Catching Big Trout

As I enter my 40's I have been pondering trying to target bigger trout. Its something the whole family can enjoy. I have been fishing for 30 plus years, mostly rivers, and have caught maybe a handful of nice trout. Now I can fish a river/stream and catch 30-40 fish in a few hours. I know how to read water and make good cast but truly big fish have eluded me. Now I know the 1st thing is to fish waters that carry big fish which I do, 2nd spend lots of time on the water which I dont do. I probably fish a total of 5-10 days a year. Most of the time I would rather be hunting. But for some reason I can big trout on my mind, so I had a few questions.
1. if fishing from a river what tackle are you using to target big fish (5-10 pound browns/rainbows)
2. Fishing from the shore what tackle are you using
3. From a boat what tackle.

I have spots that have produced 5-20 pound browns but from me I have never been able to figure out how to tackle these fish. I mostly spend my time behind small lures on rivers (mepps, blue fox, panther martins) and catch a ton fish.

Thanks for the advice....

WCB

WKR
I fly fish so a bit different...but for Browns time of year is key IMO...I started fishing specifically in the fall and with big ugly flies for big browns. Also, depending on the river system and how well you know it...fishing at night or at least till after dark has helped me land bigger browns.

Go bigger with your lures...either jerk/crankbaits and no reason you couldn't throw weighted streamers with spinning gear.

I would definitely throw a bigger Rapala. Rainbow color or brown. I’ve caught my biggest fish on those. I love fly fishing but I have no idea what I’m doing lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M
When fishing at night do you favor a full moon to see better or dark moon to cover your movement. I know the river and lake systems I fish so I am not to worried about fishing at night. My son and I were just talking about pulling an all-nighter the next time we fish.

We can’t fish with chubs here but have heard they are great.

Do you suggest floating or sinking rapalas?

Thanks

Have you considered swallowing your pride and hiring a guide? I’m not trying to be a jerk, this is something I’ve struggled with myself.

Spend $300 on a day fishing for big fish with a local guide and pay very close attention to locations, techniques, baits, etc

AFenny11

FNG
Fishing at night can be awesome! Lots of trophy caliber fish stay inactive during the day and feed at night.

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
Fish early morning or late in the evening into dark. Big browns will go to cover and slower moving water during the day and become less active. Big browns are solitary and territorial so if you're fishing a river get a good vantage point and watch for them. Some guys who are big into chasing browns will spend the day scouting for them and come back later in the evening for them.

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
When fishing at night do you favor a full moon to see better or dark moon to cover your movement. I know the river and lake systems I fish so I am not to worried about fishing at night. My son and I were just talking about pulling an all-nighter the next time we fish.

We can’t fish with chubs here but have heard they are great.

Do you suggest floating or sinking rapalas?

Thanks

I Like dark nights, the less moon the better. Just make sure you fish an area you a re familiar. Keep the headlamps and other lights to a minimum.

Mt Al

WKR
Fish early morning or late in the evening into dark. Big browns will go to cover and slower moving water during the day and become less active. Big browns are solitary and territorial so if you're fishing a river get a good vantage point and watch for them. Some guys who are big into chasing browns will spend the day scouting for them and come back later in the evening for them.

I have a great friend who's got the big brown disease bad, what you wrote above is what he lives/does. He'll float and scout with zero plans of catching fish, looking for deep holes/hideouts.

Then he comes back with a light Spey rod (he's nuts) and hucks huge wieghted/jointed streamers. He's a purist, won't go Rapala, must have feathers or fur. As addicts often do, he tries to get others hooked to share costs. When we're floating he's like "Dude! You just have to switch your mined from fishing to hunting, that getting one big brown, Dude, is better than a bunch of average fish. Dude...the feeling, the hunt....yeah....that's what it's all about....". I haven't taken the dime bag yet, just happy to be out. It does look like a very worthy quest, best of luck.

Depending on what rivers you're fishing, target just below the dam. Tailwaters are excellent places to find the biggest of the big browns. Target the tailwaters and do it at night with big lures or flies. I'll also second the notion of fishing for them in the fall.

Lucky craft Pointers and white tube jigs. A friend and I consistently catch 20"-30" fish on water most fly fishermen never break 16" on.
For those of you fishing at night, what part of the country are you in? We've given the night fishing thing a pretty valiant effort but I've never been impressed. The two fish we've caught that broke thirty were both caught around 10:30 in the morning.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

DavePwns

WKR
Lucky craft Pointers and white tube jigs. A friend and I consistently catch 20"-30" fish on water most fly fishermen never break 16" on.
For those of you fishing at night, what part of the country are you in? We've given the night fishing thing a pretty valiant effort but I've never been impressed. The two fish we've caught that broke thirty were both caught around 10:30 in the morning.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
What weight does your tube jig head typically have? I usually have a hard time getting to the bottom due to the current. Also I have had awesome luck with the lucky craft pointers for spotted bass, however I use it as a jerkbait, twitch twitch let it sit ect. Is that how you use them for browns?