Cattle and Elk

Bubba94

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from a scouting trip where I hiked in 4 miles only to find small groups of cattle spread throughout the area, even up at higher elevations (for the region). Does anyone here have some knowledge of cattle and their effect on elk habits/habitat? I found some older rubs and whatnot, but no fresh sign in the entire area I scouted. I know that sheep tend to push wildlife out of an area, but is it the same for cattle? I am not sure whether I should scrap that area or go back later and check it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9Line

FNG
I’ve never had an issue with cattle and elk, now sheep will drive elk out of the area, but not cattle. Not in my experience anyway.

PassCreek

FNG
Elk like the fresh growth from the grass that cows have previously eaten. I've seen cattle ranches where there would be plenty of Elk on them and the neighboring property without cows and lots of tall grass wouldn't have any Elk.

GregB

WKR
This weekend I watched a bunch of cows and calves feed right by a small group of cattle. Didn't seem to be an issue for them.

OP
Bubba94

Bubba94

Lil-Rokslider
It sounds like I was simply in the wrong area. Thanks for the replies.

OP
Bubba94

Bubba94

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe the wrong area now but if you found old rubs it could be the right area in sepmtember and October

That’s what I am hoping. I have heard good things from a couple of neighbors, but they hunted general rifle.

87TT

WKR
I was making a stalk through a clear cut on two young bulls a couple of years ago. There wasn't much cover and daylight was about gone. There were two bulls grazing on one side of the cut and a bunch of cattle on the other side. I was in between. At about 90 yards or so, the closest bull busted me. He came to full alert as I tried to make myself small behind a stump. After a bit I had nothing to lose so I gave my best cattle call. Mooooooo moooooo! The bull looked for a bit then relaxed and went back to grazing. I was able to move up to a small bunch of saplings and make the shot at 60. I guess the point is , the elk are used to cows.

PGWest

Lil-Rokslider
Better start working on my “cow” calls for the fall, this is a great story

Just got back from a scouting trip where I hiked in 4 miles only to find small groups of cattle spread throughout the area, even up at higher elevations (for the region). Does anyone here have some knowledge of cattle and their effect on elk habits/habitat? I found some older rubs and whatnot, but no fresh sign in the entire area I scouted. I know that sheep tend to push wildlife out of an area, but is it the same for cattle? I am not sure whether I should scrap that area or go back later and check it again.

I’ve often found them feeding in the same hay fields. That being said we found some at higher elevation one afternoon while glassing and they spooked the elk out of a small drainage.

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
I was in front of 13 elk last year within 60 yards. I had a late season bull tag otherwise I would have had elk meat. Anyway, the bull busted through the brush about 75 yards away and 3 seconds later I hear this thump thump thump and all the elk scattered. The thump thump thump was 3 cows that seemed to follow the herd the entire hunt (It sounded as if their hoofs were hitting rocks and spooked the elk). The cow didn't seem to care when they went strolling by me.

OP
Bubba94

Bubba94

Lil-Rokslider
I was making a stalk through a clear cut on two young bulls a couple of years ago. There wasn't much cover and daylight was about gone. There were two bulls grazing on one side of the cut and a bunch of cattle on the other side. I was in between. At about 90 yards or so, the closest bull busted me. He came to full alert as I tried to make myself small behind a stump. After a bit I had nothing to lose so I gave my best cattle call. Mooooooo moooooo! The bull looked for a bit then relaxed and went back to grazing. I was able to move up to a small bunch of saplings and make the shot at 60. I guess the point is , the elk are used to cows.

That is hilarious! Good thinking on the fly.

Where I live/hunt, the elk don’t want anything to do with cattle or sheep and will push fairly deep to avoid them. It’s one of the reason I am no longer hunting in September here.

WKR
Where I live/hunt, the elk don’t want anything to do with cattle or sheep and will push fairly deep to avoid them. It’s one of the reason I am no longer hunting in September here.

This has been my experience as well. Cattle and elk DO NOT mix based on what I've seen in the field. I'm really surprised to see such varied responses in this thread.

I'm even more confused now...

hobbes

WKR
I'd prefer to not be in cattle, but I've not found that they affect them near as much as sheep do. I dealt with both in Colorado, but I only run into cattle where I hunt in Montana. I never knew if it was really the sheep themselves or the company that comes with them, dogs and sheep herders.

I have noticed that one place that I hunt has cattle in it every other year. It seems like I'm more likely to find elk activity there when the cattle are not in there. The area that I probably hunt the most has cattle in it every year, some years more than others, and the elk never seem to mind. However, the more cattle there are the more the feed seems beat to hell. That can't help.

I think you'll need to check the area toward the end of August, maybe even mid September, to have any idea if it's a problem.

wytx

WKR
At some point the hand will have to round up those cattle, that may affect your hunting more than the cows.
We make it a point to stop and talk with the guy rounding them up.
Elk avoid people more than cattle.

Jbehredt

WKR
At some point the hand will have to round up those cattle, that may affect your hunting more than the cows.
We make it a point to stop and talk with the guy rounding them up.
Elk avoid people more than cattle.

Twice in my life I’ve been in elk to hear the closing whooping and hollering of some mounted cowboys pushing cattle down the hill. Can’t help but sit down and laugh. Going forward I’ll try to chat them up..... could know where a new herd of elk is to replace the one they pushed off!