Cell phone booster in truck

CO2130

WKR
Curious if anyone has found any cell phone boosters that aren’t super expensive and seem to work well. Looking for something that can be used in a truck and doesn’t have an antenna that will get destroyed while driving off-road/through brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akrdkill

WKR
what's super expensive?
weboost refurbished & get the external longer antenna
I use them up here in alaska & they work...but yup your looking at 350 or so

OP
CO2130

CO2130

WKR
what's super expensive?
weboost refurbished & get the external longer antenna
I use them up here in alaska & they work...but yup your looking at 350 or so

That’s not bad at all! I’ve been looking at ones $500+ and have heard iffy reviews on cell boosters in general. I’d hate to spend that much to not be happy with it. I’ll check out the weboost, thanks!

mb6355

Lil-Rokslider
I have the weboost with the magnetic external 6" antenna and it definitely works. It almost eliminates coverage holes on most of the highways out west and in the mountains I hunt increased the number of areas I could get a signal significantly.

WVTrooper

Lil-Rokslider
I also have a weboost. I think its the 4G-M model. Been very happy with it. I would echo what Akrdkill said about the longer antenna as well. I had the original magnetic and then upgraded to longer magnetic one and it seemed to make more of a difference, but it would get knocked off on occasion. So I switched to the large one that's a permanent type mount, but has a spring built in to let it flex. No complaints at all.

I have the weboost with the magnetic external 6" antenna and it definitely works. It almost eliminates coverage holes on most of the highways out west and in the mountains I hunt increased the number of areas I could get a signal significantly.

I got one of these this year, it works great boosting the signal for me on the highways so I can work on my laptop while my wife drives, saved me two vacation days from work this year. I'm not convinced that it does a darn thing off the road though. We did some pretty extensive spot testing by parking and powering it on and off and couldn't really tell a difference one way or the other. One thing I will say is that there were quite often times my phone would report 3 bars and 4g data and I couldn't get a text to send nor bring up a basic website like google.com or anything simple. I'm thinking about maybe trying the big rig external antenna but I'm concerned with trees and brush snapping it off. I've seen guys mounting it low on the bed so it doesn't extend over the top of the cab but not sure that would be any more effective than the magnetic antenna (knocked it off three times in Colorado this year).

I used to use a Wilson that cost about $85 in areas with no cell service. It plugged into the cigarette lighter and had a magnet mount external antenna and worked great to allow me to send and receive messages.

tdot

WKR
Antenna height is definitely a huge factor in the success of these units, from my testing on a sailboat. Cell is line of sight, it's rare to have a direct line of sight to the tower and a weak signal. Usually it is a poor angle to the tower or stuff in the way. I found that by getting the antenna higher, I could receive much better signal from a considerably greater distance.

Get the wilson sleek unit. I pay $200 for one up in canada and it works well. I bought a more expensive wilson unit that ran about $500 canadian. It didnt work much better than the $200 unit!

boom

WKR
i am exploring unit. i think i have it down to the WeBoost unit. we are trying to order the one that the long-haul truckers use. the antena is this big cylindrical thing. one of my contractors stated it was the only way he got a signal on our remote jobsites. it is around $500+

akrdkill

WKR
i am exploring unit. i think i have it down to the WeBoost unit. we are trying to order the one that the long-haul truckers use. the antena is this big cylindrical thing. one of my contractors stated it was the only way he got a signal on our remote jobsites. it is around $500+

yup.....the 4G-X is a good all-around unit that can run a few different antennas....look into the RV booster for even more power....bigger & higher decibel gain antennas will pull in weaker signals....keep in mind you'll have to have your phone within 1-3' of the inside antenna also

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
My company sells the WILSON brand. It’s a good product that is made in Utah and many of the workers are hunters/back country guys. Cool company and great product.

Hart6065

FNG
@akrdkill so all I have to do is introduce more power into the system to bypass the manufacturers' built in limits set by the FCC? Seems a little to easy... /s

akrdkill

WKR
my old Wilson came with a 12v output...new ones come with 5-6...you can buy a 12v from there accessories page.......yes your unit will run hotter