Cartridge options

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a September rifle bear tag in the unit my dad has an archery bull elk tag (Colorado). I’m planning to call for and help him the whole week we’re there, but I’ll keep a rifle on my pack in case we spot or run across a bear.

I have a .270 Win that is nice and light and a 7mm Rem Mag that’s nearly 2lbs heavier. Since I’ll have the gun on my back 90% of the time, I’m leaning towards the .270 with a good bullet. I’m limiting my shooting to 300 yards. Is this the right way of thinking or should I suck it up for the bigger, faster round?

Northpark

WKR
For black bear I think that .270 would be just fine loaded with a good bullet. I’ve got a buddy that killed one last year with a 6.5 creed without a problem. If you’ve never seen a black bears rib bones they make a deer look like the hulk. For an animal with teeth and claws the rib cage is anemic.

tdot

WKR
270win with a well placed shot will be plenty. If it's your first bear hunt, spend a little time researching where to shoot them (its further back then most deer hunters naturally aim). I personally shoot copper bullets, but anything that is stout enough to exit should be good enough. Bear's have a very strong will to live, it's always impressive to see.

Honyock

WKR
Put a 150 gr Nosler Partition about three to four inches forward from the middle of the middle and it will do the job out of a 270.

EdP

WKR
Black bears in the contiguous U.S. west are not all that big. Your .270 will be just fine. Any cartridge/bullet combo good for mulies or big whitetails will be just fine.

I drew a September rifle bear tag in the unit my dad has an archery bull elk tag (Colorado). I’m planning to call for and help him the whole week we’re there, but I’ll keep a rifle on my pack in case we spot or run across a bear.

I have a .270 Win that is nice and light and a 7mm Rem Mag that’s nearly 2lbs heavier. Since I’ll have the gun on my back 90% of the time, I’m leaning towards the .270 with a good bullet. I’m limiting my shooting to 300 yards. Is this the right way of thinking or should I suck it up for the bigger, faster round?
We shoot them with 243’s and 6mm CMs at 600+ yards. Black bears aren’t tough animals. Think big coyote instead of small brown bear.

OP
gobears870

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
Well that settles it. Ordered up some new rounds to start testing this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk