Cartridge Choice

Stalker69

WKR
My preference now days is my bow, but killed many of them with a 243 and a 7mm mag. The 7 mag in my opinion is way over gunned for pronghorn. The 243 seemed about perfect to me. Now days, I want to get up close and personal before I kill anything.

OP
jzeblaz

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
My preference now days is my bow, but killed many of them with a 243.
Archery antelope! Impressive. Do you typically hunt from a blind? Fast 6mm just about perfect!!! Do you find they are prone to jump the string much?

Stalker69

WKR
Both blind and spot and stock ( my biggest has been spot and stock) blind is “ easier” but gets boring as hell. And as far as jumping the string, I wouldn’t say any worse then deer. We tried decoys several times also, but I have not been successful that way yet. We made both antelope decoys and cow “ decoys”. But we must not look convincing enough.

OP
jzeblaz

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
Nice! Yeah, the blinds sound mind numbing. I'd agree the blind show a lot of promise, especially with the pronghorns' curiosity. Good hunting!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have not hunted them for several years but me and my dad used to go get them yearly. I still have both of our antelope rifles although they don’t really get shot anymore.

Mine is a weatherby vanguard in 257 weatherby and my dads is a weatherby MKV in 240 weatherby. Both of them I believe have 4.5-14 leupolds on them. Back then I didn’t really know anything about guns but whenever I shot those weatherby rifles I felt like I was shooting a laser. They were both more or less perfect for antelope.

JeffP_Or

WKR
.25-06 - also is my deer rifle. I have enjoyed the round and am confident with it. The rifle really likes the old Hornady Custom 117gr interlock - which has proven successful many times. I've looked at the SST [used that round on one pronghorn] and GMX as well.
Pronghorn is a great hunt.

I haven’t had the opportunity to hunt pronghorn yet, hopefully next year.

When I do I will be taking my 257 Weatherby and my 264 Win Mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ianpadron

WKR
Haven't scratched the speed goat itch yet, but it's certainly calling. My .243 will get the nod on that hunt, 87 grain VLDs at 3300 FPS...

Wrader36

FNG
I'll second the .257 Weatherby... I've taken all my antelope and all but one of my deer with it. By far my favorite gun.

Got my first goat in years… used my new 6mm Creedmoor, 108 ELD-X. No issues or dissatisfaction in performance