Carrying Pistol in Backcountry

Brooks

WKR
To me it’s like putting my billfold in my back pocket, when I walk out the door I have my hand gun with me same with hunting....it’s on me.

If you cannot draw, aim, and accurately shoot under 1 second every time (ton of high stress practice), do not rely on your handgun to save your rear in the event of a sudden bear charge at close range. I'd say the same is true with bear spray. I am basing this off of a very close encounter with a large boar (black bear) at less than 7 yards. After that, I looked to see how fast bears could move. In this case, he'd have been on me (if he wanted to) before I would have been able to draw let alone get a shot off.

I do not understand why people feel the need to shoot snakes and other critters unnecessarily; walk around them. Not only does it demonstrate a serious lack of respect for life, but it also can spook any target game in the general area. Also, depending on where you are it is similar to ringing a dinner bell for apex predators.

I only bring a handgun when hunting solo and even then it is a subcompact (ex: Beretta Nano). It comes out when I glass (southern AZ) and is never more than an arms reach (same for my rifle). It is also made readily available when approaching my vehicle at dusk or after dark.

Check the laws for transporting your handgun and rifle for the route(s) that you plan to take.

My training has brought me to the conclusion the odds of needing a sidearm are slim to none but if I do...it'll be a two legged critter, not a four. They run in packs. For this reason I upgraded from a six round .44 revolver (S&W 329PD) to a 10mm Glock 40. I am now taking training for long range shooting with it. My first lesson got me a nice group at 25 yards...hoping to quadruple that in time.

g40-7.jpg

Spoonman

WKR
I guess it depends on the hunt but the majority of the time I have my LCR 357 on my hip belt. Very lightweight and small enough in size it’s never in the way.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
I used to carry every day when I worked in the city, but when I'm hunting out west I don't feel any need whatsoever. I might consider it if hunting griz country, but even then I'd most likely opt for bear spray. If you are an EDC guy, then by all means carry the Glock. I appreciate that folks are out there who carry 24/7, but I feel safer in the back country than just about anywhere else. I emphasize my thoughts on hunting WESTERN public land, because I was once held up at gun point by a meth head coming out of the woods hunting a little chunk of suburban property (30 acres surrounded by developments) I really wish I had been carrying that day, but then again who knows, I didn't get shot, so it could have made the situation worse.

Last edited:
Read a report not long ago about a bow hunter who came across a plateau with lots of perfectly lush grass and wallows. Took ten steps and heard a crunch. Looked left and saw mama bear and two big cubs working a carcass. Drew his phone to take video...mama stood up, looked around then charged straight at him from 30-35 yards away. The guy didn't have his pistol drawn when she broke off at 15'. He was lucky she bluff charged, he would be dead otherwise. I always carry...better to have it and not need it.

Orion1

FNG
I have a S&W 329 titanium 44 mag or a glock 20 that usually get the nod, the 329 is a bit of a handful with the Garrett hammerhead loads but has serious stopping power in bear country

I have a S&W 329 titanium 44 mag or a glock 20 that usually get the nod, the 329 is a bit of a handful with the Garrett hammerhead loads but has serious stopping power in bear country
I was at the gun shop last summer with intentions of buying a 329, already having a G20 I carry in the woods, I talked myself out of it last second and got a 629... still really curious about the 329, and want to shoot one.

I bet that's a pretty snappy gun, especially with hot loads. I would expect it to be more punishing than my 500, which stings a bit with hot loads

I have never needed a pistol for defense out in the woods, the reason I have found it most useful is putting down an animal that is not quite dead when you initially walk up on it. Shooting a long gun with a high power scope from a few feet away tends to be difficult and it runs meat. Just my opinion!

Hot_Rod51

FNG
I intend on carrying bear spray and my Springfield XD 45 with the hottest hollow point I can buy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I would love to be able to carry like you guys do south of the border. That being said Canada has way more bears and handguns can only go to the range and back home and I don’t think people are getting tore up at any greater rate up here. Being out there with your head up seems like the best bet.

I have an inside the waist belt holster for my Glock 19 that I attached to the waist belt on my Kuiu pack. It stayed out for last year's Montana deer hunt.

muddydogs

WKR
I have never needed a pistol for defense out in the woods, the reason I have found it most useful is putting down an animal that is not quite dead when you initially walk up on it. Shooting a long gun with a high power scope from a few feet away tends to be difficult and it runs meat. Just my opinion!

If you place the muzzle of the rifle a few inch from the spine just below the head and pull the trigger you will waste very little meat and hit your target without needing the scope. I haven't found a rifle yet that I can,t control while hold it with both hands and pull the trigger.

NGlass65D

FNG
Glock 19 in my HPG kit bag every time I go out. It’s extra weight and I’m not likely to need it, but I can’t seem to let myself go without it.

Last edited:
I intend on carrying bear spray and my Springfield XD 45 with the hottest hollow point I can buy.

Please do a search on what is the best ammo for dangerous game. You may find it interesting and change your mind about the hollow points. IMHO

carmanusa

FNG
I’ve carried a 10mm and spray...over time I lean towards the spray more and leave the pistol at base or the truck.

Hot_Rod51

FNG
Please do a search on what is the best ammo for dangerous game. You may find it interesting and change your mind about the hollow points. IMHO
Yeah im finding out that a hard cast lead bullet may be better for penetrating the thick muscle and skull of a grizz.

Im considering a different caliber altogether. Problem is, I already own a 45 and a 9mm. If I go 357 or 44 mag I'll have to buy another gun.

Research continues.

Yeah im finding out that a hard cast lead bullet may be better for penetrating the thick muscle and skull of a grizz.

Im considering a different caliber altogether. Problem is, I already own a 45 and a 9mm. If I go 357 or 44 mag I'll have to buy another gun.

Research continues.

A different caliber may be better but I believe the best ammo in your best pistol is better than nothing.

Last year while packing elk in the dark and seeing eyes in my headlamp woke me up. They turned out to be elk but was very unnerving in grizz country.

When I got home my first purchase was a light weight 44 mag. Lol