Casio G-Shock GWG1000 'Mudmaster'?

Dobermann

WKR
Has anyone used the Casio G-Shock GWG1000 'Mudmaster'?

Note that this is the 'GWG' model, not the 'GG'. It has a sapphire crystal, not mineral glass.

Retail is about US$600, rather than the $200 or so for the GG: Amazon.com: Casio Men's GWG1000-1A3 G-Shock Analog Digital Tough Solar Green Watch: Casio - G-Shock: Watches

Different models in the series are shown here: MODEL SEARCH - PRODUCTS - G-SHOCK - CASIO

I'm hoping people who've actually used this watch can chime in here - rather than, for example, this turning into a 'you don't need an expensive watch' thread, or a 'my xxx is better' ... we currently have other general watch threads going! ;)

I don't own one but really wanted one and went and looked at a couple. It's a VERY large watch, so if your a smaller guy it may look like your wearing a dinner plate on your wrist.

Its beefy as hell, and in my opinion looks great, and you'd never need to buy another as there's no way it will ever break. I like a lot of the features but couldn't stomach the 600 for it and I'm a bigger guy (6'3" 250) but the size was not indicative of a daily wearer for me. I would wear it outside but it would bang into so much shit if I wore it all the time. The size really cannot be understated and I suggest you go take a look at it before you drop coin on it, and it's not so much the size of the face but the height it sits off the wrist. It's easily the biggest watch I've ever tried on, or seen for that matter besides those fake massive jeweled watches.

I may pick one up in a couple years when the price comes down around 400 though, but tuff to drop that kinda money on something I won't wear all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
i never even knew that existed..that is amazing..a $6bill G-shock..you're four bills from actual G-shock..:)

i want one..now. thanks.

OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
tipsntails - thanks for the ... err .. tip! I'm not a beefy guy, so may check to see if a local store has one to try on ... thanks for the heads up!

Poltax

Lil-Rokslider
I have a GWG1000 'Mudmaster. Have had it for about a year. It is a bit larger then what I thought it was going to be. Other then that I love all the features of this watch. In fact you can shower, swim or be in a rainstorm with this watch and you do not have to worry. For as large as it is, this watch is very light weight. For time keeping it has never lost a minute. It syncs up automatically with the time keeping from Denver CO. It even adjusts for Day Light Savings Time by the sync up. All the features are pretty accurate. The elevation is off a bit on my watch. I have tested it with the elevation Mtn pass signs and also in my buddy's plane altimeter. Compass works really well, you just need to make sure that there is not any metal nearby. Take the watch off for Compass info.

If the watch came with a cloth band that would also be cool. I paid for mine with American Express points I had stashed up. I have a good friend that bought one also. His works just as good as mine with no problems. He is a Marine and served in Force Recon. I asked him if he had been able to use this watch in Force if he would have picked it. He stated it would have been his choice if they had been made it back in the 80's

I am a smaller guy with small wrists. It is a bit large, but I actually really like it. Due to age my eyes are not like they used to be and having the big hands is really nice. Night time viewing really works well for almost all the night. The best thing is you never have to change or worry about batteries with the solar power recharging.

boom

WKR
i like it alot. at first i thought it was bit busy..but i still like it.

kills me it is double $ my current old ass pathfinder.

do you think the hands will block that digital display much?

They move out of the way when you access the data. I believe you can also set one of the buttons to move them as well.
Say you want to access the altimeter, when you push that button the hands swing out of the way for like 5 seconds.

If you don't that fat hour hand can block it pretty well between 5 and 7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
Yes, but that's the GG model, not the GWG. (The GG is about $320 RRP, and sells for around $200 new; the GWG's RRP is about $750.)

boom

WKR
thanks Dobie.

i'll wait for your review before i risk alert level orange from the wife.

OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
Well ... it finally arrived. Went with a Japanese import, so I knew there was no chance it was a knock-off. Something nice also about having the watch case stamped 'Japan' rather than 'Thailand'.

Like Poltax above, my wrists aren't huge, and while this is a big watch, I don't think it's ungainly at all. Unlike some reviewers have feared, I don't have any concerns about banging into stuff with it on.

The hand movement is super-slick, and the buttons and 'smart crown' are easy to use. The number of features is just right for me. Most of the ABC features are really just back-ups to other gear. So far, the baro and compass have shown to be accurate. Haven't had a chance to test the alti yet, but if I was somewhere where this was critical, I'd have another tool with me as a primary.

I'm admittedly not a 'watch guy' ... have just had the one Citizen Eco-Drive 'Tough' for the last 16 years or so ... that thing has slid down mountains with me, swam in icy canyons, bodysurfed in big swells, and even taken my bodyweight - plus a motorbike - on top for a nasty low-slide down a road, with no damage to the sapphire face, and minimal to the titanium body.

So while I'm not a watch guy, I knew I needed something that could handle the same kind of high-jinks. I'm keeping the Citizen for the day job, and the GWG Mudmaster for the outdoors; I'm sure it will perform just as well. Heck, I like it so much so far that if I had an unexpected windfall tomorrow, I think I'd buy another one or two, just in case I ever somehow lose this one.

While it's probably overkill for what many of us do, if you're like me and gain peace of mind knowing certain gear is bombproof, I think this is a good option.

boom

WKR
thanks Dobe.

my old crusty pathfinder has led the same life as your citizen.