light, economical and multi purpose- so you can hunt more efficiently. So duplicate items...like an additional set of clothes is just over doing it. As you will see, refining your system down to 'what you really need' is a science in itself- grin.

The less you carry, the more efficient/ enjoyable the hunt- in my experience anyway.

Thus duplicate firearms is a waste. You want to trim as much duplicated items as possible and refine your stuff down to necessities.

Part of the elegance of backpacking and backcountry hunting for me is that refinement to only necessities....doing more with less. Yeah, you sometimes have to put on a damp pair of pants, etc...but the right pant/clothing makes it not so big of an issue.

My BIL's BIL did his first backpack rifle hunt in Co this year....and lets just say he disregarded good advice- grin. They were at 65# and 62#.....and lasted all of 2 days- totally wiped out by the high elevation.

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
I primarily carry my backcountry pistol in a chest rig, specifically Hill People kit bag. I grew up in grizzly country and used to carry a ruger 44 mag or glock 10mm, now I worry some about blackbear, mountain lions but mostly poor quality people. I usually have a glock 21 .45acp, glock 17 9mm, Smith and wesson shield 9mm. Still in the chest rig in the backcountry, on my body concealed around town
[/QUOTE

Poor quality people, honestly I think the threat from them is greater than any bear.

Like others have said, bringing a handgun along on a rifle antelope hunt is completely redundant and unnecessary weight. That being said, bring it with you. If I understand correctly a large portion of this hunt is just getting your feet wet and figuring out what works for you. That is awesome. Bringing things with you on a backpack hunt that you have never tested or used before can be a recipe for disaster. There's been more than a few people who opened their first aid kit only when it was needed and had no idea where anything was located or what exactly was in it. I think this hunt sounds like a perfect opportunity for you to test things out and figure out what works, what doesn't, what is necessary and what isn't. If you plan on bringing a handgun on future hunts then bring one with you this time. Like others on here I am constantly refining my techniques and gear. I'm definitely looking for ways to cut weight but also refining how I load my pack, what items I need and don't need on certain hunts/scouting trips and the like. It sounds to me like you are starting in a great direction and from here just keep refining your system until you find what works for you. Listening to bunch of people online will provide you with good advice, and maybe some not so good advice, but there is no substitute for experience. Treating this like a true backcountry hunt sounds like a great idea to me and I say go for it. After you get a couple trips down you will feel much more confident and have an idea what works for you and what doesn't. And as far as packing a pistol or not on a hunt, I am always hunting in bear country (mainly black bears but some grizzlies too) and one thing that I will always have with me is bear spray. I generally pack my Glock 21 during summer and archery, but tend to leave it behind for rifle hunts. That is just what I have found works for me and by no means does that mean you should or shouldn't. It's your call, just get some practice in and you will figure out the best system for yourself. Also, you don't have to be on a hunt to do this kind of stuff. Find somewhere close to home that you can hike to and camp for a night or two and keep dialing things in.

Marble

WKR
What I've said to a few of my friends
none^

My Take;
Backountry hunting is about utilizing gear that is light, economical and multi purpose- so you can hunt more efficiently. So duplicate items...like an additional set of clothes is just over doing it. As you will see, refining your system down to 'what you really need' is a science in itself- grin.

The less you carry, the more efficient/ enjoyable the hunt- in my experience anyway.

Thus duplicate firearms is a waste. You want to trim as much duplicated items as possible and refine your stuff down to necessities.

Part of the elegance of backpacking and backcountry hunting for me is that refinement to only necessities....doing more with less. Yeah, you sometimes have to put on a damp pair of pants, etc...but the right pant/clothing makes it not so big of an issue.

My BIL's BIL did his first backpack rifle hunt in Co this year....and lets just say he disregarded good advice- grin. They were at 65# and 62#.....and lasted all of 2 days- totally wiped out by the high elevation.

none^

My Take;

When I describe what to bring on back country hunts with my buddies that do not backpack hunt, I describe it as, "Do not pack your fears."

It's hard for them to understand that, even though you want to be comfortable (warm, dry and well fed) you do not pack things that are not necessary for making it through your trip.

There might be things you want, but I dont bring them.

TTurboEE

FNG
I always have a pistol on me anytime I step into the outdoors, depends on where I'm hunting, what I'm hunting, the terrain and so forth but most of the time I'll atleast have my 22 mag revolver on me if not that then my glock 23

Kentucky

WKR
I’m also trying to half ass plan a speed goat trip. I have spent serval 7-10 separate trips/ weeks in backcountry, only one was on a hunt. The others were biking packing and hiking trips. Been to NM once but everything else has been in KY and TN. I’ve seen bears in the later, but I always pack a handgun (glock 43) for poor quality people. I hunt with a recurve.

Along with bow always pack a .357 during gun season.

I would leave handgun if I had rifle. But I always have a bow, so I always have a hand gun.

My backcountry kit will come in around 45# not counting bow or what’s on my person. So weight is worth it to me.

Wdh76

FNG
I always carry a handgun when archery hunting, if I rifle hunted I probably would not . But it’s all about having a great trip, if carrying the handgun makes you more comfortable then I would take it.

Pabsy512

FNG
A Glock 43 attached to the bottom of my bino harness. I always have my Marsupial bino harness on. The harness distributes the weight well.

gibbons025

Lil-Rokslider
I always carry my Glock 43X , I don’t hunt around grizzlys so I don’t need anything bigger at the moment. I’d rather be in a situation with my pistol then in a situation wishing I’d had a pistol and it not be there.

I carry an old school blunderbust with a 1 cal barrel loaded with rocks and nails and really whatever shrapnel I come across.

I carry an old school blunderbust with a 1 cal barrel loaded with rocks and nails and really whatever shrapnel I come across.