Celeb Hunters Posting Unit/Location

cnelk

WKR
Although I too have said there aren’t any secret spots, I had to correct myself this past week.

We found an area and every time we went in there we called in elk. Bulls and cows.

There were several other hunters in the area and we just parked the truck, hiked about 400yds, sat our asses down, made a few calls and started seeing elk.

A heavily hunted OTC unit too.

jmez

WKR
I don’t follow. Why would you want an increase in applicants? The more applicants the less chance of drawing a tag. Of course there are the same number of successful applicants. That’s the problem. Demand increases (sometimes artificially due to spot burners) but the supply stays the same.

also, they aren’t necessarily coming from different units. The number of new hunters in the West is exploding. I believe most hunters that have been doing it for a while have their specific areas, most of the new hunters are the ones looking online for a “hot” spot.
So the point creep happens either way.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
Not sure I'd call it artificial?

when someone says “look at this elk I killed in Unit x. It scores 350” and we saw 5 just as big! We were in elk everyday! Best part is it takes zero points to draw!!!!” The next year it takes 7 points. That’s artificial point creep.

jmez

WKR
Give me an example where a unit has went from 0 to anywhere close to 7 because of Youtube.

If one would go from 0-7 you just had a whole shit ton of point holders eliminated from the pool.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Give me an example where a unit has went from 0 to anywhere close to 7 because of Youtube.

If one would go from 0-7 you just had a whole shit ton of point holders eliminated from the pool.

I was giving you an example of what artificial point creep looks like vs normal creep. Didn’t realize I had to explain that was an example. 😂 🤦🏻‍♂️

jmez

WKR
It's called hyperbole and generally used by those just making shit up.

sndmn11

WKR
I don’t follow. Why would you want an increase in applicants? The more applicants the less chance of drawing a tag. Of course there are the same number of successful applicants. That’s the problem. Demand increases (sometimes artificially due to spot burners) but the supply stays the same.

also, they aren’t necessarily coming from different units. The number of new hunters in the West is exploding. I believe most hunters that have been doing it for a while have their specific areas, most of the new hunters are the ones looking online for a “hot” spot.

I want hunting to be growing, especially in the state I live and hunt in.

Being from Colorado, how are you not understanding the implications of what you’re suggesting?

I fully am, that's why I typed it out.

Then I’d suggest typing out the units you hunt, and the specifics within those units, for all the handout wanna be’s that come here seeking unit specific information, so they can get on with their DIY (lol) elk hunts.

Ucsdryder

WKR

that’s like saying I want more guys to sleep with my girlfriend. Have fun!

I can only assume your reasoning is more hunters = more hunter votes? Not sure how non-residents help that. If you want hunting to grow you need more residents. That being said it’s a lost cause. The general population is growing too fast for the voting hunters to catch up and have an impact on the ballot. The other possibility is you just want more people in the woods, but that makes even less sense.

Gerbdog

WKR
Although I too have said there aren’t any secret spots, I had to correct myself this past week.

We found an area and every time we went in there we called in elk. Bulls and cows.

There were several other hunters in the area and we just parked the truck, hiked about 400yds, sat our asses down, made a few calls and started seeing elk.

A heavily hunted OTC unit too.
Also had a spot like that this year, Colorado, extremely heavily hunted OTC, shhhhh don't tell anyone where it is or there will be people filming elk hunting all over it

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
I know a lot of guys complain about "celebrity hunters" and their way of doing things. They are going to be a big influence on future hunters. Especially the YouTubers. If you don't want everyone to turn into the "flat bill Instagram and YouTube hunters" you need to be teaching as many youngsters and new hunters as possible your way. Complaining without a solution is pointless. I would love to see content from old school hunters teaching about ethics and strategies other than "bugle every 100 yards" but there's not much out there that I have seen. At the core people want to learn how to be successful and you would probably convert them and help establish a future generation of ethical respectful hunters.

StillBald

FNG
that’s like saying I want more guys to sleep with my girlfriend. Have fun!
Surely you have to realize that without hunters (and their funds via licenses/taxes/etc.), conservation efforts would be terribly hampered and hunting opportunities would drop off a cliff. I hate bumping into other hunters in the field as much as the next guy, but I also recognize that without other hunters (present day and before my time) I wouldn't have the opportunities I have today to put meat in the freezer.

So, I'm all for more hunters with the hope that'll lead to more hunting opportunities.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Surely you have to realize that without hunters (and their funds via licenses/taxes/etc.), conservation efforts would be terribly hampered and hunting opportunities would drop off a cliff. I hate bumping into other hunters in the field as much as the next guy, but I also recognize that without other hunters (present day and before my time) I wouldn't have the opportunities I have today to put meat in the freezer.

So, I'm all for more hunters with the hope that'll lead to more hunting opportunities.

Oh I get it but you Midwest and east coast guys don’t get it. While hunters are dwindling in your areas, they are exploding in the Rockies. Hunter recruitment is NOT an issue in Colorado. It’s the opposite. Look at the 5 year trend in hunting licenses in Colorado for example. My arguement wasn’t against more hunters, it was against people posting about specific areas.

And I’ll say it again. You’ll never catch population growth in Colorado. You can’t recruit enough hunters to outvote Denver and boulder. And sorry but you out of state guys don’t do much at all for our fight because you don’t have a vote. Cpw does love your money though. Haha

I am sure he was hunting private fenced land so it doesn't really matter that he listed the zone.....Celebrities play by different rules.

Well, there’s no worries of that here in Colorado.
Draw License sales increased 45% I believe, this year alone.

There is such a massive influx of NR hunters here, it’s insane.

To the point, the CPW is limiting otc units and changing licensing structures.
We’re literally, overwhelmed with hunters, and the trend is continuing upwards annually.