Carrying Tip Money/TSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been contemplating this question for sometime now, but after reading the TSA requirements and search procedures I figured I would ask how hunters carry large sums of CASH tip money without issues from TSA searches. Maybe I’m over reacting but about 25 years ago I got detained at the Canadian border for several hours because they found $500 in cash in my glove compartment. They didn’t like my explanation of travel money. So I have bad visions of being whisked off to a back room if someone finds 10 times that much cash on me. I thought about putting it in checked baggage but that is equally scary. Am I over reacting or what is the easiest/safest way

Rich M

WKR
Being detained for $500 is incredible insane.

Get yourself a money belt. Carry it all on your person, out of sight, out of mind.

I used to hunt & fish with a guy who usually had $5K in his belt and a bit more in his wallet.

I’ve been contemplating this question for sometime now, but after reading the TSA requirements and search procedures I figured I would ask how hunters carry large sums of CASH tip money without issues from TSA searches. Maybe I’m over reacting but about 25 years ago I got detained at the Canadian border for several hours because they found $500 in cash in my glove compartment. They didn’t like my explanation of travel money. So I have bad visions of being whisked off to a back room if someone finds 10 times that much cash on me. I thought about putting it in checked baggage but that is equally scary. Am I over reacting or what is the easiest/safest way
Put in carry on and declare it if applicable. If it's legitimate, there is nothing to worry about.

hunt1up

WKR
I'm pretty sure there is no limit on the cash you can carry domestically. Over $10,000 must be declared for international.

I was sitting at an airport bar last year and this older oil drilling guy from Texas sat down next to me. We started chatting and he was more than willing to tell me about his business. He was coming back from a month in the middle east where he helped with drilling. He worked over there for a month at a time and then came come for a month and did that for years. The Saudis would pay him in cash and him and his coworkers would fly home with duffle bags of cash to avoid paying taxes. He had a bag between his feet and he said it had something like $200,000 in cash in it. Why he would tell a stranger that I do not know, but he was dead serious the whole time. They'd go right through security with it. He said every now and then one of his counterparts would get caught but in general it was a breeze. He was an interesting dude.

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Would Western Union be able to address your concerns (i.e. someone at home could transfer the cash to you once you're in CA)?

I would not put any cash or jewelry in checked in luggage, no way. There are always reports of theft and internal conspiracy rings at international airports. I would put it in a pouch which was secured/tied into a zippered pocket of a small briefcase or satchel and run that through TSA x-ray, that way it cant get swiped. reported amounts up to $10K are not a crime nor can it be considered unreported outbound currency, not that you should travel with that amount in cash...

redcorn65

Lil-Rokslider
I take 5k in cash to Vegas once a year. I walk through the scanners with it in my front pocket and every year I get lectured to put it in the bucket and let them scan it but my money goes where I go. Nothing else has been said. They just roll their eyes and go on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure there is no limit on the cash you can carry domestically. Over $10,000 must be declared for international.

While there might not be a limit specified within laws, police will generally seize it based on the bullshit idea that you're attempting to buy drugs or traffic drugs. They'll pull in the drug dogs and the dog will give a positive ID for the presence of drugs. There's lots of videos about the illegality of the practice.

I've travelled with high amounts of cash as well but i keep it cached in hard to reach area's if its over $1k. If the Popo demand to search they generally only look in the most accessible areas if you do let them search.

Best practice is only cooperate as far as "here is my license and registration" and the record them back and basically spell out in plain to understand words that they pulled you over for no reason other than a suspicion based on a generic description that could be used for 10K other random people and you haven't actually broken any laws
Here's a classic example of this

Here is another video for the uneducated

*zap*

WKR
Maybe use PayPal for your tip to the guide....plu7s, with inflation $500 is a mere pittance to have with you. Couple tanks of fuel....

JeffP_Or

WKR
Tip cash on my person on several international vacations and fishing trips - no issues. Several times I have packaged it up with other travel papers and put it on the xray machines inside my backpack carryone - I never take my eyes of it. Pack was checked once but they didn't bother doing anything but pawing through to identify the one object that caught their attention - i stink-eyed them the entire time [and was cordial].

WCB

WKR
I've brought tip money to Africa, NZ, Canada, and domestically to Texas. have had zero issues. Internationally never carried over 10K. They ask I say no.

I ALWAYS have it in my carryon, in a small zip up planner with travel documents (outfitter contact or something similar). I would think you would have to be dinged or caught with something fairly obvious for them to start opening up planners or even your wallet. Not sure of a time I have ever traveled without at least $500 cash just in my wallet.

tony

WKR
Just got back from a cruise few months back. Took $500.00 cash. I placed it in this little passport wallet with the passport
TSA never said word or even looked.
They were more concerned with the extra zippered pocket on my pants leg.

OP
M

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input on carrying cash. It’s a shame things have to be that way and I know the rules about $10K in cash being the limit before eyebrows are supposed to be raised. The Patriot Act has made anyone dealing in cash a criminal. But I think it’s more the mood of the individual making the call at the moment And the $10K rule goes out the window. I used to cash checks at a local bank until I got the FNG teller and wanted to interrogate me as why I was cashing a check instead of depositing it. All the other tellers knew me and when I raised my voice stating it was none of his business unless he wanted me to close all my accounts, the other tellers came to set him straight.
I think I will just tuck it in an envelope with my other hunt paperwork and let the chips fall where they may……I’m assuming all will go smooth but wanted to hear from hunters who regularly carry tip money through airports

Traveler

WKR
Are you traveling domestically? If so, get a withdrawal receipt from the bank when you pull it out and take it with you for peace of mind. I doubt you’d have any issues.

AKDoc

WKR
Put in carry on and declare it if applicable. If it's legitimate, there is nothing to worry about.
This is exactly what I have done...within state, between states and internationally. It's always in my carry-on, which is in my possession when traveling.

Just know (and be sure) the limit you can have in possession and any necessary declarations, if any, for the travel you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.