Celebration Liquor?

2rocky

WKR
Do you have a favorite brand or drink you celebrate with?

a Post hunt Brandy has become our tradition. Usually Korbel (local company)

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We almost always bring some special beverages along on our trips, as we are in the field for most of our "leisure time" for better than half the year.*I used to make Luke carry a 3L box of wine for me on our trips, but this year he put his foot down and told me I had to find a drink with a better alcohol to weight ratio. I don't typically drink hard alcohol, but there weren't a lot of choices that fit the necessary criteria, so I did a little experimenting. This season, my new backcountry adult beverage of choice has been cranberry Smirnoff vodka mixed with crystal light pink lemonade. One 750ml bottle of alcohol will last the two of us for a five day trip (more if we ration), and we cut weight further by pouring the alcohol into a platypus wine bladder like this:http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/wine-preservation/platypreserve/product
The crystal light packets weigh next to nothing, and I bring extra to flavor plain water when I feel like a change of pace.*Nothing like a celebratory drink, or even just a night cap after a long day of hiking and hunting hard!

Usually we've had Pendleton in camp or my partner loves coconut rum, but I've been weaning myself off liquor in hunting camp this year. Its too easy to kick back and enjoy a few too many around the fire which in turns effects my hunting the next day! Now I usually try to bring a mini shot or two for after notching a tag!:D

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
Yukon Jack
“Yukon Jack is a taste born of hoary nights, when lonely men struggled to keep their fires lit and cabins warm, boldly flavorful yet surprisingly smooth, there is no spirit like Yukon Jack.”

tstowater

WKR
Templeton

I thought only Iowan got to drink that.

Normally, I skip having anything in camp. Just plain easier not having to mess with it. Went on a moose hunt in B.C. once and the rest of the hunters brought along (about a 15 mile horse pack ride in) enough beer and Baileys to float a battleship. I did a mental calculation as we sat in the hotel waiting to get picked up and figured out there really wasn't a way for them to drink it all. Since I was trying to be friendly in camp, I did my best to help, but they still had 4 or 5 cases of beer left when the hunt was over. They were well behaved, but it could have been a bad scene with all the booze.

I celebrate by enjoying the surroundings, but I would take Makers Mark or Crown if I was going to take something.

dotman

WKR
I thought only Iowan got to drink that.

Normally, I skip having anything in camp. Just plain easier not having to mess with it. Went on a moose hunt in B.C. once and the rest of the hunters brought along (about a 15 mile horse pack ride in) enough beer and Baileys to float a battleship. I did a mental calculation as we sat in the hotel waiting to get picked up and figured out there really wasn't a way for them to drink it all. Since I was trying to be friendly in camp, I did my best to help, but they still had 4 or 5 cases of beer left when the hunt was over. They were well behaved, but it could have been a bad scene with all the booze.

I celebrate by enjoying the surroundings, but I would take Makers Mark or Crown if I was going to take something.

It's all about the connections :), wish I could get it in kc.

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
Throw back a couple of homebrews, most of the time a good porter or imperial stout. I can bottle these without carbonating if need be for longer trips. Umm beer