Cecil fallout ... How do we prevent more negative impact?

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
First of all let me say that I'm not looking for peoples opinions on the good/bad doc, the legality of the hunt or what your take on "trophy" hunting is. Instead I'm looking for reasonable answers that we, as hunters, can do to help prevent or properly combat some of the fallout from this debacle.

The fallout I'm referring to centers around both legislative action and private company responses. We already know that a bill to prevent the import of some animals has been introduced by the, previously indicted on corruption charges, Senator Bob Menendez. As we know once a law is in place it never goes away and typically only encourages further and more intrusive action. Where does this one end if it passes?

We also already know that Delta, United and American Airlines have banned flying with parts of certain animals on their planes. Where does this end? Can it be turned around and if so how?

I also get email notifications of petitions filed on change.org that center around animal rights activities, which is a good way to keep an eye on the enemy, and in the last week several new petitions targeting UPS and FedEX have originated. While the airline bans may not cause much pain for big game hunters, especially those coming from Africa, it could be a serious problem with waterfowl collectors. If FedEx and UPS follow suit, both have released official statements saying they are considering it based on public opinion, there will be serious implications for most all hunters who use out of state taxidermist or who ship back meat, skins/capes and/or antlers from various hunts.

Given the current climate surrounding hunting and what seems like years of somewhat positive opinion wiped out in mere moments by the social media lynchmob what can we do? Who do we contact? Do we start out own petitions?

Here are some of my thoughts...admittedly most are very obvious.

* Contact your local, state and federal level legislatures via email, written letter and phone to let them know that you are a hunter, that you do not support legislation against hunting, that you pay attention to current events and most importantly that you vote. In future elections vote for candidates that support hunting, fishing and outdoor pursuits.

* Contact the leaders of your local chapter of conservation organizations (Ducks Unlimited, RMEF, NWTF, Pheasants Forever, etc) and urge them to organize local events NOW to help mobilize their members. Perhaps even create town hall style events with their members in order to encourage participation and share ideas. If you are associated with any of these organizations then initiate communications and events NOW. I'm not referring to contribution banquets or the like but a call to arms for all members, young, old, current and former, spouses, etc to help educate them so they can provide a positive message into their communities.

* Contact National level clubs (Dallas Safari Club, Boone and Crockette Club, Safari Club International, etc) and ask them what you can do in your area. Ask them what they are doing to help fight legislative action?

* If your state is currently not one of the 18 states with a Right to Hunt & Fish amendment to their state constitution then start petitioning your legislators NOW. It works and could be what preserves the pursuits we all enjoy for future generations. More INFO.

* Reach out and educate those around you who are being swayed constantly by the lies, half truths and sensationalism that is our main stream media. Show them what hunting is and what it means to you. Do this in a positive and constructive manner. Do your best to separate traditional stereotypes from the actual truth.

* Contact national organizations that may not be hunting specific in their support but are pro hunting (NRA, etc) and ask them to help make a stand.

* Take out an ad in your local newspaper that is pro hunting but respectful. Contact a local sports talk radio program and, in a polite, respectful and professional manner, promote our pursuits.

I've no doubt missed a lot of great ideas on what to do. That is the point of this thread to help unify and build our ranks so that we can, together, ensure our heritage lives well on into the future.

Take a kid hunting.

Feed friends venison.

I find folks are easily outraged at the social media level but fairly reasonable at the individual level.

I'm not a social media guy so have no desire to step into that mud pit to try and convince anyone of anything.

So basically my stratagy is to ignore and carry on!

Social media is a mud pit for sure. Those in arms will always be in arms. The AA's, delta's etc are doing nothing more then a PC scam. Hell aircanada doesn't even have Africa service.

UPS isn't going to change policy. They are a freight company.. What we as non overseas hunters and the non hunters dont realize is those African trophies don't come home with you they arrive at USFW port of entry via boat for freight plane months later.

Chances are that all this was started by a butt hurt antihunter researcher. Think about that for a second... It's basically dead in the media now....

If it does turn out to be a legal hunt.. It should show all f is we need to stick together regardless of demographics, because everything we do will be pushed and lied about in a negative way.

Only thing we as hunters need to do is stick together and show the success of the North Ametican conservation model through out the world.

The success numbers don't lie. They are enlighting to those on the fence

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
I had heard that the cat was not lured out by the PH dragging a carcass through the preserve. I heard in fact there was a dead elephant off the preserve that the lion was heading to. I also heard all charges against the hunter had been dropped. Obviously this is against mainstream media so I have not heard or read alot of anything to back the word of mouth I just mentioned.

OP
bourbon

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
I had heard that the cat was not lured out by the PH dragging a carcass through the preserve. I heard in fact there was a dead elephant off the preserve that the lion was heading to. I also heard all charges against the hunter had been dropped. Obviously this is against mainstream media so I have not heard or read alot of anything to back the word of mouth I just mentioned.

None of that matters now...the damage is done.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
The anti's found a perfect opportunity to jump on a situation that could be painted in a way to make the hunting community look bad, regardless of what the truth is. The damage has been done and the truth is immaterial as the most of the people have made up there mind. As an attorney, I don't have enough information to reach an opinion and I'm not going to find out the truth on social media let alone the popular media. If the hunter knowingly did something wrong or made an irresponsible decision, then there is a reasonable likelihood that we haven't seen the end of this.

That being said, none of us have enough information to pass judgment on the hunter, but we do need to recognize that we could be the next "victim" if we don't pay attention.

Just telling the uninformed that they are idiots will not work. Also, trying to discuss this issue with someone who has made up their mind and is not open to change is a waste and is best to gracefully extract yourself from the person or issue as you will not win.

There are some very simple things you can do. The anti's will always be anti's, and you're not going to change their minds. It's the middle/undecided/don't care folks that will sway the opinion one way or another. So when you go hunting, post pics (the right ones) on Facebook. Show the beautiful places, the getting up early, the camaraderie with your dad, your son or daughter, your friends. Show smiling faces. Show the animals you kill in a respectful manner. And later show the meal that you prepared after it's cooked and awesome looking. Share thanks for the opportunity, for the public lands, for the opportunity to spend time with your family and friends doing something you love. Your middle-ground friends want you to be happy. Also, one thing I always do is bring jerky or summer sausage in to work and share with my colleagues.

bogeyboy555

Lil-Rokslider
Here is some food for thought......

What do you think the perception was of the PGA Tour was BEFORE Tiger Woods showed up in the late 90's? Exclusive, white, male, overweight, entitled, corporate sponsors and pleated slacks..... then people "saw" someone different, they saw Tiger. What do you think the average american thinks about alligator hunters, or crab fisherman, or duck hunting....? Bingo, they associate these activities with the look and persona of the people they see on Duck Dynasty, Swamp People, and Deadliest Catch. People constantly judge the merit of activities by the appeal of the people most known for them.

Writing elected officials, donating $35 to RMEF, taking a kid hunting, and posting on Rokslide is all nice, but does nothing for the general public perception. We have to find a way to encourage/support someone who can showcase the most acceptable forms of hunting, and have it appeal on a large scale to the general public, and make it broadcast-able on major TV networks. And guess what, thats not going to be a dentist trophy hunting in Africa, or a guy nicknamed T-Bone, or some old belt buckle saying "Thanks for your Business" with an 800 number.

Hunting doesn't have a "face", only villains. We need someone to do for hunting what Tiger did for golf..... Someone out of the box we can support. If I had a guess someone who is a young, educated, fit, well-spoken charismatic bowhunter who visits extraordinary captivating places, interacts with the local cultures, and only eats what he kills is probably going to appeal easier than another Bone Collector.

Maybe Donnie Vincent or Mark Seacat would be up for it?

bogeyboy555

Lil-Rokslider
There are some very simple things you can do. The anti's will always be anti's, and you're not going to change their minds. It's the middle/undecided/don't care folks that will sway the opinion one way or another. So when you go hunting, post pics (the right ones) on Facebook. Show the beautiful places, the getting up early, the camaraderie with your dad, your son or daughter, your friends. Show smiling faces. Show the animals you kill in a respectful manner. And later show the meal that you prepared after it's cooked and awesome looking. Share thanks for the opportunity, for the public lands, for the opportunity to spend time with your family and friends doing something you love. Your middle-ground friends want you to be happy. Also, one thing I always do is bring jerky or summer sausage in to work and share with my colleagues.

100% agree.