Carrying side arm on Kuiu pack?

I use one of these, the large will fit a full size handgun. Allows me to carry when just hiking (no open carry in CA) and an extra benefit of keeping it (mostly) out of the elements with quick access. Yeah it's a little bulky but one of the only solutions I found for full size concealed carry on a hip belt.

Is that because of the squeaking ?

Because they carry heavy loads so poorly.
I could get over the squeaking if they carried a load worth a damn. I cringed through the pain humping a sheep off the mountain a couple years ago and I dropped the ball on ordering a new pack last year and had to do it again. Anything over 60 lbs and all the load is on your shoulders pushing through them narrow ass straps. never again

Jhill1980

FNG
I could get over the squeaking if they carried a load worth a damn. I cringed through the pain humping a sheep off the mountain a couple years ago and I dropped the ball on ordering a new pack last year and had to do it again. Anything over 60 lbs and all the load is on your shoulders pushing through them narrow ass straps. never again
Did you have the Pro or Ultra hip belt and straps? I experienced squeaking when packing a deer out(not deboned). But, it wasn’t excruciating on my shoulders. Do you use the load sling or the pack bag for packing out?

Because they carry heavy loads so poorly.
Thats pretty funny - their new suspension is awesome. Carry’s loads better than SG and Exo imo. There is an awesome review on this site that covers most major packs. Kuiu was rated one of the highest. Guy even packed out an entire whitetail buck guts in with the kuiu. The new bag layouts are awesome as well.

to answer the OPs question, I use a paddle holster on my kuiu so I can throw it on my pants in the event I dump my pack and decide to wander around a little bit. I can just take the paddle holster off and roll on.

To each their own, I hauled an entire black bear out fur and quarters that weighed about 120lbs last spring. It was about as comfortable as I could have asked for. I am guessing you don’t have their new Icon Pro Suspension. I bought mine in 2019 - the 3600 and have since hauled a ton of weight with that pack - elk, bears, mulies etc. It has been excellent.

Jhill1980

FNG
Thats pretty funny - their new suspension is awesome. Carry’s loads better than SG and Exo imo. There is an awesome review on this site that covers most major packs. Kuiu was rated one of the highest. Guy even packed out an entire whitetail buck guts in with the kuiu. The new bag layouts are awesome as well.

to answer the OPs question, I use a paddle holster on my kuiu so I can throw it on my pants in the event I dump my pack and decide to wander around a little bit. I can just take the paddle holster off and roll Kuiu out those packs through rig

to answer the OPs question, I use a paddle holster on my kuiu so I can throw it on my pants in the event I dump my pack and decide to wander around a little bit. I can just take the paddle holster off and roll on.
I love my Kuiu Icon Pro 5200. It doesn’t have the newest suspension rig. But, for a pack under @ 5# it can haul some serious loads. More than any human can probably carry. In my opinion no pack out is “comfortable “ there is quite a difference in the “suck” factor with lesser packs. I used to use my old Kelty Coyote 80 backpacking rig. That wasn’t fun. I couldn’t be happier with the Kuiu pack

OP
S

snik

FNG

What paddle holster are you using?