Carrying Pistol in Backcountry

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I went through this same decision process when I archery hunted elk in CO with a buddy. I ended up bringing a Taurus 38 special Ultra Lite (20.5 oz loaded) and had it in a holster attached to my Metcalf backpack belt. FWIW:
  • I'm glad I had it with me, although I had absolutely no reason to consider using it.
  • I may have made a different decision if I had a rifle, but then again, I doubt I would have kept my rifle loaded and as close at hand as I kept my pistol.
  • Attaching the holster to my backpack belt wasn't a great choice, as the pistol is in a pretty unwieldy position when you are putting on a heavy pack and the belt is undone and flopping around. Either make sure to take off the pistol and put back on after you get your pack on, or consider a chest holster.
  • I live and work in metro Atlanta and was held up at gunpoint at an ATM about 27 years ago, so I tend to err on the side of almost always having a pistol at hand. I don't want to feel helpless and (for me) being in the middle of the woods doesn't give me any additional comfort that nothing will happen.

Porterka

FNG
Archery I carry a pistol just Incase, mostly Incase of running into people that don’t have good intentions. Rifle hunting I don’t bring a pistol. If I were rifle hunting in grizzly country I would have it on me either way.

I would carry it every hunt if I was trying to get used to carrying.

I went through this same decision process when I archery hunted elk in CO with a buddy. I ended up bringing a Taurus 38 special Ultra Lite (20.5 oz loaded) and had it in a holster attached to my Metcalf backpack belt. FWIW:
  • I'm glad I had it with me, although I had absolutely no reason to consider using it.
  • I may have made a different decision if I had a rifle, but then again, I doubt I would have kept my rifle loaded and as close at hand as I kept my pistol.
  • Attaching the holster to my backpack belt wasn't a great choice, as the pistol is in a pretty unwieldy position when you are putting on a heavy pack and the belt is undone and flopping around. Either make sure to take off the pistol and put back on after you get your pack on, or consider a chest holster.
  • I live and work in metro Atlanta and was held up at gunpoint at an ATM about 27 years ago, so I tend to err on the side of almost always having a pistol at hand. I don't want to feel helpless and (for me) being in the middle of the woods doesn't give me any additional comfort that nothing will happen.

I carry a j-frame .357. It’s on the hip belt when I’m carrying my pack but goes in a pocket holster anytime I remove the pack. This worked really well for me the last few years.

Phaseolus

WKR
In Colorado archery hunting? Sometimes I’ll carry my SP101. Rifle hunting, a pistol is dead weight.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I carry everywhere. I have run into some very sketchy situations enough to know you cannot predict when there will be a problem. The only time I will not carry a handgun is if I have a rifle in my hands. If I am in Grizz country I carry both. Aside from the woods the world is changing. I know guys that say in XX number of years never had a problem, but violence is not predictable and therefore, better safe than sorry. I have had several instances where I was threatened with violence and I was doing simple things like pumping gas or going to the doctor and minding my own business.

FLAK

WKR
It seems the only time I EVER have any problems/potential problems is when
I'm not carrying.
Not carrying on a certain type of hunt is in effect, situational carry. Which IMO
is a no-no.
Always Carry.

Last edited:

JMo25

FNG
I plan on carrying one in the back country this year during archery season. I almost would feel naked without it. Like some have said, hard to feel protected enough with your hands processing game/ with just a bow. Even if I had a scoped rifle I’d feel much better with a sidearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's on me anytime I walk out my front door, whether going to the store or headed to the field.

Same for me. Weather it’s my .9mm for around town or .10mm in the backcountry. The added little weight really is nominal when you have worn it for so long. Don’t even notice it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

280ack

FNG
If you read the reports on bear attacks in Wyoming /Montana and Idaho, you will probably see that contact is probable and seeing them before you get hit is not always certain. I looked at incidents and determined that the speed to react and proximity are the biggest factors. Relying on positioning a rifle that is 36-40" long when your already in a bear hug is a challenge. The smaller pistol that is accessible while your engaged in a fight is probably a better additional option. Especially in Gizz country and may not be true anywhere else. I chose a revolver, 41 mag or 45 colt with Buffalo Bore loads with heavy for caliber loads and max energy. Longer barrels will give you higher velocity and higher energy but are more cumbersome to get into place, also autos may give you more rounds but just how many rounds can you see yourself firing in hand to hand combat with teeth and claws ? The auto may have cycling or function issues with all that fur and fat squeezing you. A revolver may be heavy but depending on the caliber and load it can be a 2 x the energy on target proposition as the 10 mm is 700 ft pounds ? Chest holster or strong side hip is the choice i see a lot

I like to bring a compact .45 1911. I know I have a rifle but the pistol is for a more surprise attack. Most bear attacks happen very quickly and to get a rifle ready to shoot would take to long. For me it doesn’t hurt to carry the extra weight.

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
You need something bigger than a .45 ACP, especially if a bear is involved.

etch101

FNG
I carry a springfield xds 45. We don't have much that will attack us where we hunt but it is more of a noise maker just in case. I have shot a cat with my bow that was stalking me a few years ago. I started packing after that.

Stalker69

WKR
I don’t worry as much about animals as I do humans. It don’t matter we’re you are, or how safe you think you may be. Out there in the middle of nowhere you may be seen as an easy target, I carry every where. And have not needed it ( thank God) but I have run into some shady people in very remote places. And I feel a lot better having it on me at all times, and them not aware of it being on me. Texas/ Mexico border we have seen some very very shady situations. Luckily border patrol has been very close at hand. Came upon a camp in Colorado way off the beaten path, not sure what they were up to, but I got a feeling it wasn’t good. Lucky they didn’t see me and I avoided that area after that. They come in handy for camp meat also, grouse, rabbits are tasty additions I don’t really want to shoot with my rifle. Or perhaps loose( damage) arrows shooting them. Obviously I am in favor of carrying. I have never regretting having it, but the few times I don’t have it, there have been times I wish I would of had it.

Last edited:
I prefer to bring a pistol just as a backup and for the potential “oh shit” moments. I lived in AK for a while and due to Grizzly Bear and moose I always carried a Ruger Redhawk 44mag.

it's not enough weight you will even know it's there, so at that point it turns into a "why not?"

I always carry my G20, for the simple reason that I don't notice it, so I have no real reason to leave it.

I never carried a sidearm for years, but after a couple freak encounters with lions (one in particular) I started toying with the idea, finally got my version of the perfect woods pistol, and I don't notice it at all.

will you need it? VERY unlikely.... will it hinder you in any way? if so leave it, if not pack it.

one reason i could think of to leave it is if it interferes with how you sling your rifle, if it's rubbing on your rifle stock when you are packing it, then you would notice it... if not, you won't notice it, so why not just have it?

on a rifle hunt, I could see not packing it.... I have just turned into a "why not" guy.

I always pack mine on a chest rig winter steelhead fishing, and my main motivation is there is always lion sign around, and I have a tag.... I would love to have a picture on the bank of 2 winter steelhead and a lion..... I have killed a limit of steelhead and lion in one day, but not on the same trip.....yet 😉

FullValue

Lil-Rokslider
I think it is pretty simple. You are either someone who carries one or someone who doesn't.
You either believe you might need one some day or you don't. I'm a believer (not paranoid) this goes for everyday of my life.