Carrying side arm on Kuiu pack?

VASolocam

FNG
I’ve been running a Eleazar© Molle Holster from Dale Fricke For the last two years. I primarily use it on a kifaru day pack or my stone glacier hip belts, But I just tried it and it works well with the Velcro strap on my wife’s KUIU pack hip belt.
I really like this set up when I’m caring my Glock 20 on the pack because it has good retention and a fully enclosed bottom which cubes dirt and debris out of the holster. There are times though when I run a chest rig.

texjitter

Lil-Rokslider
Me and a buddy were just discussing this as we'd like to carry our Glocks with us when we go on our Spring bear hunt, but the conundrum is that once you take off your pack for any reason then the gun goes with it. I'm considering one of the HPG Recon bags with molle that I can attached my bino pouch to and then still be able to keep a handgun in the zippered pouch. Anyone else do something similar?

I run my glock on my hip belt and my bear spray on my bino harness, but it would be nice to have a system to put the gun on my bino harness as well.

ibax

Lil-Rokslider
Any one figured out a good way to carry a side arm on a Kuiu pack?
Hi all, I read through this thread and and went with an OWB holster on the Velcro strap of the Pro Harness. Sidearm is Springfield XDM 10MM. I haven’t hiked in it yet and I’m worried about it obstructing my arm movement so I will report back.

025A8812-68F4-42EC-8512-3B13C0600F17.jpeg

*zap*

WKR
The best way to carry a handgun that I have found while I have a pack on my back is a hpg chest pack. The main problem with a holster on a pack bag or belt is that when you take the pack off you no longer have your handgun on you...that is not acceptable to me. Maybe a paddle holster could be rigged to go on the pack belt and then just switched to you pant belt??
Next best method is a drop leg holster attached to your pant belt and with just one strap on the bottom of the holster. That strap should be just below your crotch which would have the handgun grip sit just below the pack belt.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
There is lot to be said for carrying your handgun on a chest rig, so you have you gun with you in the event you take off your pack. That said, I like to keep my binos and range finder on my chest, and there is only so much real estate.

I have no experience with that particular backpack, but I have had great experience carry my handgun on my pack's hip belt in a Wilderness Tactical Products safe packer. It is a great rig, basically a flap holster, and it is very discrete if you are crossing through areas populated by non-hunters or those who don't approve of firearms. They make the in various sizes to accommodate different handguns. I have two.

I used one to good effect on my 6-day archery elk hunt in Idaho this September. I carried my Glock 20 on the Prairie Belt attached to my Hill People Gear Umlinde 2.0.

Wilderness Safe Packer