CBD Question

Living in California, I ironically have very little understanding of how it works. I feel like everyone I talk to is overly religious about it and swear that it cures everything from cancer to relationship problems. The hipster crew has taken it to a whole new level, which has made me skeptical. Ive never been much of a pothead and Ive honestly just stayed away from it.

That being said, I recently started working two jobs (which is awesome just tremendously stressful at times) and I had an eye issue arise simply from stress. The eye doctor said he had a pretty heavy duty prescription he could write me which would fix the problem in my eye in about a week, or "off the record" he said that CBD would likely have the same effect (with no side effects whereas the prescription had many significant side effects) and would likely have the eye condition gone in the same amount of time. He said he couldnt "officially prescribe" the cbd but it is something I should think about. He is the best ophthalmologist in the area and has done surgeries on friends of ours. I trust him very much. So the point of all this is...do any of you have any experience with CBD? In looking in to it there seems to be a ton of options. Being that Im not a stoner, there's part of it that makes me a little apprehensive. There seems to be different dosage amounts and bottle sizes. I have no idea where to start. I do listen to the Cleared Hot podcast and Andy Stumpf has an advertisement at the beginning for Feals CBD. Does anyone recommend them? There are some "local" people that make their own and sell at the Farmer's Market but I am afraid if I buy from them I may end up licking the walls and playing at length with the neighbors cat...both of which I would rather not do. The application would be for at night before I go to bed.

Thank you all in advance for any help and insight you can provide me.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I have friends in the industry both Growing and manufacturing. One buddy that sold his BIG nutrition company a few years ago started a company that I trust because he has scientists on staff that test potency and concentration. Worth noting, The strains themselves with CBD vary wildly on their potency and then there is the extraction process.

In General, the problem with any of these type products; what works for you might not work for someone else. An example is the over the counter pain meds.....some work better for me than others. Advil over Tylenol anyday for me.

There are 2 big issues with CBD products;

1) Its a supplement. So it doesn't get the scrutiny of the FDA. The quality, concentration and potency are all over the map. You might not be getting any relief due to very little actual CBD in the product.

2) Many folks taking CBD are getting it from different sources; a drink plus a supplement ...how much are you really taking? Dangerous levels or not enough? There really is no guidelines as of yet on how much to take?

I too have heard the miracle cure stories...and the good news is it doesn't seem to have harmful side effects. If I was taking it internally, I would make sure its from an legit outfit. A topical isn't going to kill you...so I wouldn't be as concerned.

My guess is you will get anecdotal examples all over the map,

Hope that helps

______

Last edited:

Moserkr

WKR
Being in CA I know many people that use either cbd as medicine or the devil’s lettuce recreationally. If your doctor is saying the prescription has bad side effects, stay away from it. Give CBD a chance, but make sure it has 0% THC. THC is what gets you high, shows up on drug tests, and is the compound the “stoners” like. CBD is the compound in marijuana that does not get you high, and does have known medical uses. Specifically for seizures with children, among other ailments. Mainly pain, lack of sleep, glaucoma, etc. It may or may not work for you. Its not a cure all, and I see it as something that masks symptoms or suppresses them, and does not cure them. I have literally witnessed a man with MS smoke marijuana and his shaking/stuttering instantly ceases. He became normal and that alone shaped my entire view on it. That and pharmaceuticals seem to have worse side effects than what they actually cure. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, only you can decide whats best. But theres no side effects and nothing to lose from trying CBD. Just source it from somewhere or someone where its tested and regulated (legal market), not off the streets.

2blade

WKR
If it helps, Elixinol is a legitimate company. Will ship right to your door. No I don't work for em but have researched them as a stock play. Charlottes Web is another one that more than likely puts out good product.

FLAK

WKR
As a Fed. employee we were just recently notified that we could be terminated if ANY amount of THC shows up in a blood test. Even the <.3% CBD oil would register even
thought it is considered legal.

Azone

WKR
I've used CBD creams on my ankles and it's worked pretty well for knocking the pain out temporarily when they are hurting. Old football injuries and a few questionable decisions involving a quad in my younger days are the culprit. My wife has been using some for her anxiety and seems to like it, shes a lightweight to begin with and is not to fond of pills. I've also used her stuff for when I have headaches and it works ok. As mentioned THC is what gets you loaded, CBD will not. So the walls and the neighborhood cats should be safe. As far as CBD showing up in testing, I have no knowledge on that but I do know it wont get you high. If your job is super drug sensitive and always testing I would definitely try to talk to HR about it before hand. If you take something and get ripped on it, it definitely had THC in it.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I take ropinirole for RLS and it has some nasty hangover brain dulling side effects. My cousin who lives in CA looked for alternatives and takes a combo drink of 5 mg CBD/5 mg THC. He says it works for him and there are no side effects. I live in NJ and if I was prescribed this RX I could have my firearms confiscated. Looking forward to moving to SC very soon.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
I’ve got no issue with medically driven solutions. But having watched how the medicinal/CDB side of things leveraged legal pot in Washington...frankly it’s all nauseating. I’ve never see so many snake oil claims as those with CBD...from split ends, toe fungus, arthritis, ADD, back pain, etc., ...that alone makes me suspicious of the whole thing....

OXN939

WKR
Living in California, I ironically have very little understanding of how it works. I feel like everyone I talk to is overly religious about it and swear that it cures everything from cancer to relationship problems. The hipster crew has taken it to a whole new level, which has made me skeptical. Ive never been much of a pothead and Ive honestly just stayed away from it.

That being said, I recently started working two jobs (which is awesome just tremendously stressful at times) and I had an eye issue arise simply from stress. The eye doctor said he had a pretty heavy duty prescription he could write me which would fix the problem in my eye in about a week, or "off the record" he said that CBD would likely have the same effect (with no side effects whereas the prescription had many significant side effects) and would likely have the eye condition gone in the same amount of time. He said he couldnt "officially prescribe" the cbd but it is something I should think about. He is the best ophthalmologist in the area and has done surgeries on friends of ours. I trust him very much. So the point of all this is...do any of you have any experience with CBD? In looking in to it there seems to be a ton of options. Being that Im not a stoner, there's part of it that makes me a little apprehensive. There seems to be different dosage amounts and bottle sizes. I have no idea where to start. I do listen to the Cleared Hot podcast and Andy Stumpf has an advertisement at the beginning for Feals CBD. Does anyone recommend them? There are some "local" people that make their own and sell at the Farmer's Market but I am afraid if I buy from them I may end up licking the walls and playing at length with the neighbors cat...both of which I would rather not do. The application would be for at night before I go to bed.

Thank you all in advance for any help and insight you can provide me.

Sounds like it'd definitely be worth trying in your case. Think of it just like any other medication. Know how some people can drink coffee and go straight to sleep while others will be up all night if they have a cup after 2:00 p.m.? Same kind of individual variation applies here. The effects are similar to Tylenol- reduction of inflammation, pain relief, and acts as a sleep aid. How much of each of these effects you perceive varies person to person... just like any pill you take.

As long as you get it from a reputable source, it's really about as dangerous as Olive Oil and has zero psychoactive effect. I'm former military and know a few guys with clinical insomnia who have used it to replace some pretty nasty benzodiazepine sleep aids they were prescribed, and say it does even a better job of helping them get good rest.

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
I would listen to your opthalmologist and try it.

I have an uncle who's had back problems for years (former truck driver) and he's tried many things to relieve his discomfort. Recently he decided to try CBD and its been the best thing for his back that he's tried. I know your eye issue is much different but your opthalmologist would know what works and what doesn't. If you're not sure where to get it and what dose, I'd ask your opthalmologist.

Glass

FNG
I have been a CBD user for chronic back for about 4 years now. I have found that the best bang for your buck is Lazarus natural, out of Oregon. They also provide a 60% discount to vets, and the disabled. They have independent tests done and available on all products.

If you have the potential for random drug tests you should go with an isolate oil, if you are not worried about drug test then go with a full spectrum. Full Spectrum has a small amount of THC, roughly equal to drinking a NA beer. Not enough to affect you but enough to potentially show up on a test. The benefit of the full spectrum is the CBD/THC act together for added benefits, specifically for pain. In your case I am not sure which would be the best. They suggest you start slow, a drop under the tongue twice daily and then after 5 or so days go up to 2 drops twice daily, continue this until you find your "dose" that you find beneficial to you.

As far as dosage per bottle, that gets confusing! The bottles contain liquid and are labeled as ounces, or ml, while the amount of CBD is labeled in mg. I get a 2 oz bottle with 3,0000 mg of CBD. I take about 20 MG of CBD daily. Some people need a lot less, while others need a lot more. The reason a person doesnt start out taking 20 mg or 100 mg per day is it becomes "wasted". With our systems not use to receiving the CBD, we need to build up the interaction rather then overwhelm it. So dont just start out pounding the stuff, its a process.

For me CBD has been an amazing tool to fight chronic back pain, I have heard of others that it has worked for as well, but others find it to have no affect. One side affect I hear people talking about is sleepiness, I have not experienced this myself but my father did.

With all that if you have any further questions please feel free to ask. When I started using CBD I was worried about it all too. I am a biologist so I dove into all the interaction and side affects before making the decision to try it. Man was it the right decision to give it a go. Good luck!

Have any of you guys tried it and passed a drug test? I’m curious my dad fell out of a tree quite a few years ago broke his back and pelvis. He’s doing good but some nerve damage gives him fits some days he was talking about Cbd didn’t want to test positive just to try it and I know nothing about to stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace531

FNG
I know several people that swear by the stuff (never used it myself). My girlfriend owns a drug testing facility and she says since CBD is classified as a supplement it is not regulated by the FDA (as stated above), therefore you're kind of going on blind faith of the manufacturer's claims on the THC content. That being said, it is possible that THC can sometimes show as being present in a drug test if you use CBD, and since THC is fat soluble, it can be in your system for up to 30 days or more (but starting with trace amounts to begin with, it likely wouldn't for that length of time). So depending on your employment, it's something to take into consideration.

brsnow

WKR
It works great for me, sleep, pain, and recovery. I use from a source that supplies professional athletes , so drug tests are not a concern.

RCB

WKR
Anything touted as a miracle drug usually turns out to be snake oil. There seems to be a bit of evidence for CBD helping with pain relief, stress relief, better sleep, etc. But my impression is that the science is far from settled, and most of the marketing claims are far from supported. That being said, if it's not expensive to buy it, why not try it? No serious side effects as far as I know.

Rich M

WKR
Yup - make sure your employer allows for it. Any positive drug test will lose you your job.

You can get a Dr. prescription for medical M easy enough - go that route.

My mom has always been pretty skeptical of the whole idea of "medicinal" marijuana and assumed it was just an excuse to sleep in and listen to Bob Dylan records...she's suffered from pretty bad arthritis for years though and about two years ago she was desperate enough to try anything. She started taking sublingual CBD drops (a fairly low dose) and has since weened herself off about 5 other pretty heavy duty prescription drugs. It hasn't "cured" her arthritis but it's controlled the inflammation equally if not better than the prescription drugs without all the side effects...she mentioned as an added bonus she's getting a full nights sleep for the first time in a long while, I remember when I was younger she would get up around midnight every night to make a bowl of cereal so sleeping the whole night through is big for her.