Cartridge for Spring Bear

Vaultman

WKR
My son (14 yo) drew a spring bear tag (Oregon: Weneha). The unit from what I see is pretty rugged, and long shots are to be expected. I could see him shooting up to 350 yards maybe 400. I have three rifles that I could see him using, all with what I think is a downside. Any help in the decision would be awesome:

1. Weatherby Vangaurd youth, CAL: 7mm-08.
2. Rem 700, CAL: 25-06.
3. AR-10, CAL: man bun (6.5CM).

#1 is what he has shot the most (but he has grown A TON since he started) and I am 100% sure I can have him confident on the 25-06 in no time. Two downsides, is I have a cheap scope on this and it only goes to 9x. I am concerned with longer shot options with that optic. and second, is I do not think I can get the bipod mount to work on that stock without causing damage to it.

#2. He has never shot this, but I know it is not to big of a gun for him. This has great 4-16 scope, so longer range I have no concerns. My concern is bullet size. Barnes TTSX 117gr. Will that bullet do the trick. I've heard bear fat can plug a bullet hole pretty quick. I have the connections to get this bipod / tripod ready with adding one drill-whole in the stock.

#3. He has shot this and shoots it well. But this rifle weighs nearly 13 lbs (without bipod or ammo). I have a feeling we will be walking in this unit a lot, so I mainly worry about the weight. All I would need for this is to find a 5 round mag, as my 10's are over the legal limit. This also has a great scope with 4-16 power.

I am leaning towards the 25-06. Lighter weight by far than the 6.5 cm, and better optics than the 7mm-08. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
It'd be a good idea to have your son learn to shoot off of a pack or shooting sticks. The terrain may not always be bipod friendly. With that said...

I'd see how he likes the 25-06. The Barnes should not have an issue with the bear. This is the spring so most of the bear's fat will already be long gone.

If your son is not liking the 25-06, then go with the 7mm-08.

Batch

FNG
all three will kill a bear at that range. use whatever he is comfortable shooting and like az hunter said practice shooting off sticks and packs.
never heard or have seen fat plug a wound hole. hide and fur will keep them from leaving a good blood trail at times .

OP
Vaultman

Vaultman

WKR
Will do. I will have him on the 25-06 this week. I am sure it will be the best for the current situation. Thanks!

@Batch Those are some nice looking dogs in your profile pic!

TheGDog

WKR
First off ... DO NOT do the 13Lbs rifle. No way. No how. That boy would be miserable to be around with the whining about it.

I wouldn't be concerned about a bipod. Just bring those Cabelas Kwik Stix (my 13yo does ok with it for Ground Squirrels), or some other lightweight tripod solution perhaps. Can always just shoot of the pack as well. But that does require time to drop the pack. Move it around, etc. Something to consider. Those Kwik Stix are ready super fast.

Does the 4-16 weigh significantly more than the 3-9? I know it sounds like the scope quality is way better, but if he's gonna be whining the whole time because of everything weighing him down, you don't wanna do that to yourself man. As long as the 3-9 has some reticle marks to help ya know holdover, his existing familiarity with it and it's trigger would get my vote. Plus I'm figuring that scope weighs lot less too, right?

P.S. sorry to hear about your dog man. Had to put down my Rat Terrier last year. Died slowly from Ulcerating (bleeding/weeping) Cancer tumors.

If he's still comfortable behind the 7-08, I would go that way. 9X is more power than needed for 300-400 yds.

25-06 would be my very capable second choice. And I would leave that 13# boat anchor in the safe.

I also agree with the previous post. Ditch the bipod and get him comfortable shooting off his pack or a set of stix.

OP
Vaultman

Vaultman

WKR
On rifle #1 (the 7-08) the 3-9x40 is a Redfield (Leopold's budget scope) and it has their acu-range reticle (not great),
redfield-accu-range.jpg

On rifle #2 (the 25-06) the 4-16x44 is a Zeiss V4 so it is not heavy as one may think. This has no hold over in the reticle but the external turrets that I have checked.

On rifle #3 (the boat anchor 6.5 cm) the 4-16 is a ATACR, adding to the weight. But I have pretty well ruled this one out.

TheGDog

WKR
You'll just need to make sure you printout and tape to the stock the bullet drop field chart for your load for that 7mm-08. Print the chart in like 25yd increments should be fine. Have it do 10mph crosswind at 90 degrees, and form your guesstimate in the field based on how different it is from that, in terms of holding to left or right of target.

Damn... I do like ZEISS glass though. Those two rifles are very comparable in energy numbers, either should be fine, as long as you're using a appropriate projectile. Looked to be only 200ft-lbs difference in Barnes VOR-TX loadings for them both.

OP
Vaultman

Vaultman

WKR
Oh and when you google Kwick Stix.

Attachments

• 81Zqzkk1UbL._AC_SY450_.jpg
    81Zqzkk1UbL._AC_SY450_.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 11

DCAN

FNG
Having lived, worked, and hunted all around the area where your son has the tag, I can assure you it can be very steep country. Be prepared to pack a long way up hill. Also prepare to deal with ticks. They DO carry lyme disease.
As for the rifle, any of those calibers will work with the right bullet and good shot placement. I'd take the one he shoots the best. Wouldn't hurt to have a backup rifle just in case. Should be a great adventure!
I almost put in for my spring tag in that general area, but decided to stay closer to home this year. There is a big old boar about 5 min from the house on private land I get to hunt.
Have a great hunt and good luck!

OP
Vaultman

Vaultman

WKR
Having lived, worked, and hunted all around the area where your son has the tag, I can assure you it can be very steep country. Be prepared to pack a long way up hill. Also prepare to deal with ticks. They DO carry lyme disease.
As for the rifle, any of those calibers will work with the right bullet and good shot placement. I'd take the one he shoots the best. Wouldn't hurt to have a backup rifle just in case. Should be a great adventure!
I almost put in for my spring tag in that general area, but decided to stay closer to home this year. There is a big old boar about 5 min from the house on private land I get to hunt.
Have a great hunt and good luck!
Thank you for the comment!!!!