Carter Evolution: need help

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
Got a new evolution today. Watched vids on how to use it. Didn't change any factory settings at first. I tried it on a simulator (boot lace) and it fired. I hooked it up to my d loop, depressed the safety, came to full draw, released the safety and started pulling. I pulled, pulled, pulled, started shaking, it wouldn't fire. I depressed the safety, let down, backed the tension screw out (counter clockwise), tried it again, same thing. I repeated this several times until the screw was backed out as far as it would go, still wouldn't fire. I then changed to the lighter 30# spring, repeated the same as before, and it still wouldn't fire with my bow. It will still fire using the simulator. My form is good (shoulder isn't collapsing, hand is straight). So then I hooked up to my d loop, pulled back with safety depressed, tried to pull through it and nothing. Then, while at full draw, I intensionally bumped the safety forward with my thumb, and the release fired. I had a feeling the safety wasn't disengaging, which is why I bumped it forward. Am I doing something wrong or does it sound like this release is faulty?

*zap*

WKR
If it fires when connected to something else and the safety is released it should be good. There is a learning curve to those, I shot one for a while. You need to push out with the bow arm and drop your release arm elbow...this should squeeze your shoulder blades together... I shot 50+ deer with mine in 6 years.
I think they work well with a bow that has a hard back wall.

OP
B

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
But when I hook it up to the simulator, I don't press the safety, I just hook up, bring the release back to my anchor point, start pulling, and it goes off just fine (safety is never depressed). When I hook up to my actual d loop, depress the safety, go to full draw, let off the safety and pull, it won't fire. I noticed that when I let off of the safety, it doesn't release. It's kinda like the safety is sticking in the depressed position, hence why it fired when I bumped it forward with my thumb.

*zap*

WKR
Anything is possible, why not hook it up to some small acc cord that is attached to something solid......depress the safety, put a good amount of tension on it and then release the safety? When I first started using one there was a learning curve....

Or go to a bow shop and have the knowledgeable folks there look at it.

Mine was similar I had to hook it up to a scale and measure where it released and then measured holding weight on the bow and set it like 2-3 lbs heavier than holding weight the 18-20 lbs it came in at was to much for 12lb holding weight or whatever I was shooting at the time

Just read this on AT

socoalt

WKR
Got a new evolution today. Watched vids on how to use it. Didn't change any factory settings at first. I tried it on a simulator (boot lace) and it fired. I hooked it up to my d loop, depressed the safety, came to full draw, released the safety and started pulling. I pulled, pulled, pulled, started shaking, it wouldn't fire. I depressed the safety, let down, backed the tension screw out (counter clockwise), tried it again, same thing. I repeated this several times until the screw was backed out as far as it would go, still wouldn't fire. I then changed to the lighter 30# spring, repeated the same as before, and it still wouldn't fire with my bow. It will still fire using the simulator. My form is good (shoulder isn't collapsing, hand is straight). So then I hooked up to my d loop, pulled back with safety depressed, tried to pull through it and nothing. Then, while at full draw, I intensionally bumped the safety forward with my thumb, and the release fired. I had a feeling the safety wasn't disengaging, which is why I bumped it forward. Am I doing something wrong or does it sound like this release is faulty?

I had a nock on silverback which I believe is basically the same release. It did the same thing that you are describing (safety not disengaging at full draw, but would fire with a trainer.) I sent it back to carter and they replaced the sear. It works fine now.

wapitibob

WKR
You don’t need the safety with a simulater because you aren’t pulling thru a bows peak weight.
Sounds like the safety isn’t disengaging correctly.

But when I hook it up to the simulator, I don't press the safety, I just hook up, bring the release back to my anchor point, start pulling, and it goes off just fine (safety is never depressed). When I hook up to my actual d loop, depress the safety, go to full draw, let off the safety and pull, it won't fire. I noticed that when I let off of the safety, it doesn't release. It's kinda like the safety is sticking in the depressed position, hence why it fired when I bumped it forward with my thumb.
This doesn’t sound right. May be faulty.

OP
B

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
I called Carter. The tech said to lube the safety and jaw. I did that and it took care of it. It's working properly now. I'm a little disapointed that I had to do that, but all's good now. Thanks for everyone's input