Casper, Wy- hunting/prairie dog shooting, fishing sought

jeffpg

WKR
Hey fellas,

I am currently in Casper, Wyoming working. I will have the next 3 weekends off, before going full bore 7-13's on a refinery turnaround project.

I'd like to get into some type of hunting or prairie dog shooting, but I don't know where to get started. I know there are some leftover antelope tags in the predominately private land units in the NE corner of the state, but I haven't been able to find accessible hunting ground for that yet.

I have both flyfishing and spinning gear with me, and I hear the Miracle Mile is great, but I am thinking that there are likely better experiences to be had off the beaten path.

What say ye guys?
I appreciate any and all input!

Jeff

used to shoot pd's in the thunder basin,,back in the day it was great and speed goats too..been ten plus years since have been there..Newcastle was my base camp and one time Wright.Newcastle was neat,,had their own herd of mule deer roaming the streets

wytx

WKR
Shirley Basin for pd, try not to mess up someones pronghorn hunt, although rifle season opens later.
Lakes in and around the basin have decent fishing. Platte River is awesome fishing as well, large trout. Smaller streams will have smaller trout.

wytx

WKR
If you can get access to a boat Glendo has a wide variety of fish.
Check out the walk in fishing areas on the G&F website.

OP
jeffpg

jeffpg

WKR
Thanks guys, I have found a couple of spots for decent prairie dog shooting, although nothing spectacular yet.

I fished the Miracle Mile a bit last weekend, and I am headed there this morning to fish and camp all weekend. I really hope to hook up with one or two of those big trout!
I intend to check out the Shirley Basin for prairie dogs as well.

ask ranchers about PD's - True that "times have changed" but PD's are a pest and not so long ago some ranchers would pay for .22 ammo - East of Sheridan we used to shoot for a week at a time but you had to stay at a motel or ?, they really don't want anyone "camping" on most places and I can't say I blame them
If you're serious about PD's join the Varmint Hunters Association based in South Dakota, a wealth of information about "EVERYTHING VARMINTS" and a good "club" to belong to

wytx

WKR
Shirley Basin usually hosts some long range PD shooters from various magazines if that tells you anything about numbers in the area. Take the highway 77 side and watch out for cattle on the road. Lots of pd in the basin, they released black footed ferrets there because of the population.
The lake in the basin holds some good fish on occasion.