Carter thumb release

Slim Jim

WKR
I have been wanting to switch from an index finger release to a thumb release for a while. It just seems like a more solid anchor to me. My question is do you think the chocolate lite is a good choice and do I go with three or four finger?

c5mrr270

WKR
Chocolate, chocolate lite, simple 1, easy 1, plain 1 and whisper are all good choices for hunting. They all require only one move to cock the release. As for three finger or four finger that's all personal pref erence. I prefer 3 finger with a swept handle. If you can shoot as many as you can and go from there.

Lawnboi

WKR
I use a simple 1 and really like it.

Hard to know for sure if it fits you really well or not without getting it in your hand.

If I were getting another one id get the plain 1, same as the simple with 4 fingers.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would go shoot some before buying. I bought 3 or 4 before I found the one I stuck with it. That was about $600 experimenting. I sold them to recover some, but still costly.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Slim Jim, try friends or associates that may shoot them. You could order from Lancaster, try out for a week or two and send back. That gets expensive when you start figuring in shipping each way.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Thanks Evan!

I didn't know that was even here, and in a couple of weeks, sweet. I can't wait to go and it's free to boot

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Slim Jim, feeling a release in your hand isn't going to give you an idea of how they will feel when you shoot them. It might narrow down your choices, but shooting them for a couple days will ultimately be the deciding factor.

Lawnboi

WKR
Slim Jim, feeling a release in your hand isn't going to give you an idea of how they will feel when you shoot them. It might narrow down your choices, but shooting them for a couple days will ultimately be the deciding factor.

x2, and its going to be hard to know what you will really end up liking if your just switching, especially just by holding it. Its a bit different going from an index to a handle, and its going to take a bit for you to figure out exactly how you like everything.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Come on guys you're killing me. I'm not rich, hopefully I get it right the first time.

Will they let you bring your bow in if not competing? This way I'll be able to at least draw

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Drawing isn't going to do it. You need time to adjust trigger travel, trigger tension, trigger angle, etc. to determine which one is best for your hand, anchor and type of triggering you are going to do. It is a process. May be best to narrow down to a few at show, then order one at a time from Lancaster Archery, try it and send it back if not for you.

Lawnboi

WKR
Or you could get lucky and pick a one that works the first time like I did.

Honestly though, stan and carter make nice releases, that will all preform. If you cant find any to try, id read around, pick one that appeals to you, and order it. Worst case scenario your sending it back or taking a little hit selling it online.

vcb

WKR
Slim Jim do it. Change to the thumb and its going to be the best change you have made. I have shot a index FOREVER! And since last year I have been shooting my index with back tension. It's wasn't easy and the bad part was it took some of my attention away from aiming to concentrate on pulling. About 3 weeks ago I got a Stan thumb. Dude, I have been making effortless unconscious back tension releases ever since! I absolutely love the thumb release and I'm confident you Are too

gotllamas

FNG
World Archery Festival is the weekend of Feburuary 10-12 at the South Point Hotel. There is a lot of the vendors from vanes, bows, sights, releases, arrows, and ect. Now this is geared more towards the target world but you can find the hunting gear.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love my Stan, not that Carter's aren't great. The Stan offered more adjustments to the angle and size if barrel, which made it fit my hand best.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Doug ill be checking out the Stan's as well. Which Stan release should I be looking for? I don't know to much about them

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I shoot the Shootoff 4 finger. The medium for target and large for hunting. I can't shoot the medium with gloves on so that is the reason for two sizes. I also shoot my hunting one with a much firmer trigger tension.