Carrying Pistol in Backcountry

TheGDog

WKR
WooHoo! Just took the new G29 I bought for backcountry carry to the indoor range to check it out.

Me Likey!... Big Fistful of Fireball!

Obviously for backcountry carry I'm going to want to get some rounds that make use of flash-supressed powders. And definitely need to get some 3-Dot Combat Night-sights though. These stock ones SUCK with my Vision issues.

125484054_372290063864104_3807396921370364156_o.jpg

Jbehredt

WKR
WooHoo! Just took the new G29 I bought for backcountry carry to the indoor range to check it out.

Me Likey!... Big Fistful of Fireball!

Obviously for backcountry carry I'm going to want to get some rounds that make use of flash-supressed powders. And definitely need to get some 3-Dot Combat Night-sights though. These stock ones SUCK with my Vision issues.

View attachment 232447

For a woods Glock the XS Big Dots are hard to beat. Especially if vision is an issue. It’s a big bright dot!

TheGDog

WKR
(Does some Google-fu to look at XS Big Dot sight) ICK! No thank you. Those look like a HORRIBLE idea even for somebody with normal healthy vision! Yuck... those look like the bastard lovechild of a set of Buckhorn sights and some Glock standard plastic sights morphed together. Ick... No Spank You.

I want something just like what's on my lil Sig P238. I love that I can see those big chunky 3-dot sights well enough even without my glasses on to be able to defend myself (close-quarters) if I had to.

Just my own personal preference here. I do greatly appreciate you genuinely offering up something you thought might be helpful though. So thank you for that!

Beendare

WKR
Great pic Gdog!

I'm addicted to my G20....love the 10mm.

FWIW, A thought on Night sights;

I've had night sights on my home defense pistols....and practiced live fire CQB drills with that pistol [ a W German Sig] you quickly learn....night sights only let you see the sight....not the target clearly. The instructors had us run it again with a light....night and day difference [pardon the pun]

Tritium Sights are pretty much worthless. Anything at night and a weapon light is the way to go. Other advantages to a weapon light; blinding the intruder, etc.

First rule of shooting is to identify your target....the light is the way to go on that. I like the TruGlo fiber sights on my pistols.

_____

Glock always comes with me.

Attachments

• BCCB1654-8184-418A-8356-F9E47AA3880D.jpeg
    BCCB1654-8184-418A-8356-F9E47AA3880D.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 81

TheGDog

WKR
RE: 10mm Auto - I definitely gotta say I'm diggin' on the caliber! Kinda reminds me of squeezing off some BuffaloBore rounds in my Security Six. But even a little more "spirited" than that due to its lighter smaller gun size. I'd almost say it feel stronger than that.

I will say though, that I'm still NOT a fan of Glock triggers though. It was a long time ago that I first tried one. And yep... they're still pretty much the same. I dunno.. maybe I'm just spoiled now from firing my Revolver for soo long... and then last couple years the 1911 Single-Action trigger on my lil mini 1911 Sig P238. But "Meh" I was still able to shoot it well first time out. Just took more effort than I feel it should be taking. Because of that ridiculously looooooooooooong trigger pull that stacks up and up and up and it seems ya can't, er... at least *I* can't...yet... "feel" when it's near to breaking, like I can on my others. Hopefully that's something that'll come in time.

Was really happy about the accuracy though. Was just using some PMC Bronze JHP ammo. I'm just gonna need more rounds thru it so my body and mind gets used to it and stops over-anticipating. Couple times caught myself punching the trigger when fatigue built up a bit and induced some shaking from my muscles reaching point of diminishing returns when you're holding it on target too long, again due to the long trigger pull and also some adrenalin and lactic acid build-up.

I think I'd really enjoy a G20 even more with the longer sight radius. Meh, maybe next year. But my most sought after goal was weight savings over my revolver, and keeping a small form-factor to it, like my lil Sig. And I feel I made the right choice there with this G29.

The other main component of why 3-Dot night sights with the nice big blocky sights is that I'm far more accurate because even with my crappy vision, which requires glasses at all times now.. this means the sights themselves are not in focus... so with the nice chunky 3-Dot combat sights... even with as fuzzy as the edges of the blocks become for me.. they are big enough I can still line them up really well with those 3 fuzzy square blocks. Which accomplishes the main objective.

EDIT: Not a fan of Fiber Optic sights for weapons to be taken out into the field. Just seems like Fiber Optic sights always eventually end up have the little fiber pieces eventually fall out or get knocked off by brush or something.

And we'll see about the weapon light. What you're saying totally makes sense and all. How much do they weigh though? So hey... @Beendare... could you possibly suggest a couple nice USB Rechargeable options for the G29?

My vision at night (when my glasses are on of course) is not something I consider an issue and usually I see/detect things better than others in that regard. And when I've been out there camping with the lil Sig P238, I've checked out what it looks like to draw it and aim at stuff in the night without lights. To my eyes it seemed fine. But I'm not stupid and I do realize that's dependent on how much star/moon light is actually reaching down to you though. I guess for now I'll roll without that light for a bit, since I already ordered the Razco as a without light. Then once I pay off some stuff... maybe get a light and the Razco model made for them with a light.

EDIT: @Beendare - Another important question I just thought of... when you have a weapon light attached...on a small barrel gun like this G29... does it leave enough room for those of us with sausage fingers to put the index finger of our support hand upon the outer front surface of the trigger guard? I'm sure you can with a G20 because the longer barrel afford room to work with, but I'm wondering if a light on a G29 might impede your ability to put that finger there outside of the trigger guard for support. That's a must for me, being able to have the support index finger on the outside of trigger guard like that. That's the magic that takes away any wagging of the barrel.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I take a Glock 20 with me all the time, I have a few of them but anytime I go out fishing, hiking, pack rafting, jet boating or hunting I take one. I either cheat carry it with a gunfighters inc kenai chest holster or have it on the belt of my backpack in an ivory holster. In the tent it’s usually just got a trigger guard holster on it.

TheGDog

WKR
@thinhorn_AK - Hey brother could you possibly point me at some examples of what you're talking about when you mentioned "In the tent it's usually just got a trigger guard holster on it."

I'm asking because that sounds like something I'm looking for where.. when I'm successful and take an animal... I'd like to transfer the weapon to being on my person directly. I wouldn't want to have to continue to wear my marsupial gear bino harness with the razco mounted under it while getting bloody. So I figure just something like that to cover the trigger and stuff into my pants pocket while deboning.

With my current back injury thing... wearing belts exacerbates that area back there, so I've been enjoying those First-Lite suspenders (and thoroughly recommend everybody go the suspenders route too when out in the field! Soo much better!) So anyhoo... no belt means no belt holster. So trying to research all the options that'd work for me. Thx.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
@thinhorn_AK - Hey brother could you possibly point me at some examples of what you're talking about when you mentioned "In the tent it's usually just got a trigger guard holster on it."

I'm asking because that sounds like something I'm looking for where.. when I'm successful and take an animal... I'd like to transfer the weapon to being on my person directly. I wouldn't want to have to continue to wear my marsupial gear bino harness with the razco mounted under it while getting bloody. So I figure just something like that to cover the trigger and stuff into my pants pocket while deboning.

With my current back injury thing... wearing belts exacerbates that area back there, so I've been enjoying those First-Lite suspenders (and thoroughly recommend everybody go the suspenders route too when out in the field! Soo much better!) So anyhoo... no belt means no belt holster. So trying to research all the options that'd work for me. Thx.

I have 2 or 3 of them around, they are all slightly different but none of them seem any better than the other.

I found it was just easier to carry one than to pull the holster off my pack belt at night, I messed around awhile and came to the conclusion that it’s easier to just grab the cord and pull it off than it is to mess around with chambering a round.

All that being said, I try to have a clear path to my rifle in case I need it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 47

TheGDog

WKR
I have 2 or 3 of them around, they are all slightly different but none of them seem any better than the other.

I found it was just easier to carry one than to pull the holster off my pack belt at night, I messed around awhile and came to the conclusion that it’s easier to just grab the cord and pull it off than it is to mess around with chambering a round.

All that being said, I try to have a clear path to my rifle in case I need it.
Yeah, that looks perfect. Who makes it? Name of Model? etc. Which retailer to buy it at? Thx

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yeah, that looks perfect. Who makes it? Name of Model? etc. Which retailer to buy it at? Thx

I think I got that one from hill people gear although they aren’t the ones who make it. The others I got just from Amazon if I remember correctly.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

They all seem more or less the same. Anyways, I like the setup, it’s worked well for me for the past few years.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 38

Beendare

WKR
Gdog,
Re light. They take a little getting used to with your grip. I have big hands and do not shoot the compact Glocks G23,G19 as well as a full size.

O light makes a small rechargeable....

PL Mini O light

not massive lumens but lights up the nooks and crannies in my house just fine.

TheGDog

WKR
Cool, thanks! Hrmm looks like it's essentially about the same thing as my lil NEBO Torchy light, just with less light modes and the mounting hardware. Gosh you'd figure they'd make one that's like half this size and that would be just fine for most folks out there, it'd drop the price point down a notch too and to where they'd probably sell like crazy. Anyhoo... thanks sir.

TheGDog

WKR
Hey Question for you @Beendare, since lights are adding mass there, under the barrel, does the user then notice any appreciable decrease in muffle flip when firing that weapon? Or is it pretty much the same? Just got to thinking if that extra mass would lead to getting back on target faster, since this small light G29 does have a lil bit of muzzle flip to it. Was wondering if adding a light tends to make that be less or not.

Beendare

WKR
Hey Question for you @Beendare, since lights are adding mass there, under the barrel, does the user then notice any appreciable decrease in muffle flip when firing that weapon? Or is it pretty much the same? Just got to thinking if that extra mass would lead to getting back on target faster, since this small light G29 does have a lil bit of muzzle flip to it. Was wondering if adding a light tends to make that be less or not.
Muzzle flip? I haven't noticed a difference with a light....but probably because I don't get a lot of flip, anyway. I get really high on my Glocks and grip it tight with my off hand....(see Rob Lathums vid, 'Aiming is useless'...or something like that)

Once I started really clamping down on my Glocks....my followup shot accuracy improved.

_____-

TheGDog

WKR
Gdog,
Re light. They take a little getting used to with your grip. I have big hands and do not shoot the compact Glocks G23,G19 as well as a full size.

O light makes a small rechargeable....

PL Mini O light

not massive lumens but lights up the nooks and crannies in my house just fine.
BTW... thanks man. They have a Black Friday sale on this light today! $62.97

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
Listen to the majority view on this thread (that says to not take the pistol) and don't listen to me.

I carry a pistol at ALL times (even when I go to church). When in the woods and I wake up in the middle of the night and need to pee I have my pistol with me when I step out of the tent. When I am cooking a meal outside of my tent the pistol is on my side. When I hear something go "bump" outside the tent in the middle of the night it is very comforting to reach over and feel that cold steel beside me. I might seem like a sissy and a coward but when in the woods I won't go over 50 ft from my truck without a pistol. I am just not very lucky in the woods and cannot depend of good fortune. I take all the necessary precautions but over the last 35 years I have had 3 BAD encounters with bears, one with a mountain lion that was following me, and one incident with two weirdo guys that looked like they belonged on the movie Deliverance. I would find a different way to cut weight in your pack.

I use a Glock 20 (10mm) or, I also own the Glock 17 (9mm) which is very similar to your Glock 19. I really like carrying the Extreme Penetrator loaded by Underwood in both guns. Excellent penetration with a good wound channel. They are expensive but worth it.

Just my opinion...
I agree 100%. I always carry a pistol when I am hunting in addition to my hunting gun. A few years back, I drew an antelope tag in another western state . The biologist cautioned me to not leave my truck without a gun because of the large number of mountain lions in the area. Human predator are a real consideration in remote areas, and you are on your own. My carry gun is a S&W J frame in .357. Small enough for easy carry, but large enough to do the job. Check the carry laws in both your own state, and your destination, state before you leave.