Case or no case on spotter

Smtn10pt

FNG
Hello all, just jumped into the deep end and picked up an ATS 65mm spotter for an upcoming hunt. Wondering what those with more experience prefer, case or no case. The swaro is "armored" but i am wondering if it needs the added protection of a case. I am considering one of the neoprene cases, not the swarovski stay on case. Any input will be appreciated.

BluMtn

WKR
I case mine, if nothing more than to keep it looking nice. it adds a little protection for the spotter and if you drop it odds are it is not going to damage the scope. And if it gets beat up you just replace the cover.

I do not use a cover on my Swaro ATM 65mm scope and it looks OK after 8 seasons and a lot of back pack time.

I had a King's Camo neoprene cover but found it added a lot of bulk in pack, the end caps caught more wind when glassing, added weight, etc. I sold it after only using the cover a time or two. Good luck with your choice, but I like mine naked.

WyoElk

WKR
I started without a case and just bought a SOC for mine. There’s just too much opportunity while bouncing around in the truck for it to get roughed up. I spent too much to not take care of it.

jkingrph

FNG
I have a case on my Kowa TSN82 sv. In addition to protection it somewhat hides the fact that it is a scope.

jkingrph

FNG
I'll concede the bulk, and it is a hassel to unzip objective end cover and then to unzip, fold back and clip eyepiece cover out of the way, and getting to focus is not as easy as with a naked scope, but I choose to deal with all that for the protection, To each his own!

Trr15

WKR
I would like to try running a cover on my ATX 65 but I'm not willing to spend $300 for the one from Swaro and I can't find a suitable alternative anywhere.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
I’m pro case, optics are expensive and while it may not be 100% protection it is better then nothing.

Ronb

WKR
4450952af2ce59160787533b21f7a7f3.jpg

I had the same setup with my swaro. Cut all the crap off the Vortex neoprene cover so I can use the factory eyecups with the Kowa. Shaved a couple ounces and stays on. I have the eyecups tethered so not to lose them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhm2023

WKR
I personally can't justify the price swaro wants for the SOC. My ats rides on the outside and inside of my pack depending on space available and it still looks perfectly fine. I should add I'm pretty easy on my gear and I don't just toss my pack around in the rocks and what not. Perhaps one day I say the hell with it and buy one, but my spotter will be headed to the sheep mountains naked again this year.

mcseal2

WKR
I have the Kowa case like is pictured above on my 55mm spotter. It adds a little weight and bulk, but it keeps the scope clean and offers some protection. I figure I will upgrade optics at some point in the next 5-10 years as technology improves and my old one will be worth more if it's well cared for.

OP
Smtn10pt

Smtn10pt

FNG
Definitely not a consensus but seems the majority leans towards a cover. Thanks to all who responded!