Cell Phone VS GPS

Knippling

FNG
I am curious what everyone's thoughts are on cell phones VS GPS when hunting in the backwoods? I have Basemap which I like a lot but I have a few people who are questioning me on whether or not a cell phone only is a good idea. Also, What are people using to make contact with others while your in areas that have zero reception? I am mainly concerned when in need of emergency. Pros and cons would be greatly appreciated!

Raghornklr

Lil-Rokslider
Zero experience with basemap, but for the last two years I’ve been running my iPhone with onxmaps and it’s been all I’d ever need.
Just make sure you download the maps ahead of time. I leave it on airplane mode and carry a dark energy Poseidon for charging at night.

Rich1201

FNG
Hunted AZ back in September and only used my phone with onxmaps the whole time though I did have my garmin as a backup. Kept in touch with the wife with a garmin in reach mini. Worked great though there is a lag in time to send and receive messages.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pn8hall

WKR
Same here. Cell phone with Onxmaps that I saved for offline use and put phone in airplane mode. Had a gps that I left in camp and used an Inreach to send messages. Dark energy charger for phone charging. Worked perfectly.

Mark86

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer to use a gps with the onX chip over the phone. I don’t want to deal with phone battery life and if you don’t download the maps before you head in you don’t have the maps. But everyone’s got their preference, I prefer the gps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For maps, I really have enjoyed onxmaps for the last couple of years on my iphone. But I still carry a garmin rino to contact nearby hunting partners. In the future, I'll probably get a garmin inreach to contact family at home.

Have a garmin inReach. Where I usually go if you’re 5 mins off the road you lose service. Sometimes text off it via Bluetooth to my phone. Texting on the device itself is laborious, but effective for checking in.

Bigred

FNG
I know im jumping in a few months late.... i have a trip next week where i will have cell service some of the time. This is a one week hunt. I only have enough charging to get by for like 5 days of normal phone use. I plan on turning off my data and using onX offline which i have done in the past for shorter trips. My issue i think im going to run into is that i plan in turning my service on every few daya to check in with the wife. I am afraid that when i turn it back on my phone will self destruct with hundreds of calls and text from work. Im wondering if anyone has a good remedy for this, besides telling everyone to leave me and my phone battery alone for the week. I was thinking of blocking my entire contact list other than the wife.....

zacattack

WKR
Buy a porta
I know im jumping in a few months late.... i have a trip next week where i will have cell service some of the time. This is a one week hunt. I only have enough charging to get by for like 5 days of normal phone use. I plan on turning off my data and using onX offline which i have done in the past for shorter trips. My issue i think im going to run into is that i plan in turning my service on every few daya to check in with the wife. I am afraid that when i turn it back on my phone will self destruct with hundreds of calls and text from work. Im wondering if anyone has a good remedy for this, besides telling everyone to leave me and my phone battery alone for the week. I was thinking of blocking my entire contact list other than the wife.....

Nevermind

JohnIrish

FNG
I use OnX maps on my Android phone... I actually sold my Garmin GPS. The phone has a larger screen and better color! Also it locks into GPS much better. (Sorry Garmin) I also use a compass and just turn on phone when needed.

I'm a new user to onx and basecamp, purchased both in September of this year. I put the Gpsmap 66i up for sale today, that's how I feel about it.

Rich M

WKR
I've been on 2 hunts and my partners have had onX on their phones. It is great to see the aerials.

I use the GPS onX chip and only get topo lines. Also use chip in car GPS. I had issues w built in GPS on my 2019 hunt, it did not always work. GPS did tho.

With the onX subscription being like 35, there is no reason not to have both.

Michael54

WKR
Forward your calls to your office line.

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't even use my gps this year (oregon 600 with ONx chip). I used my phone and an inreach. If you aren't using Onx on your phone you're missing out. The high definition maps are fantastic.

You can follow all your tracks and waypoints online once your hunt is over and make plans for your next hunt. It's the best.

Those saying you don't want to deal with battery life on your phone doesn't really make sense to me. You either have to charge your phone or replace/charge batteries on GPS. Either way, you're worrying about batteries.

403AL

FNG
OnX on an iPhone here. Better battery life than my old gps and better view with the sat photos. Plan ahead and download maps before you hunt areas without service.