Cellular Trail Cameras

jobob730

FNG
Does anyone know of a good solution to wanting trail cameras that alert and send live feed, or the video/picture after it's taken it, to your cell phone, while living in an area with no or very poor and spotty cell reception? If not, then for those who have used various cell trail cams, which has the strongest antenna/longest range?

Bland316

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know of a good solution to wanting trail cameras that alert and send live feed, or the video/picture after it's taken it, to your cell phone, while living in an area with no or very poor and spotty cell reception? If not, then for those who have used various cell trail cams, which has the strongest antenna/longest range?
I've been very happy with my Tactacam reveals. They can send pictures and videos

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I agree the tactacam reveal gets signal even in places I have spotty service on my phone. I will say that the worse the service the faster the batteries die. Adding a solar panel really helps.

Your best bet is getting a trailcam that allows an aftermarket booster antenna to be attached and most of them do. That said, no service is no service so you need at least a little service consistently.

Spartan golive cams allow you to watch live stuff. I've never tried them so can't say how they work.

I'll say this, cell cams can be a frustrating thing. You have to troubleshoot issues on most at one point and we have 17 now comprised of 7 different camera models.

OP
J

jobob730

FNG
I agree the tactacam reveal gets signal even in places I have spotty service on my phone. I will say that the worse the service the faster the batteries die. Adding a solar panel really helps.
Ok, thank you, I guess I'll give them a try. I'm surprised to hear they are good considering how low they are priced.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
J

jobob730

FNG
Your best bet is getting a trailcam that allows an aftermarket booster antenna to be attached and most of them do. That said, no service is no service so you need at least a little service consistently.

Spartan golive cams allow you to watch live stuff. I've never tried them so can't say how they work.

I'll say this, cell cams can be a frustrating thing. You have to troubleshoot issues on most at one point and we have 17 now comprised of 7 different camera models.
Ok, cool, I didn't know that. Sounds like a good idea, I'll look into it. Thank you. I do get service on some parts of my property, just not where I'm trying to put cameras, and it can literally be good service at one spot, then move ten feet and completely lose service, even though I'm in the open.

Ok, cool, I didn't know that. Sounds like a good idea, I'll look into it. Thank you. I do get service on some parts of my property, just not where I'm trying to put cameras, and it can literally be good service at one spot, then move ten feet and completely lose service, even though I'm in the open.

Cuddeback has a system that links cameras together through a wireless system that allows you to have one base camera or transmitter in a good service area and communicate with the other cameras and send their pics to your phone. Worth researching.

I just put up a RidgeTec Lookout about a week ago, my first cell cam. So far I’m pretty impressed. It has a simple, yet very capable configuration via the web portal or phone app. It’s pay as you go, no contract, sends instant or scheduled push notifications to your phone or email when there are new pictures. You can then decide if you want the camera to send a higher quality photo or video based on the thumbnail. It also comes with what appear to be good antennas and there are other long range options available for it. They come with sims for both AT&T and Verizon.

I just put up a RidgeTec Lookout about a week ago, my first cell cam. So far I’m pretty impressed. It has a simple, yet very capable configuration via the web portal or phone app. It’s pay as you go, no contract, sends instant or scheduled push notifications to your phone or email when there are new pictures. You can then decide if you want the camera to send a higher quality photo or video based on the thumbnail. It also comes with what appear to be good antennas and there are other long range options available for it. They come with sims for both AT&T and Verizon.

^ The RidgeTec's are my go to cell camera right now. The settings configuration options and video capabilities are the best i've come across. When you buy one it adds a starting lump of "pool points" data that goes on top of your monthly plans. As of right now I have 5 running @ $6 ea/month and I am nowhere close to burning through the spare data that came with them when I first activated them, the first one being about a year ago. You could burn through the data fast if you asked for everything in HD but I find that's not needed and only request what I want in full def. The main negative is daytime pics are kind of meh..

Whisky

WKR
I'm currently using a Spartan GOcam, Tactacam Reveal X, and Stealthcam Fusion X.
The Fusion X chews through batteries much quicker, and have had more issues trying to get it connected to service. I would not buy one again.

The Reveal X has been pretty decent so far, for the cost. The Spartan is obviously the best, as it should be, considering the price compared to the other two.

I’ve been using Spartans and their predecessor cell cameras for about 10 years, and I started getting bad service at my place in OK about 3 years ago. I ended up duct taping the factory antenna to a 14’ pole set up beside the camera with a cable attaching the antenna to the camera, and my camera had service. This was with a 3g Spartan, but since I upgraded to 4g Spartans, my service on my cameras are better than my cell phone.
03FBDA91-8903-4F12-BF1F-E17FBA4BFA14.jpeg

BOFF

FNG
I'm currently using a Spartan GOcam, Tactacam Reveal X, and Stealthcam Fusion X.
The Fusion X chews through batteries much quicker, and have had more issues trying to get it connected to service. I would not buy one again.

The Reveal X has been pretty decent so far, for the cost. The Spartan is obviously the best, as it should be, considering the price compared to the other two.

I’ve been using Spartans and their predecessor cell cameras for about 10 years, and I started getting bad service at my place in OK about 3 years ago. I ended up duct taping the factory antenna to a 14’ pole set up beside the camera with a cable attaching the antenna to the camera, and my camera had service. This was with a 3g Spartan, but since I upgraded to 4g Spartans, my service on my cameras are better than my cell phone.
View attachment 345680
Good info.

I believe I’ll give the Spartans a try!

God Bless,
David B.

ChrisInAK

FNG
How well do these cellular trail cams do in the winter? Single digits to low teen F. Thinking about getting one but the temps stay cold here. Any malfunctions, how’s the battery life?

BOFF

FNG
How well do these cellular trail cams do in the winter? Single digits to low teen F. Thinking about getting one but the temps stay cold here. Any malfunctions, how’s the battery life?

Brrrrrrr!
Man I’m glad to live in the Southeast. As I get older, the colder I get hunting.

The cold has to effect the electronics as well of the cameras.

God Bless,
David B.

ChrisInAK

FNG
Brrrrrrr!
Man I’m glad to live in the Southeast. As I get older, the colder I get hunting.

The cold has to effect the electronics as well of the cameras.

God Bless,
David B.
Some equipment can handle it but I’m more interested in what the batteries can do. I do have WiFi /battery Arlo cameras outside and they seem to start to fail around a few days of 0F.

We welcome the cold hunting (in moderation). Had a caribou hunt a few years ago and it must have been 70F+. We started opting for a later hunt. We go pretty far back on ATVs and hang the meat and chill at camp after. Last year we saw two black bears pretty close to camp after never seeing a bear in the area for 5 years… Hard to sleep at night knowing they are around!

I am also interested in winter caribou hunting, at least that mostly eliminates bear threats. So many things to do and so little time!

^ The RidgeTec's are my go to cell camera right now. The settings configuration options and video capabilities are the best i've come across. When you buy one it adds a starting lump of "pool points" data that goes on top of your monthly plans. As of right now I have 5 running @ $6 ea/month and I am nowhere close to burning through the spare data that came with them when I first activated them, the first one being about a year ago. You could burn through the data fast if you asked for everything in HD but I find that's not needed and only request what I want in full def. The main negative is daytime pics are kind of meh..

Yeah, I really like mine thus far. The only bad thing is that now I want more!