Case "ringed" after sizing?

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Am a 100% reloading novice so please take it easy on me if this is a newbie question. I was running some cases through the FL sizing die and noticed that for some reason a "ring" appeared on the case. I fiddled with the die some but didn't seem to matter. Am I making some kind of rookie mistake/have something set up improperly that's an easy fix? Not sure if it matters but is a Lee FL sizing die in 300WSM.

Attachments

• ammo pic.jpg
    ammo pic.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 68

packer58

WKR
Thoroughly clean the inside of the die with brake cleaner, if it is still leaving that ring i would suspect a tooling mark inside the die is the culprit. I recently had an issue with a brand new 222 rem F/L die ( Hornady) that had a tooling mark in it and Hornady replaced the die. FWIW, that's the only set of Hornady die's i own and have never had that issue with any of my RCBS or Redding dies.

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Wasn't super excited about the Lee die, but the fella at the place I bought it thought they were good. Or... maybe that's just the only one he had in a 300 WSM? I'll grab some brake cleaner and give it a shot. thanks

Bater

WKR
I'll echo the advice of thoroughly cleaning the die, but it appears to be a tooling mark. If the mark is that prominent I'll bet you can see it with your bare eye. If not a bore scope would easily confirm it.

You don’t have a trimmer that indexed off the shoulder do you. Looks like some of my brass that spins in my Frankfort Arsenal trimmer

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Well... there appears to be a some kind of mark inside the die. I can't fit my fat finger in it to see if it's bad enough to feel. May take a piece of the marked up brass and the die back to the place I bought it to see what they say.