Cell Service

Wondering what you use for service and how ya like it. We currently have Verizon but are considering switching to a pay per month service It would cost about half as much for the same type of plan. Mainly I guess I am wanting to hear from those of you who have a pay as you go service.

Thanks
Jake

ctdad

FNG
I have Verizon. One of my co-workers recently dropped Verizon and bought one of the pay as you go plans (not verizon). The company claims they use the same towers as the big companies so the service is as good or better. It is simply not true. My co-worker can barely get service while the verizon signal is fairly strong. I have considered going with pay as you go verizon plan though for the cost savings.

weaver

WKR
I have verizon..have service most places. Even in the moutains of Idaho if i get high enough

jmez

WKR
I have Verizon. Only two choices here are Verizon and AT&T. Verizon is more expensive but has much better coverage.

Shrek

WKR
I have Verizon now and its the best coverage I have found. Some companies my have better service locally but overall Verizon wins hands down. I have had AT&T and the old Cingular and the old Alltel before they merged and they weren't as good. I can also tell you that AT&T has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with ! I was on a very large corporate account that you would think would be a priority but I never waited less than a half an hour on the phone to talk to a representative and usually 40 minutes to an hour. They s*cked !

I switched from Verizon to Sprint to save like $20 a month and have regreted it. Its so slow. I do get coverage most everwhere my fellow verizon people get including out in the hills but its as slow as dirt. Doesnt answer your questions really though sorry.

dotman

WKR
I have Sprint and have zero issues in the mountains, disclaimer - I also work for Sprint so I'm biased.

FYI... Sprint owns both Boost and Virgin and they operate on the same network.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
I think most of the pay as you go phones run on the same towers as ATT and T-Mobile. They run off the GSM network. Sprint and Verizon run off the CDMA network. I get no cell service in our hunting area. We have to drive 20 miles to a small town and then both Verizon and ATT barely work. I'm thinking about switching also and save $600 per year.

Verizon's approach to coverage is the winner compared to AT&T. AT&T decided to focus their coverage efforts were most of the people were so they have strong signals in urban and suburban areas but not so much in rural and wilderness areas. Verizon decided to have coverage were people would be using their phones rather than where they lived or worked, so they cover more ground than AT&T. I have AT&T and am tired of having to climb to the top of a ridge to get a signal each night to check in with home.