Carter Release Advise!

2CJake

FNG
I am wanting to make the switch over to BT/Thumb release this year for archery elk. I am looking at the Carter "too simple" and "wise choice". What do you guys use and what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Jimbob

WKR
I switched this year to a hinge and love it. I definitely had some target panic and was punching my index finger, I didn't think I did but I did.

The hinge cleared that up, you have to keep aiming and let the release go off. I may get a thumb trigger as well but will always use a hinge to keep myself honest. This year I will most likely be hunting with the hinge.

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Can't go wrong with a Carter in my opinion. I like the Just B Cuz myself. Fits my hand better than all the others. Looks like you're eyeing the straight handle models. Id try to play around with a swept model as well as a straight handle to see what feels best. When you relax your hand the swept model matches the natural contour of your hand more so depending on your shot style it may be the better option.

OP

2CJake

FNG
I will definitely check into that! Thats great advice, thank you.

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
Not to derail your thread and I’m certain you have already checked them out, but take a good hard look at the SX3, shootoff, or perfex from Stan. I like Stan better than Carter myself. Generally have more adjustability with the thumb barrel and the trigger mechanism itself is every bit as good if not better than a Carter.

That being said, Carters are excellent as well. And to actually answer your question, I’d lean toward a thumb trigger for hunting. Out of the two you listed I’d go with the wise choice. I like the index finger hole.

nphunter

WKR
It is all personal preference, I like the straight models better than swept for my hands. Carters IMO cannot be beat, I have both of the ones your asking about. To me it really just depends on if you plan to only hunt with one and shoot it or start getting into hinge shooting as well.

I have been shooting a Simple 1 which is identical to the too Simple but doesn’t have the adjustable spring. The too simple replaced the simple 1. The simple series has a short neck which means you can shoot anchor up further on your face which is great if you need a longer draw length on a shorter bow. I shot this release for the last 5+ years and had two of them. I actually just traded one of them this week for a wise choice.

I wanted the wise choice because I also have a carter 2 moons hinge and an evolution release. With the simple being shorter necked my POI always changed compared to the other two. I also noticed I have more face pressure with the shorter necked release. The wise choice is in the exact same housing as the evolution and the same neck length as the 2 moons. Now when i shoot all three I have the same POI when switching and I really like practicing with the others to keep from developing target panic.

The Simple releases are great hunting release or releases to use if that’s all your going to use and switch. They are compact which is great but they are so compact you could never get a hinge to have that short of neck. I really have never had a single issue with the Simple 1 and they have been great. I haven’t 100% decided which I will end up hunting with. It will be the one I shoot the most consistent.

Sharpsman

FNG
The nice thing about the wise choice is the auto cocking jaw. Carter makes fantastic stuff
And it’s also very easy to punch with a thumb trigger if you have target panic, the hinge not so much

Gumbo

WKR
I shot both the Too Simple (short head) and First Choice (long head) as well as the Nock 2 It (a two finger Wise Choice). I would suggest that the index loop on the Wise Choice is incredibly beneficial for hunting because it allows you to manipulate objects like a rangefinder with the release in your hand. This is very difficult with the Too Simple/First Choice. Also, it has a hole to attach a sling, or in my case a loop to attach it to my bino harness. All are great releases.

Ta406

FNG
I just switched from a Spot Hogg Wise Guy to a Carter Evolution. Its my first BT release and so far I'm happy with it.

OP

2CJake

FNG
thanks everyone! I went with the Nock2It, love it so far. definitely using it this year on my archery hunt.