CDS dial? Scope setup for 2 different loads

Wages333

FNG
Short version:

I’ve read the opinions about CDS being a gimmick, etc. and I don’t really disagree but thought this might actually be a good use of them.

I’m not interested in dialing for distance, just curious about using the CDS for load changes.

I’d like to be able to switch between a 100 yard zero with 150 gr load, and a 300 yard zero, with180 grain.

Long version:
I’m planning a hunt out west in 2023 and probably again in 2024, and want to set up a 30-06 I already own, to be used in 2 situations.

The rifle has a Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10X40 on it, and I’m curious about using the CDS to switch between the 2 situations/loads.

I’m not interested in buying a new rifle, or new scope… I can come up with my own solutions there.

And I’m not really interested in extended range ( +400 yards) shooting, either. Nothing wrong with it, it’s not a fit for me.

I’m just looking for some thoughts on the CDS for getting these two loads to zero easily, or other advice on how I might best set this up to switch rounds as accurately/effortlessly as possible.

Longer version:
I don’t hunt deer with a rifle any more ( I accidentally became an archery snob somewhere along the line 😝)

Once a year my brother uses this rifle for deer in the Midwest. He’s a meat hunter, who shoots less than 100 yards and I would like to be able to set this rifle back to 100 yard zero with 150 grain loads, so that he doesn’t need to think about adjusting his shot or ruining too much meat with a larger load, etc. ( I’ve seen 180s make a mess of smaller whitetail does etc )

I grew up hunting and shooting. I’ve set up a lot of rifle and scopes over the last few decades… but always just “set it and forget it” for a single load and/or type of shooting.

tak

WKR
Even more reason to just use minutes or mils, IMO.
Also, trying to keep two different loads straight will drive you batty. It's fine to have different loads for different hunts, but I would re-zero and I'm a fan of a 100 yard zero.

OP
W

Wages333

FNG
I’m confident the 180s will kill just fine with a 100 yard zero, but I think I would feel more comfortable with a 300 yard zero, for cases where a shot of 350 yards arises.

So that rather than -19.5” drop to compensate for, it is just -4.5”

bmart2622

WKR
Use a 200yd zero and a rangefinder finder that uses ballistic software then you can just use the factory turret

I think I understand what you’re wanting, but how are you gonna keep up with the windage difference. Personally, I’d ditch the cds thought and just sight the gun to whatever ammo you’re using how you want it

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04