Cell Phone Coverage

Thanks, planning to look at "consumer" and others when we get closer. Have a couple more months til phones are paid.

That one uses at&t... I had a coworker that used them and was very happy with them, although he couldnt comment on coverage in remote locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verizon 4 lines (3 paid off) unlimited data and the bill with taxes and fees is $197.xx. We don’t have a land line. I wonder about iPhones having a better antenna. I’m sure the generic androids are hit and miss but I would think that the top end ones would be right there with iPhone. I will say that the IPhone plus seems to be a little better than the small ones.

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
I switched from AT&T to Verizon about 3 years ago, I live in SD. 2 areas I spend a fair amount not time, Glenham and Winner, the Verizon service is far superior.
wmd

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I use very little data, so I use a tracfone sim in an unlocked phone. Between me and my wife I spend about $600 per year on phone service, so $50 a month for two smart phones.

You can get a tracfone sim that works on any of the large networks. Mine uses AT&T.

tdhanses

WKR
I crack up at this, if your worried about service get an inreach and don’t worry unless you are the type that get home sick and have to FaceTime every night.

Tmo will have the best network shortly but you’ll have to have the latest phones to experience it.

bertha

FNG
3 phones Verizon $114 a month unlimited, auto pay , great coverage
thanks for sharing
o.png

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
I use straight talk - same coverage/towers as verizon but cheaper. Its been great for me.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
I crack up at this, if your worried about service get an inreach and don’t worry unless you are the type that get home sick and have to FaceTime every night.

Tmo will have the best network shortly but you’ll have to have the latest phones to experience it.

We have 5 kids, are both professionals, and have elderly parents. We really need to be in contact with home.

Often we have work to do and need access to data as well. The ability to utilize a wi-fi hotspot can often increase our trips by days.

These things may not apply to you or others, but they are critical to us.

tdhanses

WKR
We have 5 kids, are both professionals, and have elderly parents. We really need to be in contact with home.

Often we have work to do and need access to data as well. The ability to utilize a wi-fi hotspot can often increase our trips by days.

These things may not apply to you or others, but they are critical to us.

Sounds like you need a satellite internet hot spot and satt phone because zero cell services are a 100% option when in the back country. But if Verizon has provided this for you in the past sounds like that .005% of time needed is worth the added expense.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

I’m always open to a better value but is T-Mobile expanding coverage in rural areas? I get your point about the sat internet but I’m talking service where it’s reasonable to expect it.

tdhanses

WKR
I’m always open to a better value but is T-Mobile expanding coverage in rural areas? I get your point about the sat internet but I’m talking service where it’s reasonable to expect it.

Yes, it’s a mandated part of the merger with Sprint by the FCC, eventually it’ll probably be the best rural service but not immediately. Service today is not what it was 2 years ago for most companies, it’s always improving expanding.

Here in KS Verizon seems to have the best coverage. I typically go to SASK each fall also and have no problem (or additional cost) when out of the country there.

manitou1

WKR
I think it varies. Depends on who has what tower where possibly. I hunt about 300 sq miles of WY and only a few spots lose service for me. I use ONX and cell out there quite a bit... but this is Buffalo and East, Sheridan, Kaycee areas.

Badseed

WKR
Verizon has significantly more coverage in the higher elevations of california compared to at&t. They cost slightly more but well worth it in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oscarhunt

FNG
Check into sharing a plan with a sibling or other family member as the cost of each plan gets discounted the more you have on one account. My brother switched his family from AT&T to my Verizon account, and we both ended up saving a fair bit of money.

pkgtot66

FNG
Yep, your gps will work independently of cell coverage. Your maps won’t load without data or being predownloaded. Sprint has a very very small footprint in Colorado (outside of the front range). They have/had roaming on Verizon but from my experience the quality wasn’t equal to a Verizon phone. You might benefit from the recent T-Mobile buyout as they opened up their network to sprint users, that will be depending on what frequencies your device was built with.

Thank you. I wanted to be able to mark things and find my way back easier to the truck. Forst time out in the thick woods.

switchback270

Lil-Rokslider
Made the switch from Verizon to Xfinity mobile which I believe runs off of the Verizon network. Haven't noticed any issues in cell coverage. Saving $40 a month with the change while keeping the unlimited data plan. More money for the hunt fund now.