Cell Phone Coverage in WY?

Crusader

WKR
Hey guys, my buddy and I will be in NE/NC Wyoming in a couple weeks for antelope rifle season. I'm curious about what to expect as far as cell phone performance. We both have AT&T cell phone service. Which carriers have good service out there in BLM lands away from towns? In most of my outdoor trips to the west, it seems like Verizon has been best. Not that I can change at this point, just curious as what to expect.

I'd expect the closer one is to I-90, the better the reception would be--is that accurate?

I'd expect the closer one is to I-90, the better the reception would be--is that accurate?

Generally true, but there are two spots along I90 between Buffalo and Sheridan that you can lose a call most times. I am not aware of spots between Buffalo and Gillette where calls are lost.

ClearCreek

jmez

WKR
Verizon is the only reliable carrier out here. I wouldn't expect much off the interstate. Even then it is spotty.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

manitou1

WKR
I have AT&T. The areas I hunt around, South and S.E. of Buffalo have pretty good coverage. There are a few spots where I lose it, but I get coverage in quite a lot of the areas. Depends how far off one of the main roads you will be. I don't find myself wanting more... for the most part, if antelope hunting as most kills are within a mile, give-or-take of the road.

Just want to join the tread. I am planning to head out next year.
Will the onx work without cell service? Should we plan to buy a gps and chip?

Thanks, going to buy it later in the year so the year subscription lasts through the hunt next year

In Wyoming, safest bet is to assume zero service in the field, and poor service in towns. Download tons of OnX maps. OnX is the best thing to happen to hunting for me. Knowing where I am has opened up so many areas I thought were all private.

OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
Thanks, Aaron, and all the others who responded. We do have OnX and will be relying on it heavily. Headed for Wyoming this Saturday, can't wait!

Go Pokes

Lil-Rokslider
Hell you hunting, download maps for offline use and unplug from the modern world a bit. I'm pretty happy to not have service, just this guys opinion. Its Wyoming and its pretty dang amazing.

NE/NC Wyoming? What towns are nearby that could give you some idea about coverage. To be honest though, I wouldn't be surprised if you have zero coverage depending on carrier even in some smaller towns. There are times I have minimal service at my house and we aren't in the smallest town in the area.

No service would be nice actually. Unplugging is the key! As long as you download the maps

archp625

WKR
South of Casper was spotty for ATT. I would recommend downloading maps for your area before going out there. Like others said. It works well when you put on airplane mode then get into the app.