Cell service in Alaska

I'll be moving to Alaska in Aug and looking to get input on what company has best cell service/coverage.

In Juneau and surrounding areas Verizon is worthless. ATT seemed to be the clear and obvious choice. Not sure bout Anchorage or other areas. Be a little more specific where you are relocating to.

OP
HuntInWild88
Yup that would be some useful info. I'll be in Anchorage probably living on the base for the first year then see where this housing market is at.
I wasn't sure if there was a ear cut winner when you get away from the cities.
I know here in Idaho verizon has better service in remote areas. But the new "crazy fast" 5G in Boise is garbage!!

If you don’t intend to leave the road system and have Verizon, no sense in really changing unless you find a better plan. I get just as good Verizon on the road system as my GCI phone. Not sure about AT&T.

If your plan to do substantial travel or work in villages off the road system, then look into GCI. I’ve been to about every mid-large size village in AK and several of the tiny ones for work. GCI works in most villages. There are a couple only Verizon works in oddly enough. And a handful where they both work. Work phone was GCI and personal still Verizon so I’ve had a pretty decent side by side comparison.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
I have t mobile and had 5 g service between mt susitna and beluga mountains lol. Made a face time call even.

admin

FNG
I have Verizon and its just ok throughout the state. I would get att, way way better coverage. Since your mil you can get firstnet through att.
Unrelated but get an inreach for when you are not in service.

yhc

WKR
If you plan to move here to live permanently then you can consider GCI.

However if you might PCS out of Alaska in a few years then I would recommend AT&T.

Bluman001

FNG
On the road system ive had no problem with verizon service. Cant speak for off grid or areas off of the road system

I’ve lived in Juneau, Wasilla, and Anchorage and have a cabin N of Talkeetna. ATT has worked great for me.